Player Watch #41 Sam Banks

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree that Banks is a HBF, flip him with Dan - (Rioli on the wing would be damaging and result with goals on the board). With Miller and Brown alongside Banks we have great footskills to find Rioli and Hugo

Definitely don't need another wing from our VFL kids when Coulthard is killing it and not getting a call up.

I think that we should be taking from outside our VFL program with our first two MSD picks ... we need goal kicking ... if Grimes decides Father Time has caught up before then by all means elevate Brindley or Mutaz with a third pick freed up by his retirement.
I believe Grimes won't bc of the injuries we have .

Agree that Banks is a HBF, flip him with Dan - (Rioli on the wing would be damaging and result with goals on the board). With Miller and Brown alongside Banks we have great footskills to find Rioli and Hugo

Definitely don't need another wing from our VFL kids when Coulthard is killing it and not getting a call up.

I think that we should be taking from outside our VFL program with our first two MSD picks ... we need goal kicking ... if Grimes decides Father Time has caught up before then by all means elevate Brindley or Mutaz with a third pick freed up by his retirement.

Coulthard isn't playing on the wing. He is playing high half forward which involves getting most of his possessions high up on the wing. Playing the same role that Seth Campbell is playing at AFL level.

Coulthard isn't playing on the wing. He is playing high half forward which involves getting most of his possessions high up on the wing. Playing the same role that Seth Campbell is playing at AFL level.
I could go and find the VFL reports that mention his play on the wing ... and I could crap on about how I go to every VFL home game... put I could not be farked so whatever you reckon... he does so much more than Campbell ... even flys and brings it ground... Yze clearly has a bias against his height or he would be playing AFL ...

I believe Grimes won't bc of the injuries we have .
What injuries do we have in the backline other than Gibcus??

when your mids are getting smashed it's hard for the wing to have an impact. I think he is fine, just needs to add some frame to his size. Bit light but that is the major issue with all our young guys it seems.
Ralphsmith hasn't had any problems having an impact

I could go and find the VFL reports that mention his play on the wing ... and I could crap on about how I go to every VFL home game... put I could not be farked so whatever you reckon... he does so much more than Campbell ... even flys and brings it ground... Yze clearly has a bias against his height or he would be playing AFL ...

Cool. He still doesn't line up on the wing.

I'm happy for us to pump a few games into Banks while there's no one else demanding the position. He might be only getting the ball 13 times, but McIntosh was having 8 possession games and doesn't use the ball anywhere near as well as Banksy.

I'm happy for us to pump a few games into Banks while there's no one else demanding the position. He might be only getting the ball 13 times, but McIntosh was having 8 possession games and doesn't use the ball anywhere near as well as Banksy.
Yep, get him and a handful of others up to 50 games while we're still in the premiership afterglow and can stomach a bunch of L's.

I like him, I like his skills, but goodness me he is soft. He has no physical presence whatsoever. That part I struggle to tolerate or respect. To be honest, he is much softer then early Hugo which is scary. Nobody is expecting him to be a hard nut thug or even courageous like Baker. Nobody is expecting him to back into dangerous contests. He just has to have general body strength in a contested situation. If he cannot improve in that area he needs to be traded to Tasmania asap. Or sadly delisted. Football is a ruthless and tough business. To be honest I am surprised that the opposition hasn't targeted him as yet for shirking contests. That will come no doubt. Just harden up Son... Your playing a man's game now.

I like him, I like his skills, but goodness me he is soft. He has no physical presence whatsoever. That part I struggle to tolerate or respect. To be honest, he is much softer then early Hugo which is scary. Nobody is expecting him to be a hard nut thug or even courageous like Baker. Nobody is expecting him to back into dangerous contests. He just has to have general body strength in a contested situation. If he cannot improve in that area he needs to be traded to Tasmania asap. Or sadly delisted. Football is a ruthless and tough business. To be honest I am surprised that the opposition hasn't targeted him as yet for shirking contests. That will come no doubt. Just harden up Son... Your playing a man's game now.

I don't really agree. I see him as a player who is primarily outside, and he isn't in a team that allows him to shine. Where I do criticise him is that he doesn't seem to show enough desperation at times. That might look soft, but I see it as a different thing. I wonder if he still isn't up to AF speed yet. many young players look 'soft' and out of the game, then it clicks and suddenly you have a brand new player.

I don't really agree. I see him as a player who is primarily outside, and he isn't in a team that allows him to shine. Where I do criticise him is that he doesn't seem to show enough desperation at times. That might look soft, but I see it as a different thing. I wonder if he still isn't up to AF speed yet. many young players look 'soft' and out of the game, then it clicks and suddenly you have a brand new player.

Very good post. A lot of it is uncertainty. Banks has good attributes, he will get there in the end.

He's outside...he's like that other F/S we had who was outside...then outside the Club...goneski!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BINGO

Posters complain we don’t play kids, kids stay in the side, posters complain they weren’t dropped
Yes and no. If they've been given a good run and need to find form and confidence again, why not put them into the VFL and bring in youngsters who are in form in the VFL? That way we also put games into more youngsters. I would say Campbell and Banks for Coulthard and Smith if I were in charge of picking the team.

You just have to look at him to understand why, he's bloody tiny. Genuinely built like a child. I remember a preseason video where they caught him saying he hates the gym work and can't wait to be out of there, so no extra sessions for Sam.
Needs to be made his sole focus this offseason like it was for Coulthard who was Banks's size and has now progressed to the 'comfortable sleeveless' stage.

You just have to look at him to understand why, he's bloody tiny. Genuinely built like a child. I remember a preseason video where they caught him saying he hates the gym work and can't wait to be out of there, so no extra sessions for Sam.
Needs to be made his sole focus this offseason like it was for Coulthard who was Banks's size and has now progressed to the 'comfortable sleeveless' stage.

He needs the gym. If he won't put that work he's starting from a long way back

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #41 Sam Banks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back