Retired #45: Conor McKenna ☘️ - Returning to the AFL to play with Brisbane - 17/11

Remove this Banner Ad

i wonder how he views the club? Who were his mates at essendon?
the small forward spot is wide open now
It would be interesting to know how the different people at Essendon handled his homesickness/departure. From the outside it seemed they were supportive.

Hopefully he doesn’t read Facebook to see how the fans handled it🤣

id take him back no problems in a flash.
Thing that shits me is he left due to covid, broke a contract and there are already 3-4 other slimey clubs trying to lure him over. Reminds me of the vultures after the saga all trying to cash in.
Essendon took him, developed him and some shit stain club like geelong will end up with him.

i wonder how he views the club? Who were his mates at essendon?
the small forward spot is wide open now

After bit of a social media stalk this morning on his Twitter...

I've noticed that the most recent post he 'liked' was our Essendon Twitter account congratulating him on winning the premiership In Ireland last year - and no, not because he hasn't been using Twitter since last year...

He'd been liking posts etc as recently as a few weeks ago, so he's been active on it this whole time. So presumably he's liked that Essendon tweet in the last few days... bit of a conspiracy theory here, but that seems a bit too coincidental? Almost as if he's putting the lure out to us?

A bit of a reach maybe, but odd timing all the same!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stalking back through this thread is interesting...

When he played as a midfielder in a scratch match at the end of 2020:

Well that was unexpected 😱
Defender, forward, midfielder... How long until he gets a go in the ruck?

The goodbye article and video, and then mentions he'd like to get to 100 AFL games one day...
just watched his farewell video

i think we could have done a lot better by him.

Article smashing the meedya on the way out:

Good read

Nice example used for the bottom feeders he's calling out:

View attachment 956591

Goodbye post on socials:
View attachment 963296

Love this clip on the way out

Some stuff he said about coming back for half a season if a team is going well... (probably didn't realise a mid-season draft means you don't get to pick which club you land at):
“I don’t think it’s totally done,” McKenna told reporters this week.

“There’s a thing in the AFL where you can get a mid-season draft so you can actually get drafted in June and go out from June until September. It’s only really a two or three-month thing.

“I do think the possibility may be there in three or four years with Gaelic, the way they’re talking about a split season.

“If Tyrone was out and the club was out of the championship and there was a possibility of going over (to the AFL) for two or three months, it’s not something I’d close the door on.”

The car haha:
Love this... see you soon Conor

Winning the SAM:
View attachment 1233694

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Not sure if its been mentioned elsewhere, but great story and happy for him.

Reconsidering his options:

You know you want to Conor. ;)

After bit of a social media stalk this morning on his Twitter...

I've noticed that the most recent post he 'liked' was our Essendon Twitter account congratulating him on winning the premiership In Ireland last year - and no, not because he hasn't been using Twitter since last year...

He'd been liking posts etc as recently as a few weeks ago, so he's been active on it this whole time. So presumably he's liked that Essendon tweet in the last few days... bit of a conspiracy theory here, but that seems a bit too coincidental? Almost as if he's putting the lure out to us?

A bit of a reach maybe, but odd timing all the same!
John C Reilly Seriously GIF

id take him back no problems in a flash.
Thing that shits me is he left due to covid, broke a contract and there are already 3-4 other slimey clubs trying to lure him over. Reminds me of the vultures after the saga all trying to cash in.
Essendon took him, developed him and some s**t stain club like geelong will end up with him.
I don't begrudge hom going home due to Covid. Everyone had different concerns around it, some more intense than others. He didn't want to be locked out of his country and away from his family. I can respect that.

Overall he is better than Hind, so makes our team better.

Depends on what we are willing to pay & his motivations.

If he wants to play finals Geelong would be a front runner but at the same time they have a pretty robust recruiting process to weed out false intentions.

I just don't think we need him, even if we can afford him... although he could bring better defensive pressure to the forwardline...
Speed. Good foot skills. Can play forward or back. I think we could use him and he fills a need.

Speed. Good foot skills. Can play forward or back. I think we could use him and he fills a need.
I'm thinking about his age and the development stage of our list. If Daveys and Sheezel are added to Dambro and Menzie, McKenna complicates their development. He's also a bit up himself so I'm not sure about that influence.

On the other hand, we need list depth and higher standards, so McKenna in forces someone to lift their game at VFL level.
I dunno. Maybe there is a need.

I'm thinking about his age and the development stage of our list. If Daveys and Sheezel are added to Dambro and Menzie, McKenna complicates their development. He's also a bit up himself so I'm not sure about that influence.

On the other hand, we need list depth and higher standards, so McKenna in forces someone to lift their game at VFL level.
I dunno. Maybe there is a need.
How does having experience complicate development ?

How does having experience complicate development ?
Pretty simple line of thought he's going with. If McKenna comes back it's one less spot in the 22 for one of the young blokes.

It's also one less spot in their potential ideal spot in the VFL to learn their craft in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back