Number: 43
Height: 182cm
Weight: 74kg
D.O.B: 20/05/1988

Career Stats
Games: 0
Goals: 0​

-Biography-
Medium midfielder with a good endurance/speed combination. Jaxson displays a wonderful ability to accelerate away from the contest once in possession. A late developer who played as an overage player for the Falcons in 2007. The son of former Magpie great Ricky Barham (151 games from 1977-86), Jaxson was selected by Collingwood as a father/son pick (No. 61 overall) in the 2006 AFL Draft. He played 14 games in the VFL side for the 2008 season.

From surfboard to Sherrin
JAXSON Barham’s life was turned upside down on Monday when Collingwood made him the latest addition to the Magpie family.

Barham, 19, is more accustomed to spending his time in the surf at Lorne or Barwon Heads, but will swap his board for a Sherrin now that the Pies have successfully claimed him under the new father-son bidding system.

“This morning when I woke up it was just like any other day and then [Collingwood recruiter] Noel Judkins rang me and said ‘We’ve got you’ and it all of a sudden hit me,” Barham says.

“I just had a big sigh of relief kind of thing. I was overjoyed. It’s great. I’m just over the moon now.”

Jaxson’s dad Ricky played 151 games for Collingwood in a career stretching from 1977 to 1986 and is now part of Sydney’s recruiting team.

"It's a very proud for the family and for Jaxson in particular,” Ricky says.

"Footy wasn't always his focus. As a young bloke, he was a mad surfer. He lives on the coast, so that was where he is at and when he got older, he got more into it."

So was there any thought to giving his boy a job in Sydney?

"I think there was,” he replies. “He was on our list and he was on a lot of lists, from what I heard, but it was just the whole scenario of trying to work out how [the father-son bidding process] was going to operate, [this] being the first time.

“I think clubs in the trading weren't sure what picks to give up and we were like that."

The Magpies nominated Jaxson – who played TAC Cup in 2007 as one of two 19-year-olds for the Geelong Falcons – after an impressive season which culminated in him being named in the competition’s team of the year.

It didn’t take long for word of his big news to spread, with club president Eddie McGuire one of the first to congratulate him.

“That was a bit surprising,” he admits. “I was on my way into TAFE and I got this phone call from a private number and I thought ‘who could this be?’ and he goes, ‘G’day, it’s Eddie McGuire’.

“I was quite taken aback and didn’t know what to think, but it was good. He was really nice to me and welcomed me to the family.

“I didn’t believe him at the start and I kind of didn’t know what to do and then I realised it was him. Afterwards I was like, ‘I just spoke to Eddie McGuire!’”

Standing at 182cm, the hard-running defender is blessed with the same lightning pace as his father, but his desire to have both feet planted on a surfboard more often than not saw him playing his early football with Lorne in the local league.

It was only at the start of this year that he was convinced to make the step up in class and he hasn’t looked back.

“I didn’t know what to expect but when I played my first game I loved it,” he says.

“I enjoyed the professionalism of playing at the next level and the standard of competition was just real good. I had a pretty good season and we made the finals with the Falcons … but then unfortunately we bombed out.”

Jaxson shared the experience with Falcons teammate Adam Donohue, who will join Geelong after the Cats’ successful bid for him.

The prospect of joining a club that has shown such a willingness to promote its youth is an exciting one for Barham.

“It will be great going into a club that’s really good with development,” he says.

“You look at their side and all the young players are outstanding and to go into an environment like that just shows me that I can hopefully excel as well.

“Their development coaches and development area is just really good, so I’m going to be super keen to get down there and work with those blokes.”

Despite his obvious joy at being selected by the Pies, Barham is just 74kg, and knows he has plenty of work to do before making an AFL debut.

“I’ve got to build my frame up a bit because I am a bit scrawny at the minute,” he says.

“I’ve got a lot of developing to do with my kicking and gaining a bit more knowledge of ‘inside’ football stuff. There’s heaps of different little things that I’ll be working hard on.”

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5586/Default.aspx?newsId=52306

Highlights from last year 08:

[YOUTUBE]voDquhBG5Cg&feature=channel_page[/YOUTUBE]

The famous Barham name will continue its Collingwood legacy on Friday night when Jaxson, son of Ricky (151 games, 140 goals), runs out for his first senior game. Jaxson, who was selected by Collingwood as a father/son pick (No. 61 overall) in the 2006 AFL Draft, played 14 games in the VFL side last year

Good Luck to Jaxson!

Barham wins Rising Star

Jaxson Barham may have always been destined to one day play for Collingwood but he was still surprised when he heard last week that he was going to make his debut against the Brisbane Lions.

Barham was told by coach Mick Malthouse last Tuesday that he would line up for the Pies.

He responded with 28 disposals, nine tackles and the NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for round four.

“I was just chilling in the spa with a few of the boys and Mick came up and shook my hand,” he said.

“I was pretty happy at the time but I knew I had a tough task ahead and tried to focus on playing my role with the club.”

That role in his debut game was to run with Luke Power, one of the star midfielders of the AFL. It was a task that would be daunting for any player, let alone a first-gamer.

“I think most of my nerves were because I was playing on him. He’s such a champion and I was pretty nervous to line up against him,” Barham said.

“He showed me a lot about being a good midfielder. He took me to a lot of the right spots at the stoppages and that probably got me a few extra possies. I also saw just how hard you have to run.

“I watched a few of his edits from previous games and I was pretty nervous watching them. He was pretty tough but he was really fair as well. It was a great experience.”

While the youngster has worn the tag of ‘Ricky Barham’s kid’ his entire life, he says he has never felt his dad’s reputation was a burden.

“A lot of people ask if there is a lot of pressure on me. It’s not at all because he’s always let me do my own thing whether it be football or anything in life,” he said.

“He’s never pressured me and just gave advice when I’ve needed it. He’s always wanted me to build my own career and never put any pressure on me.”

Naturally, Barham has followed Collingwood his entire life and watched with keen interest as the Magpies and Lions built a strong rivalry in the early part of the decade. He says the rivalry is still well and truly alive after seeing it from a first-hand perspective.

“It was such a high-pressure game. Going out there you definitely notice the intensity, it’s just so high and everyone goes in so hard. There was a lot of passion.”

collingwoodfc.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

#43 Jaxson Barham -2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back