Traded 6. Lincoln McCarthy (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 National Draft selection No. 66 - Lincoln McCarthy

Why? Because they were rated in random phantom drafts?

Every year we take a player for left field, and invariably it works out, yet every year we have people who say 'we should have taken player x because some random guy had him going top 20 in a phantom draft'.

In Wells We Trust.
Rinse and repeat.

Yes! they were rated, according to expert judges, to be among the fancied draftees,........ and post 2012 we'll be without Mathew Scarlett. Most of us thought Wells would select a tall defender, didn't we? :confused:
Anyhow he chose McCarthy, hope he goes great!

He is a ripper lad and a real character Cats fans and will put bums on seats when he plays. Very explosive and exciting.

Dont know how good he can be but I thought the same for Schroder. Now I think Jordan will be able to be a really good player for us.

Lincoln McCarthy from Bordertown is one of the most talented players we have had come through our program. He is an elite kick on both sides, has a powerful leap for his size. Had injury concerns over the preseason but gradually got himself right with a lot of hard work and finished the year in great style with the Under 18’s being an important player in the first two finals victories. Has developed in to a midfielder, along with his dynamic forward line play. McCarthy played 16 games, scoring 20 goals and averaging 3 tackles per game.

http://www.glenelgfc.com.au/

Yes! they were rated, according to expert judges, to be among the fancied draftees,........ and post 2012 we'll be without Mathew Scarlett. Most of us thought Wells would select a tall defender, didn't we? :confused:
Anyhow he chose McCarthy, hope he goes great!

We did take a tall defender with our first pick Joel Hamling

We did take a tall defender with our first pick Joel Hamling

You got him down for defence, everyone else says we took 3 forwards?

I suppose he could be moulded over time :rolleyes:
But I think what Scott said he wanted out of Joel was a flexile tall utility.
That could mean almost anything.

You got him down for defence, everyone else says we took 3 forwards?

I suppose he could be moulded over time :rolleyes:
But I think what Scott said he wanted out of Joel was a flexile tall utility.
That could mean almost anything.

I clearly remember Scotty stating that he thought of Joel as more of a defender than anything else. Seems pretty versatile though.

Remember that there are a number of defenders available in the rookie draft now, such as Boseley. Did Frost go in the draft, can't remember seeing his name?

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/11/26/293851_local_sports.html
Gutted South Barwon defender Andrew Boseley has been invited to train at Geelong VFL after being left without an AFL home in one of the shocks of the draft.

Boseley, 19, was expected to go somewhere inside the first two rounds but highly-rated Michael Talia's slip to pick 39 was believed to have thrown a curveball into the draft order.

While the Cats can also invite Boseley to train with their main AFL group in the lead up to the rookie draft, he may also receive training offers from other AFL clubs.

link is a ****ing gun! has got the most natural talent you will ever see. a freak at all sports. very hard at the ball and got the best tackle on him, cant tell the difference between his left and right boot both as natural as each other. can also take a huge mark for his size. geelong will be stoked to have him on board!

link is a ****ing gun! has got the most natural talent you will ever see. a freak at all sports. very hard at the ball and got the best tackle on him, cant tell the difference between his left and right boot both as natural as each other. can also take a huge mark for his size. geelong will be stoked to have him on board!

what this guy said

Far out!........does he come with the "S" on the chest?

Sounds a bit too good to be true assessment. Do you mind me asking how you know these things about Lincoln ?

But I really hope you are right ! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds a bit too good to be true assessment. Do you mind me asking how you know these things about Lincoln ?

But I really hope you are right ! :D

Maddy2's location is Bordertown, where Lincoln came from.

the great McCarthy;)

Strange that our last McCarthy was pick #69, I cannot believe we are approaching 6 years now since he last played for us....how quick time flies by.

Rex had high hopes for the great McCarthy, it never eventuated.

The way you posters like our selections in this last draft - you could be persauded that it is as good as the 2009 draft for us - that gave us Duncan, Vardy, Menzel and Bundy I think.

If these new draftees produce anything like these 4 above - we are looking in very good hands and shape for sometime to come.

I was a little worried about this pick early on (maybe to do with the fact no one knew what he even looked like), but the more I read and hear about Junior Mac the more I like him!

I was a little worried about this pick early on (maybe to do with the fact no one knew what he even looked like), but the more I read and hear about Junior Mac the more I like him!

Who was the dude that highjacked Lincs photo space on AFL player profiles?
Thought it was Stoksey for a second. :D

I think we should take whoever that bloke is in the rookie draft - has to be an omen of Melbourne Cup betting proportions!!

Edit: I think it may be Shannon Taylor who was too young to be drafted this year but was able to be one of the 17yr olds that GWS could on trade.

Lincoln looked pretty strong in the herald- sun photo with Scott and the rest of the recruits, he might end up another Bundy like success story, the reports suggest he can really play the game

Did he play rep this year for SA and how did he go? I'm under the impression he didn't, cause there's no video on him.
Why didn't he play for SA?

Lincoln looked pretty strong in the herald- sun photo with Scott and the rest of the recruits, he might end up another Bundy like success story, the reports suggest he can really play the game

Did he play rep this year for SA and how did he go? I'm under the impression he didn't, cause there's no video on him.
Why didn't he play for SA?

Lincoln is a very explosive and powerful kid. He is very exciting to watch and as Geelong develop him into a midfielder over the coming years I am sure he will give plenty of joy to the Geelong faithfull.

In a nutshell, Lincs cracked his knee cap into the major pieces midway through the 2010 season playing for the Glenelg u18's (he continued to play for a few games with it - he is a tough lad and his family are renowned hard nuts of the game back at his home town of Bordertown) and basically missed the second half of 2010 and all of the preseason in 2011. He played the last U18 trial game for the Bays, however, due to his lack of conditioning developed a groin strain which kjept him out of playing for 3-4 weeks. He then returned, played a couple of games, then missed another couple with an ankle sprain, played another couple then missed another few weeks with a reoccurrence of his ankle injury. This basically took him too August this year. 2011 was very much a 'management' year as his knee, whilst on track to fully recover, still gives him pain at times as it will most likely in 2012 - you may have noticed he is doing modified training at the moment to build the strength in his leg further.

He was initially selected in the SA U18 squad - the state coach Brenton Phillips is a big fan - however due to his injury management and lack of preseason he was never going to be able to be at National Champos level by mid May (especially with the other unforseen soft tissue/ankle injuries).

It is a shame there isnt a lot of footage of him. Whilst he was nowhere near his full capacity this year (and cudos to Luke Williams for his selection and approval to Stephen Wells of Lincoln) he does some incredible things that really make shake your head in disbelief (in a good way of course!)

I hope that helps somewhat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded 6. Lincoln McCarthy (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back