#7- Chris 'The Master' Masten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, I have to keep updating this as the season goes?

Masten had a very good game in the practice match against Carlton this morning. His kicking was looking very sharp and his work in close was as good as always. He started in the forward pocket actually, giving us a midfield set up without any of he, Cox, Kerr or Priddis, which is what I would have as our starting centre square combo in the regular season.

Anyway, Masten didn't have much of a chance to kick at goal and he was moved into the midfield fairly quickly. He was probably our second best midfielder after Adam Selwood, not sure of his stats but whenever he got the ball he seemed to use it very well. Even when being tackled Masten holds his ground until he can hit a target by hand. I also noticed a lot less kicks and handballs to stationary targets, by everyone really. Another solid hitout to continue a pretty impressive pre-season so far, I think there is a chance he may be rested for the interstate game next week.

B: Eric Mackenzie, Darren Glass, Brett Jones
HB: Beau Waters, Mitch Brown, Shannon Hurn
C: Andrew Embley, Matt Priddis, Adam Selwood
HF: Mark Nicoski, Josh Kennedy, Luke Shuey
F: Nic Naitanui, Quinten Lynch, Mark LeCras
Foll: Dean Cox, Daniel Kerr, Chris Masten
I/C: Sam Butler, Brad Ebert, Pat McGinnity, Tom Swift
Emg: Bradd Dalziell, Will Schofield, Matt Spangher

Named to play in Round 1, no surprises there, hopefully will start in the centre square rather than on the wing as he did in a few pre-season games. Look to see Masten set up goals- he did so more than any other Eagle last year apart from LeCras. This year should be kicking more goals, didn't have great accuracy in front of the sticks last year.

With Nic Naitanui taking much of the focus in pre-season following his amazing NAB Cup opener against Essendon, Worsfold said another of the Eagles' high draft picks, Chris Masten, could make the biggest leap this season.

"How far he steps up is an unknown but we are confident he can work his way up to be one of the topline midfielders in the competition," Worsfold said.

More...

Time for real football.

202512.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it strange. He's doing very terrible in the FP and last year when thrown in the middle he was smashing it up...

we all wish he'd get played in the middle...no idea why he has been up forward for the majority of the year.

Whats going on with this bloke? Thought with a bit of work on his kicking he could really come on this year. Do people think he will get back into the middle?

He has allot of work to do before he figures out how to play as a forward, not at all his natural game, doesnt know his role, doesnt know how to position himself.

Watching Brown struggle at FF i wonder how long they will persist with him as a forward.

I know his ideal position is not forward but it's basic decision making and skills that he cannot execute of late. This has nothing to do where he is playing. Still have faith in him though.

Just needs to back himself to kick goals! If he didn't look to pass those off and kicked one or two we would all be saying he had a great game. Once he gets his confidence back he will be a good player. Remember his form towards the end of last season?

Yah, game time will equal confidence, confidence will equal a much better Masten, the Masten we were promised after the 2007 draft ;).

He'll hopefully eventually start giving performances like that against Fremantle in Round 6, without the injury of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back