Senior 43. Ashton Moir

Remove this Banner Ad

As an aside, I really like Wil White as a player....doubtful he gets AFL listed, but he's been really impressive in the half forward role. Bewdiful left foot as well, knows where the goals are.

I agree with your assessment of Ashton though, something aint right. You can already see the amazing skills he has when he gets the pill, but there's definitely something missing which is holding him back.
Yep, fitness

Yeah, NAH.

Bloke isn’t right, but the body is an amazing machine.

Ne had 12 months of trying to live up to his potential, to put himself on display to create a career in the game. Well documented he has issues. Hips, groin? Basically core. Our bodies and brains protect ourselves.

Surely if he is playing regular footy, in a professional environment, his body is OK. That doesn’t mean that he has confidence in his body, that he is pushing himself in the contest and giving 100%. Consciously or subconsciously he is holding back.He is competing, but they are straight line, mostly single effort involvements.

I am very much hoping it is a confidence thing. An interview on game day with Wil White just after Ashton kicked his goal suggested that (from memory) Ashton is a phenomenal player. Suggesting he is still doing the spectacular on the training track at the very least.

If it is not confidence, we have a problem. If it is confidence, let’s allow the staff to build up his body and his mind. He is signed for three years we have to back him and his mentors in.
Ah yes, because no one's ever played through OP before

Ah yes, because no one's ever played through OP before
There is absolutely no reason the club would be having a first year player playing twos in the bottom VFL team if they had OP. To suggest he's secretly got injured after a lacklustre beginning to his career for us is a bit disingenuous imo.

As someone who's struggled with severe OP before I wouldn't say he's displaying the symptoms of it whatsoever either.

The reason he dropped in the draft so much was due to his timidness, strength and overall lack of intensity, three traits he's clearly been instructed to try and work on with us. His acceleration, top end speed and overall agility/movement look exactly the same as they did as a junior (albeit not really a strength of his imo).

Right now he's an outside player with beautiful skills but no way of beating his opponent as he can't match them for strength and he can't beat them on the lead. That's probably why the club has been throwing him around to see if he's more suited to playing on ball or on the wing, he's a fantastic user when he gets it, he just can't really get his hands on the thing at this stage of his development.

As someone who's struggled with severe OP before I wouldn't say he's displaying the symptoms of it whatsoever either.

The reason he dropped in the draft so much was due to his timidness, strength and overall lack of intensity, three traits he's clearly been instructed to try and work on with us. His acceleration, top end speed and overall agility/movement look exactly the same as they did as a junior (albeit not really a strength of his imo).
To my mind they don't look the same. He regularly looks substantially slower and less explosive, not just lacking fitness.

Playing through pain does that to you, but we're outside looking in here and it could be any number of injuries where they have opted for management over surgery/rest. We'll probably find out if I'm right or not in August.

To my mind they don't look the same. He regularly looks substantially slower, not just lacking fitness.

Playing through pain does that to you, but we're outside looking in here and it could be any number of injuries where they have opted for management over surgery/rest. We'll probably find out if I'm right or not in August.
I understand what you're saying with his general plodding sort of style but if you go back and watch his games from even before his 18s year he just wasn't an explosive sort of player in anything but the aerial contest. He has a lovely sidestep and he can spring up for a mark but he has never been a good runner. He has Ollie and Elijah's speed/acceleration but nowhere near the elite tank that both of them do.

If you aren't convinced though, coming from a logical perspective there's just absolutely no reason we'd be playing him hurt right now. The reserves year is done and dusted, he's no chance of playing in the 1s this year and he looks to be losing confidence by the game. The club would be putting him on ice if he was battling with injury.

I understand what you're saying with his general plodding sort of style but if you go back and watch his games from even before his 18s year he just wasn't an explosive sort of player in anything but the aerial contest. He has a lovely sidestep and he can spring up for a mark but he has never been a good runner. He has Ollie and Elijah's speed/acceleration but nowhere near the elite tank that both of them do.

If you aren't convinced though, coming from a logical perspective there's just absolutely no reason we'd be playing him hurt right now. The reserves year is done and dusted, he's no chance of playing in the 1s this year and he looks to be losing confidence by the game. The club would be putting him on ice if he was battling with injury.
I'm saying he's lost that aerial explosion too, as well as the elite step he had. Something has to be up beyond aerobic endurance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back