Player Watch #47 - Oliver Hayes-Brown (Category B Rookie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we potentially found one here?

Have not seen a second of footage of his first 2 VFL games but his stats look impressive.

Bit of a rundown would be nice please.
I have high hopes on him and basically have followed his game with Blight and Gray as I pretty well know most of the other players.
He’s very strong and almost impossible to move or bump out of the way.
Breaks practically every tackle bc he’s so strong in torso and legs.
He’s got a poor leap in the ruck and for marking atm , but still wins a truckload of hit outs.
Not confident at kicking and is always looking to handball which slows our play down, but it’s a confidence thing which will improve after a dozen or more games.
When we win a free or mark in a stoppage he was slow to run further up the field to either attack or defend and his more experienced opponent outsmarted him a few times. Again this is development and immaturity in the job.
Marks aren’t quite sticking yet
Midfielders are really gelling well with him and are looking more confident.

A lot to work with and I can see a future in him.

I have high hopes on him and basically have followed his game with Blight and Gray as I pretty well know most of the other players.
He’s very strong and almost impossible to move or bump out of the way.
Breaks practically every tackle bc he’s so strong in torso and legs.
He’s got a poor leap in the ruck and for marking atm , but still wins a truckload of hit outs.
Not confident at kicking and is always looking to handball which slows our play down, but it’s a confidence thing which will improve after a dozen or more games.
When we win a free or mark in a stoppage he was slow to run further up the field to either attack or defend and his more experienced opponent outsmarted him a few times. Again this is development and immaturity in the job.
Marks aren’t quite sticking yet
Midfielders are really gelling well with him and are looking more confident.

A lot to work with and I can see a future in him.
What u think of blight and Gray TI , close to a call up or just plenty to work with leave ‘em develop . I’m inclined to throw blighty to the wolves he’s a big strong bugga , see what he can do . CG needs to add a stone in weight I’d say

What u think of blight and Gray TI , close to a call up or just plenty to work with leave ‘em develop . I’m inclined to throw blighty to the wolves he’s a big strong bugga , see what he can do . CG needs to add a stone in weight I’d say
Gray played a Forward/ Ruck role and gave OHB a chopout and I was impressed more with his ruckwork than forward role on Saturday. He has a magnificent vertical leap , is agile and flexible in body movement. He seems to be very clued up as he learns his role very quickly and looks so professional like he’s been doing it as his first position . Goes for a lot of marks and needs to hang onto a few more.
I would play him instead of Kosi and Ryan as he looks a real good prospect. Some say he’s not physically strong enough, but he’s 195cm / 92kg a was jumping on their ruckman’s head on the weekend and he was annoying the crap out of him bc he had no answer for him. Maybe another 3-7kg and he will be better for it, but I like what I’m seeing with him as his leap and footy smarts are impressive.

Blight looks very comfortable positioning himself and reading the ball in flight and play and bc of this he takes a lot of marks . His marking is his strength and he rarely drops them. Whether it’s contested or uncontested he is very comfortable .I’m concerned with his running with the ball as he gets a bit lost and panics so I’m not sure if it’s decision making, adjusting to the pace or just nerves. Noticed it in all his games so far with fumbles picking the ball up. He’s better when he marks and dishes off as that is clean , it’s more with mopping up work and when he has to dispose of it. It sort of sends the David Ashbury fear of panic in me in which Dave to his credit improved greatly over the years.
He played on either Mitch Lewis and that Scaife ( who is very impressive) and he broke even with them on the day with Brindley. They all played well and it was actually quite entertaining having four very good footballers having a ding dong battle in the one area of the ground. I think he would be a massive improvement on Young only bc of his marking as we need someone to help flossy in this area as he’s looking a bit undersized down there . I think both players should get a game soon as they both look like they could handle the next step.

Gray played a Forward/ Ruck role and gave OHB a chopout and I was impressed more with his ruckwork than forward role on Saturday. He has a magnificent vertical leap , is agile and flexible in body movement. He seems to be very clued up as he learns his role very quickly and looks so professional like he’s been doing it as his first position . Goes for a lot of marks and needs to hang onto a few more.
I would play him instead of Kosi and Ryan as he looks a real good prospect. Some say he’s not physically strong enough, but he’s 195cm / 92kg a was jumping on their ruckman’s head on the weekend and he was annoying the crap out of him bc he had no answer for him. Maybe another 3-7kg and he will be better for it, but I like what I’m seeing with him as his leap and footy smarts are impressive.

Blight looks very comfortable positioning himself and reading the ball in flight and play and bc of this he takes a lot of marks . His marking is his strength and he rarely drops them. Whether it’s contested or uncontested he is very comfortable .I’m concerned with his running with the ball as he gets a bit lost and panics so I’m not sure if it’s decision making, adjusting to the pace or just nerves. Noticed it in all his games so far with fumbles picking the ball up. He’s better when he marks and dishes off as that is clean , it’s more with mopping up work and when he has to dispose of it. It sort of sends the David Ashbury fear of panic in me in which Dave to his credit improved greatly over the years.
He played on either Mitch Lewis and that Scaife ( who is very impressive) and he broke even with them on the day with Brindley. They all played well and it was actually quite entertaining having four very good footballers having a ding dong battle in the one area of the ground. I think he would be a massive improvement on Young only bc of his marking as we need someone to help flossy in this area as he’s looking a bit undersized down there . I think both players should get a game soon as they both look like they could handle the next step.
I think we have nothing to lose in giving these 2 guys a taste of AFL before the season is over, as I think they offer something we need with our list where it is. I have been impressed in the couple of games they have played & also gives them the chance on earning an extension to there contracts for the future.

I think we have nothing to lose in giving these 2 guys a taste of AFL before the season is over, as I think they offer something we need with our list where it is. I have been impressed in the couple of games they have played & also gives them the chance on earning an extension to there contracts for the future.
Yeah I think they will get a game soon. On their contracts did they get 6 months or 18 months?

Yeah I think they will get a game soon. On their contracts did they get 6 months or 18 months?
I think they are both on 6 month contracts, I read when we drafted Blight was after a 6 month contract, not 100% on Gray. So would be fair to give them a chance with how we are playing at the moment & with a few players still to come back & send a message to a few senior players that you are no longer guaranteed a game, you need to earn it. As we need to show if you are playing decent footy you will get a game.

I think they are both on 6 month contracts, I read when we drafted Blight was after a 6 month contract, not 100% on Gray. So would be fair to give them a chance with how we are playing at the moment & with a few players still to come back & send a message to a few senior players that you are no longer guaranteed a game, you need to earn it. As we need to show if you are playing decent footy you will get a game.
Both on 6 month contracts. Reckon we will elevate Bauer at the end of season, cut Coulthard and keep Blight and Gray.

Club is very impressed with OHB. His first game metrics had him quite ahead of where they expected him to be. They said he was way ahead of where Soldo was in his first game and we all know how handy Soldo has become as a ruckman.

Obviously still very green but he has the work rate and attitude to get him places fast. He shed 15kg from his basketball weight to help him get around the ground. Great stuff.

Club is very impressed with OHB. His first game metrics had him quite ahead of where they expected him to be. They said he was way ahead of where Soldo was in his first game and we all know how handy Soldo has become as a ruckman.

Obviously still very green but he has the work rate and attitude to get him places fast. He shed 15kg from his basketball weight to help him get around the ground. Great stuff.

You would hope so given Ivan was about 18/19 when he first played for the club and OHB is 24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to learn to jump at the footy especially in centre bounce ruckwork, no point being 208cm if you can't jump. He prefers to lock and grapple and use his reach, but against strong or tall rucks that won't work.

Was happy to see that he more than held his own when grappling against his similar sized opponent, but needs to build up the core strength and legs to do that against AFL rucks. Has plenty of good attributes other than that, well his kicking is pretty bad, but that should improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #47 - Oliver Hayes-Brown (Category B Rookie)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back