Past #41: Matt McGuinness - delisted end '22 - 0 NM games/goals - thanks Matty

Remove this Banner Ad

We debut him in Walker's spot. Against Geelong. Hawkins and Cameron kick 12 between them. There are multiple shots of him looked dejected on the mark. Dwayne Russell makes a comment about how he might need a Guinness when the game finishes. Like four posters call for him to be dropped and never played again. He goes back to the VFL, we re-elevate Walker and Charlie Curnow kicks 7 on him

Key defender Matt McGuinness played his first full game of competitive football since going down with a foot injury early last season and he put together one of his best games ever in a North jumper.

With fellow key defender Marty Hore exiting the game after a heavy marking contest, the task of marshalling the defence fell to the young Tasmanian and Adams says McGuinness stood up to the challenge brilliantly.

"Matty looked really good in the backline and he was a bit of a general back there. He reads the ball really well in the air and is able to cut angles really well. When he's taking that first option he's a really good user of the ball," he said.

"He was really composed back there which was nice. He just needs to get some consistency in his football and get some games together. If he continues to play like that hopefully he'll be pushing for selection soon."

Matt-McGuinness.png

Matt McGuinness played a key role in marshalling the North Melbourne defence while it was under heavy fire.

We debut him in Walker's spot. Against Geelong. Hawkins and Cameron kick 12 between them. There are multiple shots of him looked dejected on the mark. Dwayne Russell makes a comment about how he might need a Guinness when the game finishes. Like four posters call for him to be dropped and never played again. He goes back to the VFL, we re-elevate Walker and Charlie Curnow kicks 7 on him
chef's kiss

Perfectly described.

Touch early I reckon on Matt, but he is building nicely. Ideally we'd see him have 2-3 games at this level before a debut, but I wouldn't be upset if he came in sooner rather than later. The sooner the better for us as we need more height down back. This is where JZ out of the way helps as we can bring through a few of these guys now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGuinness was shaky early and someone who just rocked half way through the first quarter asked me how he was playing. I said not very well, after that comment McGuinness proceeded to take 2 intercept marks, deliver 3 laser passes and cleaned up some loose balls in defence. The bloke must have though I don't football and he just might be right.

This has Josh Thurgood/Anthony Rocca written all over it.

Kicked 11 between them without MM playing lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back