6. Elliot Yeo (2014 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

69886403bf22d7b91fb70faaee4858141d38e68f

Details
Number
Height 189cm
Weight 79kg
DOB 1-10-1993
Debut 2011 Round 9 Vs North Melbourne (Brisbane); 2014 round 1 Vs Western Bulldogs (West Coast)

Player Honours: - Best and Fairest (2017, 2018); All-Australian 2017, 2019; AFL Premiership Player 2018

Draft History: 2011 AFL National Draft pick 30 (Brisbane), 2013 Traded to West Coast for pick 28

Previous Clubs
Brisbane Lions 27 Games, 1 Goal

Last edited:

NAB Challenge v Fremantle

Kicks: 10
Handballs: 5
Marks: 6
Tackles: 2
Goals: 1

Thought I would wait until watching both NAB Challenge games to make a judgement call on Elliot.

In summary, pick 28 was an absolute steal.
He exudes class off the Halfback line, reads the play well, has smart ball use, hits targets and has damaging speed to burn.
His kick is low and hard as it should be, I can see now why brisbane supporters claim he was the biggest loss to them last year.
He is ripe for a long career and not far off his best footballer, is a rich mans Ash Smith and has no doubt locked in a spot in the 22 all year.

Could be very damaging if played up the ground, but for now is a prototype half backman.

One on one may not be a strong suit, will be interesting to see if opposition teams put a negative forward tag on him to stop his dangerous foot skills.

Not too disimilar to Heath Shaw type in game style. But has more speed.

Going to be one to watch this year for sure.

Round 1 v Western Bulldogs

Kicks:6
Handballs: 7
Marks: 4
Tackles: 10

Solid without being super impressive debut for Yeo. Drive was impressive from half back. Hit the majority of targets by foot and used his pace exceptionally well, in particular running down the Mainwaring wing with 3 bounces. Showed plenty of the reasons why he was brought over and is a player we have been crying out for, looking forward to improvement over the year. A Huge 10 tackles exemplifies the pressure West Coast bought to the table on Sunday.

7/10 from me.

I love the look of Yeo. I was listening to SEN today and heard Vossie say that he was slated to go into the midfield this year at the Lions to add pace.

This kid could be anything. Takes the game on with his lightning quick speed, kicks well with both feet, good tackler, tall and seems to be good in congestion. Love what hes brought to the side so far and would want to see him spend more time in the midfield.

I feel for him that if he could put on another 2-3 kilos he would excellent in the midfield.
Only issue I have with him at the moment is that he doesn't get enough of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been quite busy with various things, havent seen many of rounds 2-8 in great detail, will have the stats up however.

Round 2 v Melbourne

Kicks: 8
Handballs: 6
Marks: 5
Hit-Outs: 1
Tackles: 4

Round 3 v St.Kilda

Marks: 5
Tackles: 4

Round 4 v Geelong

Kicks: 7
Handballs: 8
Tackles: 3
Behinds: 1

Round 5 v Port Adelaide

Handballs: 4

Round 6 v Carlton

Kicks: 11
Handballs: 4
Marks: 2
Tackles: 5

Round 7 v Fremantle

Kicks: 7
Handballs: 6
Marks: 2

Round 8 v GWS Giants

Kicks: 9
Handballs: 14

Average Stats to the bye round.

Handballs: 6.7
Marks: 3.7
Tackles: 4.2
Hit-Outs: 0.1
Goals: 0.1
Behinds: 0.2

Like I said i havent seen as much of most games as i would like to. The verdict through 8 rounds would be steadily pleasing. Consistently in the mid teens for disposables playing mostly across half back. Limited touches but when he does get the ball, uses it very well. 4.2 tackles per game is encouraging as well showing he is prepared to work hard off the ball. I think the progression to the midfield appears to be a slow but gradual one, will be interesting to see if he can increase his disposals during the rest of the year. All in all a very good start to the year and a good addition to West Coast providing help in an area we have needed it, pace and clean skills across half back.

Round 10 v Collingwood

Handballs: 8
Marks: 7

One of Yeo's more all round games against the pies, apart from dropping a sitter on the siren and subsequently having his front teeth ejected from his mouth he was well serviceable. Provided strong link up through half back and the midfield and snuck forward to have 2 scoring shots, including a nice goal.

Will be remembered for this infamous incident for sometime.

Elliot-Yeo-Teeth-AFL-Media-628.jpg

Round 11 v North Melbourne

Kicks: 16
Marks: 7
Tackles: 1

One of the better performers in this lowly game for WC.
Led the team in clearances and spent a bit more time on the ball.

Round 12 v Hawthorn

Handballs : 12
Marks: 8
Tackles: 5

Another promising display in a bad loss. Starting to consistently average 20+ disposals and again lead the team in clearances whilst disposal efficiency was +80%

Really producing some promising form.

Round 13 v Gold Coast

Kicks: 5
Handballs : 1
Marks: 1

After some strong output in the preceding 2-3 weeks, Elliot had a more subdued game, was revealed he played a portion of it with a broken hand, so may lead to why this was the case.

Now set to mis 5-7 weeks, with surgery. Disappointing pause to his season which was building nicely.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8860884

Reckon he'll be in our most valuable 10 players by end of next year.

Hopefully the hand doesn't give him grief for a long period.

Really exciting prospect. Awesome and unique combo of aerial ability, height, speed, agility and clean hands.

Great replacement for Embley. Now to replace a few more of our flag players.

Round 23 v Gold Coast

Kicks: 3
Handballs : 4
Marks: 1

Started as the sub and came on in the third quarter. Wasnt overly influential in a blowout of a game and having a long lay off.

Promising signs from Yeo in the four week spell he got in the middle starting with the GWS up until the Hawks game.

Averaged 22 possessions, 5 clearances, 11 contested possessions, 3 tackles and 4 inside 50s. Also took almost 2 contested marks a game through this period.

Obviously this bodes well for us in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back