Retired # 5: Brent Stanton - Essendon VFL Head Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

He was a very good player and would've gotten a game in any essendon side over the years.

Was tagged by opposition coaches. So other clubs rated him highly and knew his run and carry was vital to us.

I recall his game in the 2011 draw against Carlton. We had one in the bench and 3 injuries, no rotations. Every player was stuffed and Stanton that last quarter got 10 or 11 touches and kept running and presenting as an option that last quarter due to his fitness.

I will remember him and jobe as our two best during very lean decade. In a good side would've carved them up.

It took me longer than I'd care to admit to appreciate Stanton. With the benefit of hindsight I can see that the problem was never with Stanton but with the crappy sides he played in until about 2011.

All you can really ask of a player is for him to work as hard as Stanton worked and to get as much as possible out of his skill level and his body. Not everyone can be a star and we all know that good teams are usually made up of a much larger support cast.

He was a perfectly solid footballer who would have been good enough to play in any of the premiership sides from the point that his game matured (in about 2009 from memory) - had he been drafted to any of those sides.

Stanton would have been a more popular player had he played in a better side where the expectation was not on him to lead a midfield. Having said that, in the 100 games he played between his 100th and his 200th he did a pretty damn good job of leading the midfield with Watson.

It's extremely unfair that he toiled away during the dark ages only for the supplements saga to have robbed him of the chance to be part of a decent side during his prime.

Bruno, this sums up my thinking as well.
Anyone that gives themselves to Essendon deserves all the praise they can get.
Cheers for the efforts Stants.

I will miss Stants.

Was always underrated by the club and AFL in general.

Underrated by the club??? Finished top 3 in b&f 4 or 5 times, leadership group, played 255 games, he wasn't underrated by the club at all. Was underrated by a lot of idiot supporters who don't watch the game closely or understand the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't help myself but to look back through some stats on Stants - how was his 2012 season...!!!

20 games - ave possessions - 24.8, inside 50's - 4.7, goals - 0.6, marks - 6.4, tackles - 4.3 - plus 14 Brownlow votes..and I believe the highest ever dreamteam score for a mid field player of 193 points.

He was not a champion but in his prime (that 2012 season) not far off...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back