Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH, no idea, what podcasts you're talking about. No further info to add. Just offering an opinion on what I have seen, heard and read.

The podcast is a recording of the specific radio discussion, out of which originated the headline and article about SOS’s comments re SPS’s training.

Lot of guys at the club seem to get by doing just enough. They learned from the best.

Are we talking past or present tense

New President, CEO, and the whole football department has been overhauled. Completely new coaching
Another poster made a really good point that Teague deciding to play him at half back may have been because after seeing him day in day out, Teague thought he didn’t have the attributes to make it as a half forward\midfield type.
If you couple that with the fact that Samo couldn’t shine under not one, but two coaches despite getting lots of chances to prove himself, then maybe it’s less of a case of Carlton not developing the player and more so a case of the player not being able to step up.
Either way I’d like to revisit this in 12-24 months of seeing Samo play at a different club before I’m willing to sh!t can our development program.

Don't think it was a case of not being able to shine as a mid, moreso the change of youth to experience players in the middle from Bolton to Teague

Unfortunately, both coaches were mostly inflexible/extreme in gameplan and player positions

Rolling into 2020/2021, some players suffered, Setters, SPS, especially from form shown in their best position to secondary, unaccustomed roles

Personally, at WC, SPS will play that mid/forward role and his output will mirror his 2018 year. What happens after that, will be up to SPS

Just curious, what would you do if the club played you in the incorrect position for 2 years, yet you gave your best but failed. Then they finally move you upfield but decide they need to play you as a sub for a month and then relegated you. Even then you go back and play well in the VFL and even though the club is decimated with injuries in the last 2 games, they refuse to give you a call up. Then, after all that, they don’t offer you a contract. Tell me, what would you do?

What is really frustrating, is reading all the negatives and it saddens me more reading posts trying to attack the guys character. Speaking to some, he was one of the most liked and best clubman within our playing group. Interesting indeed.
That’s fine but, other than a handful of games he never really displayed the speed, strength or tricks to be a mid. Should have been played as a HHF. Too late now.

Are we talking past or present tense

New President, CEO, and the whole football department has been overhauled. Completely new coaching

Don't think it was a case of not being able to shine as a mid, moreso the change of youth to experience players in the middle from Bolton to Teague

Unfortunately, both coaches were mostly inflexible/extreme in gameplan and player positions

Rolling into 2020/2021, some players suffered, Setters, SPS, especially from form shown in their best position to secondary, unaccustomed roles

Personally, at WC, SPS will play that mid/forward role and his output will mirror his 2018 year. What happens after that, will be up to SPS
With Willie Rioli back, and all their talls, not sure SPS will get much of a gig there either.

If you can't see the difference in acquiring flankers versus acquiring key position players (Lever had the luxury of being third tall while his body developed but was always going to be a KPD, May was still a co-captain despite supposed 'cultutal issues' which were never to the level of a Dixon and his talent beyond question) then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

KP's always carry significant cost. Flankers do not.

You'd better bloody hope Williams plays a greater role. However, until he proves physically capable of doing that he's an overpaid flanker.

We're also investing close to or more than a million per season for a pair of midfielders and it's expected that Stocker will assume a position there as well. That leaves fewer opportunities for the likes of Williams to impose himself.
Fine and dandy. What would you offer Caleb Daniel? Half back flankers aren’t ‘extra’ positions of years past. Saad is a jet, Williams will find his role. They have has ONE season.

SPS was a bust and we shouldn't have taken him at pick 5 or 6 or whatever it was. Easy to say with hindsight though. His style of player rarely works out though. I wouldn't be spending a top 10 pick on someone like him. You go low risk with top 10 picks

He wasn't a risk in any way. 12 months prior to the 2016 draft, he was considered the number 1 prospect. Prior to the draft, Knightmare had him going at #4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weitering. Walsh. Cripps. McKay. Charlie Curnow. Jones. Silvagni. Plowman. Martin. Fisher. Kennedy. De Koning. Cunners. Owies. Potential of Dow and others. All in or entering their prime.

All but two of those acquired under SOS.

Saad and Williams too though the price we paid was steep. Now Hewett and hopefully Cerra.

If we rise next year watch our current list management get the kudos for it when the bulk of the work was done previous.

Maybe. But Lever and May had underwhelming years first up for example . I think its only fair to judge these 2 once they are fit, settled and understand the game play. Saad had a reasonable first year, Williams really needs to lift( as it stands now I am not a fan of output or attitude)

Not different scenarios at all

Things always look different in hindsight and or currently, which rarely plays out long term

Ask the Demon supporters prior to this year. Spending large currency on Lever who had only shown to be a 3rd tall defender. There were also many people, including people here criticising the May acquisition given his cultural and off field issues at GC.

As for Williams, I think he will play a greater role through the middle of the ground, hopefully his body is sound and turns up to preseason in the right condition

I think it will be very early that we find this out. Vos seems pretty focused on a robust engine room, and if williams doesnt cut it, Vos will let him know in no uncertain terms. No point in trying to turn a muppet into a mink glove. Thats not to say that Williams cant be extremely useful, playing the role he did at GWS, but the coin he is on will hang like a millstone around his neck in that case.

I dont think list management at Carlton is a walk in the park - the team and its previous coaches were NOT drawcards for A grade players looking to play finals.

Saad/Williams in their positions are a cut above every player on the list except for Cripps/Harry/Walsh/Weitering and maybe a fit Charlie. That is the core of our team - the rest arent match winners or anywher near it.

What we've got is a lot of very underperforming high pick midfielder types and out of all of them the only confidence I have is Stocker and Kemp to actually make it as good AFL players.

Lets just stop kidding ourselves about SPS/LoB/Dow and probably a bunch of others as well - they have all been very disapointing given how long they have had at the CLub.

This is why we are going to pay pick 6 and second to get Cerra - and that will be cheap compared to waiting for Dow to learn to tackle
That is why we are getting Hewett - not because he is a superstar- but because we are paying for him instead of paying a revised up contract for the blokes already on our list - who are just not AFL finals players.

We are in mini rebuild - simple as that - and the fact that we are paying up for decent players means the blokes who are just not up to scratch are on their way out- this year or next year. There are two bench spots for rotating mids to fill - and both are vacant even with Cerra and Hewett coming on board and we are still massively short of KPP backs and forwards - developing in VFL.

Blaming Austin in his second year rteying to fill holes whilst being asked to cut list sizes and managing unkown salary cap levels courtesy of COVID is a tad harsh - especially given the totally dysfunctional football department he was working in.

JAB, sound like you are not a fan of the SOS legacy

austins not a push over, no deal has been done yet, this is a bluemour page, leaks sometimes are accurate and sometimes are deliberately leaked, or chinese whispers twist a message of pick 52 is what eagles want vs pick 52 is eagles absolute final offer...big difference. I'd be surprised if we settled for pick 52. Worst case you could organise it with fremantle to say get us closer to a pick 6 only deal or add a late pick in as well and we wont trade SPS let him walk to the pre-season draft and freo can swipe him for free before eagles get a chance

Could this be part of our negotiation for cera? Or is that being too conspiratorial ?

Hopefully the acquisitions of Hewett and Cerra and the improvement in Kennedy make a move into the middle of the ground redundant in his case. He has always played his best football off halfback. This obsession we have for trying to make everyone a midfielder is dumbfounding to me.

Its what the old " dumb" carlton does. Identify a problem then throw the kitchen sink at it thinking that enough faeces will stick . Its such a blunt, non focused way to solve a problem and rarely does. Before the midfield it was our ruck situation after Allen retired. IIRC we recruited kreuzer, Hampson, Jacobs, in quick succession then let jacobs go for peanuts...

We did get some ok service out of Samo in some difficult times,his stats are ok.....and he did some good things quite consistently,if not slightly underwhelming

Samo didnt go that extra hard yard at Carlton...maybe was never going to happen,so i guess we move on

disappointing .....yes
setterfield might be lucky to still be on our list.....declined much worse

Also Dow will have to get it happening in 2022........so many flat performances,just looks ordinary to me,and no tank,can someone train him properly or move him on ?

JAB, sound like you are not a fan of the SOS legacy

A few of the mids he picked up were and still are a tad on the small body side of the equation and - yet, they dont have the run or high skill levels to make up for being short people. Injuries to Marhcbank and Charlie aside - I think he nailed: Weitering/Walsh/Kemp/Stocker/Harry/Cuningham and his own son - who has massively outperformed a lot of fancy pants high draft picks.

Midfielders ahebv to have size and speed and skills or a good balance of all - we picked a whole bunch of runts who neveer got bigger and whose skills ( SPS aside) were below par and still are. SPS is a huge disapointemnt in my book - looked liek a 200 game player in his first year - totally dominated contests and made plays...

we F*ed him - no doubt about that - but Dow/LoB/FIsher/Setterfield - that is all on them.

But it’s not exactly what it means… elite and professional are two different words. Every player in the AFL is professional but not every player is elite. Elite is a very small number of players.

Sure but it's one of the things that's in the player's own hands. You cant grow taller but you can learn to maximise your performance. Look at Petracca three years ago vs this year and tell me putting in elite preparation isn't a goal worth striving for.

For me the issue at Carlton has been that 'professional is good enough' was accepted for the past 20 years.

The same culture that Walsh became a top 3 midfielder in the league? The same culture McKay became the best forward in the comp? The same culture Weiters is a top 3 FUB in the league?

Seems if you have the ability there's not that much holding you back at the club from achieving such levels.

It's the game plan that was the truly awful thing.
Agree to disagree re the plan v culture. I agree especially about Weiters and Walsh however I could name many/most who have slipped or not reflected their talent under what I see to have been a very poor culture.

Its what the old " dumb" carlton does. Identify a problem then throw the kitchen sink at it thinking that enough faeces will stick . Its such a blunt, non focused way to solve a problem and rarely does. Before the midfield it was our ruck situation after Allen retired. IIRC we recruited kreuzer, Hampson, Jacobs, in quick succession then let jacobs go for peanuts...
Exactly. Then "Crippsy needs help in the middle". Now have a bunch of large-bodied, slow mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back