Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the replay of the game. Thought he went alright. Makes good decisions. Hope he puts on weight in the next few years.

Was great in the third and 4th huge get out marks. His kick into 50 to Parker was amazing and shows his skills

That kick was fantastic and I think that was for McLean. If Parker hadn't propped, McLean would have been able to run onto that ball without breaking stride.

Yeah correct pretty sure you are correct

Absolute legend of a bloke. While the line was stuck at the family day today, spent a couple of minutes chatting with my 8 year old nephew. Said to him I loved his work roaming further up the ground and noted that his opponents are looking scared when he does it. Bloke looked genuinely embarrassed that he was being praised.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - he might not be the big bodied dominant key forward want him to be (at least not yet), but the little things he does at ground level for a guy his size are just fantastic.

I just watched the extended highlights on Kayo and so many of our goals involve Logan winning the hard ball and getting a quick, clean disposal out to a teammate. His vision, skills and lateral movement are top notch.

I seriously think we should consider giving him some midfield/wing minutes next year.

There's a lot to like about Logan, including that he re-signed with us, but he hasn't had the breakout year that I was hoping for. I tipped him to get 40 goals minimum and he may yet get there but he'll be squeaking in courtesy of 3 extra games on top of an extra-long H&A season.

Nevertheless he has improved, and each year he gets a bit better. Talls take time. I have faith. I agree with others that he has a lot of other excellent traits: vision and smarts, great work ethic, willingness to do the team thing, great skills by hand and foot, excellent set shot etc. Isn't yet 'elite' or a 'star'. I hope one day he will be.

There's a lot to like about Logan, including that he re-signed with us, but he hasn't had the breakout year that I was hoping for. I tipped him to get 40 goals minimum and he may yet get there but he'll be squeaking in courtesy of 3 extra games on top of an extra-long H&A season.

Nevertheless he has improved, and each year he gets a bit better. Talls take time. I have faith. I agree with others that he has a lot of other excellent traits: vision and smarts, great work ethic, willingness to do the team thing, great skills by hand and foot, excellent set shot etc. Isn't yet 'elite' or a 'star'. I hope one day he will be.

If you take a step back and remember he’s basically a second year key forward who has slowly improved his output. You told me we’d get 30-40 goals from Logan before this year I’d have taken it

He does so many unheralded things too and gives off easy goals to others he’d have 40+ already if he didn’t

It took Hawkins 5 seasons before he really knew what he was doing. Still think there is plenty of development left, kid is only 22
Very different eras but McDonald vs Hawkins at same age (season 2010):
11 to 13 disposals
1.5 to 1.2 goals
1.3 to 2.6 tackles
1.8 to 1.4 inside 50s
1.8 to 1.7 marks inside 50
0.9 to 1.2 contested marks

Tom up again in 2011 and really took off in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was another tipping a bit of a break out year.

Am I right that it is his fourth season?

I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't a touch disappointed but he is certainly showing plenty. I'm pleased that he used to show his talent in moments, but now is starting to have an influence over the duration of the game. Still hasn't put it all together but plenty of very good key talls don't until their 5th or 6th seasons. Hawkins and Josh Kennedy would be the notable comparisons.

Still just 22 or 23 or something. So probably still a few years away from the 27-32 5 year peak I feel like talls have. I hope he can have a big game in these finals and take a degree of self belief into next year.

Very different eras but McDonald vs Hawkins at same age (season 2010):
11 to 13 disposals
1.5 to 1.2 goals
1.3 to 2.6 tackles
1.8 to 1.4 inside 50s
1.8 to 1.7 marks inside 50
0.9 to 1.2 contested marks

Tom up again in 2011 and really took off in 2012.
Different style of player too as well as their builds. Hawkins much more a traditional FF out of the square.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #6 Logan McDonald

Remove this Banner Ad

Back