#44 - Ben Dowdell

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a lot of love for Ben. Very risky and will be interested if he will ever make it. Thought he was outside the rookie list so therefore he was not a 'freebie' as everyone claimed. Not wrting him off, just thought we would have learnt by past mistakes. Bolger might have been a better option if Dowdell was on a seperate list

I don't know Stabby. I am confused. Thought i understood the rules but clearly i don't. Mabey he is. So therefore we had six picks to fill, appparently passed on 83 with the extra 'outside' allocation pick 89?

I believe he is classed as 'alternative talent' and is classed as outside the rookie list. At present we have 7 rookies and 1alternative talent. I think. Someone wrote on the first rookie thread, i think it was, the reasoning behind passing on a pick. Can't remember, but when I read the reason it did actually make sense. Sorry for the vagueness :)

I believe he is classed as 'alternative talent' and is classed as outside the rookie list. At present we have 7 rookies and 1alternative talent. I think. Someone wrote on the first rookie thread, i think it was, the reasoning behind passing on a pick. Can't remember, but when I read the reason it did actually make sense. Sorry for the vagueness :)

There's 8 rookie spots, 2 of which can be taken up by veteran listed players. We currently have 6 rookie listed players, with 1 veteran (Doughty) and 1 spot unfilled. Then we have Sam Martyn (NSW scholarship) and Ben Dowdell (alternative talent) who are rookies, but aren't included as a part of our 8 allocated rookie/veteran spots.

If we fill those 8 spots, then we must nominate 1 of our rookies at the start of the season to be instantly upgraded to the senior list. This is without having to put someone on the Long Term Injury list.

If we leave 1 spot open, we don't have to nominate anyone at the start of the season, we can do it whenever we like, thus allowing us extra flexibility to upgrade a rookie mid season.

For an example, if we'd filled all 8 spots and thus nominated Ian Callinan as our upgraded rookie, but Will Young started tearing it up in the SANFL and there was no one on the LTI list, Young couldn't play. This way we can wait and see a bit more and potentially chop and change if need be (not entirely sure on this final point).

Ben Dowdell
Alternative Rookie
DOB: 27/9/1988
Height: 203cm
Weight: 100kg
Number: 44

Ben+Dowdell+qH3Eetfvpi7m.jpg

Noble says: "Has played four years of college basketball, but Ben has a rugby background so unlike some of the guys to come through the basketball system, he relishes the physical contests and nature of the game. He still has a bit to learn but we’ve been pleasantly surprised with his progress to date.”

Mods please put in the Locker Room

Has just said on Twitter that he's just moved into a new house with Josh Jenkins. Hope it has high ceilings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back