VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly I think he's been better than solid.

I'm not talking Goldstein levels of good, but he's been bloody useful. For a bloke to be delisted, picked up as a rookie and come play like that in a team that's been getting its ass kicked more often than not - very impressive.

I agree, you could make a good case that he has been best on for us in 3 of his 9 games.

Disagree - Buckley was on a hiding to nothing. A lot of guys were in premiership hangover mode and due to retire. He basically had to start a rebuild but due to expected success had to delay the commencement of this by a year or two.

Buckley suffered because of his intransigence - He took over a 'party team' and many a premiership team has been a party team - He needed to leave things as they were in 2012 and see what transpired - The team fails in 2012 and then you swing the broom - Instead Buckley tries to immediately instill 'change' which got the players off-side - It is staggering that Buckley is still coach -he has turned a GOLDEN chalice into a sow's ear.

Honestly should have been done the moment the siren went to end our season.

It will be done when McKernan finishes his VFL committments - It's the same for all players involved in the VFL.

Keep in mind McKernan is only just getting over a bunch of psychological issues too; he probably has some scope to get better next year based on that alone, not to mention being played in a better position (CHF).

Which is why (IMO) a resolution needs to be presented to the AGM to have the board spilled.
The window lickers at BB will probably elect more of the same.

I went for a job interview once with a company I might have been interested in working with.

Being a job interview, I of course suited up (as you do).

Upon arriving at the company, I was met not by a person, but a self sign in system. The system was missing the labels that would print out so that you could place them on your jacket to identify yourself. No big deal of course, but I noticed.

During the course of the interview I was given a basic tour of the facilities. Now this was a couple of years ago, but it wasn't 1996. Walking along I notice that the PCs that people work at had the old school CRT monitors. Odd.

Finally, as the interview drew to a close, my would be colleague says to me, 'here at nameless company, we wear a shirt and tie every day. It's the way the owner likes it, so we do'.

I thanked them for their time and left.

Two days later, I receive a phone call from said company who happily announced that they would like to offer me a position with them. I very politely informed the HR manager that I would not be interested in pursuing this role any further.

As you can imagine, HR manager is rather shocked. So she asks me the very obvious question - why?

Paraphrasing, I responded:

'After having met with the representatives of your business, and looking at your facilities, I believe that nameless company and I do not share similar views on policy and process. Thank you for your interest.'

This business genuinely thought that wearing a shirt and tie to work was important. So important that it was mentioned at a job interview. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of the shirt and tie in certain industries. But I look around, and I see the evidence that you are failing to concentrate on things that DO matter.

Does the missing label in the sign in station really matter? Do CRT PCs? Not in isolation no, but they are the physical symptoms of a company that is concentrating on the wrong things.

Your processes are failing, you are not striving to continuously improve - but at least your shirt and tie is in place.

This is the problem at Essendon. It is failing, badly I would add, to actually identify and rationalise WHAT IT IS we actually do. We are directionless. We are reactionary. We lack vision, purpose and application.

So we look around, and we see the TVSC. We look at our members and proclaim that we are doing the right things.

But look again, look at the physical symptoms. It is a club under poor administration, and it needs to change.
Not sure why but I found this post very relatable and hilarious.

When seeing the CRTs I would have had trouble not saying something like 'oh I see you have a technology museum here' which would have no doubt not gone down well.

Not sure why but I found this post very relatable and hilarious.

When seeing the CRTs I would have had trouble not saying something like 'oh I see you have a technology museum here' which would have no doubt not gone down well.
I once had a job interview, would've been 2010-ish. During the interview they were telling me about the role and they said "and then you'll go to the computer".

*THE* computer?

Yes. It was an office with one, communal computer.

Was thinking about it, people were down on his rucking ability early this year

He probably was always a fwd first , pinch Ruckman at ade so never really worked on the rucking craft... then he comes here and gets thrown full time ruck. Even in this small period of time his tap work improved exponentially.

Give him another preseason of pure tap work training and I reckon he will come back even more adept at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently he's been elevated to the seniors list? On Herald Sun but I am not a subscriber.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...or-list-for-2016/story-fnp04d70-1227531606859

Even with the paywall, I got this far:

McKernan earns Bombers elevation

ESSENDON will take another step towards solving its ruck dilemma when it elevates Shaun McKernan to the senior list for next season. The Herald Sun can reveal the former Adelaide Crow is certain to be promoted after an excellent finish to the-

Thanks HS, that's all I needed!

Even with the paywall, I got this far:

McKernan earns Bombers elevation

ESSENDON will take another step towards solving its ruck dilemma when it elevates Shaun McKernan to the senior list for next season. The Herald Sun can reveal the former Adelaide Crow is certain to be promoted after an excellent finish to the-

Thanks HS, that's all I needed!

1. Copy the link
2. Paste it into Google and click first link
3. ????
4. Profit

1. Copy the link
2. Paste link into your address bar
3. Change the words 'heraldsun' (or any other News Corpse brand) after the www. to 'news'
4. ????
5. Profit

noooo.gif

It doesn't work anymore! It was working just yesterday!

Apparently he's been elevated to the seniors list? On Herald Sun but I am not a subscriber.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...or-list-for-2016/story-fnp04d70-1227531606859

Just google the headline if you want to see a Hun or Arsetralian article without giving any of your hard earned to Murdoch:
ESSENDON will take another step towards solving its ruck dilemma when it elevates Shaun McKernan to the senior list for next season.

The Herald Sun can reveal the former Adelaide Crow is certain to be promoted after an excellent finish to the season in red and black.

The Bombers plucked McKernan with pick No. 12 in last yearā€™s rookie draft but his late-season purple patch has guaranteed him a senior contract at Tullamarine next season.

It will help provide some ruck coverage for Essendonā€™s new coach next season as injury-ravaged first-choice ruckman Tom Bellchambers recovers from another round of surgery.

Despite playing only nine games, which included being dropped after his first match of the season in Round 7, McKernan last night finished 10th in the Bombersā€™ best and fairest.

23a90ec4bb1f16559ddc69a9788e631d

Shaun McKernan jumps over Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy. Picture: Getty
Jake Carlisle, who has requested a trade and is in talks with St Kilda and Carlton, finished outside the top-10. He played 17 games.

The top-10 placing was a reward for persistence for McKernan, who was delisted from Adelaide last year and overlooked for the early part of the season by ex- Essendon coach James Hird.

Hird controversially used key position player Jake Carlisle in the ruck against West Coast in Round 11, despite calls to play McKernan or Jon Giles against Nic Naitanui.

McKernan, 25, was recalled to the senior side to play his second game of the year in Round 13 and averaged 18 possessions, four marks, 23 hit-outs and almost one goal per game across the whole season.

At 196cm, McKernan is potentially better suited to play as a forward who pinch-hits in the ruck, due to the height advantage he often gives away to opponents.

I guess it shouldn't come as surprise he's doing well. He's reached the age that taller players start to hit their straps and the combination of a change of scenery and sorting out his mental demons can only have helped too.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back