7 Convinced of getting TV rights.

Remove this Banner Ad

LasCar

Debutant
May 5, 2004
The 7 network are so convinced that they are going to get the next AFL rights that they have began to look at getting one of the cyclpes cameras that were trialled by channel 9 last year in the NRL and AFL. Seven wants to have one installed at the Telstra Dome to improve its broadcast angles and show its commitment to advancing the technological apects of broadcasting the game.

Well it would make sense for them to be looking into one. That way they can legitimally tell the AFL they are looking into one to install at TD. I don't think it's that they're convinced, they are just doing everything they can to present the best possible case to the AFL they can - eg "We've done all the research and looked into purchase and installation issues so if you give us the rights we'll be ready to go straight away"

given that idiots run the AFL i'm sure the new TV deal will be worse than the current one for the northern states, and victorian sides playing outside victoria

pazza said:
With the AFL formally recognising the 7/10 partnership, 9 are going to be behind the 8-ball now.

I saw somewhere today about Nine putting together a deal with some international broadcaster/distributor to try and include internet and mobile phone content as part of their submission. Can they do that? Surely Telstra would be up in arms over it - or does their contract run out at the same time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All_Hail_Glazer said:
10's saturday afternoon replay having a compressed first half and 3 minute ad break's like 9's sunday afternoon replay

Nine does that because heaven forbid they show the news one minute after 6pm on Sunday nights.

Under new rights from 2007, ROUND 9 AFL TV might look like this for Melbourne viewers.

Round 9 - AEST

Friday
St.Kilda v Adelaide - TELSTRA DOME 7:40 (Delay 8:40 on SEVEN)
Brisbane v Richmond - GABBA 7:40 (LIVE 7:40 on FOX FOOTY CHANNEL)

Seven brings back "The Game" for 7:30, Game at 8:40 with postgame afterwards.

Fox Footy Channel shows one game, then shows the FTA game afterwards, Friday Night Double Header.

Saturday
Port Adelaide v Essendon - AAMI STADIUM 1:10 (LIVE 1:10 ON TEN)
Carlton v Melbourne - OPTUS OVAL 2:10 (Delay 4:00 on TEN)
Collingwood v West Coast - MCG 7:10 (Delay 7:40 on TEN)

Out of VIC game LIVE at 1, FULL REPLAY of Melbourne game at 4 (with news at halftime). Before the Game at 6:30, then night game at 7:30, followed by 5th quarter. TRIPLE HEADER!

Sunday
Western Bulldogs v Sydney - SCG 2:10 (LIVE 2:10 on SEVEN)
Geelong v Kangaroos - Skilled Stadium (LIVE 2:10 on FOX FOOTY CHANNEL)
Fremantle v Hawthorn - Subiaco 5:40 (LIVE 5:40 on SEVEN)

Game 1 on SEVEN at 2, News at 5, Game 2 at Twilight at 5:30, like old times.

RobV said:
Don't think that would happen, 2 Friday Night games is too much, and Fox would want a Saturday Game.

Why? AFAIK, Fox are the ones pushing for an extra Friday night game. It would rate a lot better than the saturday afternoon game they've got now.

And the 7-10 bid looks like being for 6 FTA games a week anyway.

Rob said:
Why? AFAIK, Fox are the ones pushing for an extra Friday night game. It would rate a lot better than the saturday afternoon game they've got now.

And the 7-10 bid looks like being for 6 FTA games a week anyway.
If so, what point of a dedicated AFL channel that televises 1 live game? Surely none if they are barely scraping by on 3 live games in the past 5 years.

Looks like nine may be trying to up the ante.

I don't mind if they get it, but they have to put the footy on in prime time in the northern states, otherwise the money is just another nail in footies long term national future.

The AFL will go for the mony cos they are junkies for it (like us all) but what they don't get is if they get 5 years of prime time exposure in Sydney and brissy, the next rights deal is going to be huge and the game will ahve expanded in those markets forever!!!. Dumb afl, very dumb.

Nine tries to deal itself into football rights

By Christian Catalano
May 18, 2005

Kerry Packer's Nine Network is scrambling to put together a knockout blow in the AFL media rights battle, with the league finally agreeing to begin negotiations with the controversial Seven and Ten alliance.

Under the terms of Seven's first and last rights agreement - which it allowed Ten to join in March for a sum of $10 million - the AFL will now put forward its opening offer to the alliance. This will include a starting price and its desired level of free-to-air TV coverage from 2007 to 2011.

"If the AFL put a cash offer to us and we put one to them and then we agree, it's game over," a network source said yesterday. "No matter what Nine stump up, it will be game over."

But The Age has learnt that a team within Nine is in advanced talks with a number of potential international partners about a much bigger cash offer for the AFL and an adjoining bid for the separate pay TV, mobile phone, internet and newspaper rights. Among those dealing with Nine is sports marketing giant IMG. Nine has also held talks with a European mobile phone company.

If Nine can convince AFL boss Andrew Demetriou it has a better offer waiting, the league may force its asking price beyond the levels Seven and Ten are prepared to offer.

"Walking away from the rights is not an option," a Nine executive said. "We want the AFL to remain on the Nine Network and we will be looking at every way possible to achieve that result."

Ten chief executive John McAlpine said the ball was "entirely in the AFL's court" and that talks were likely to start within a few weeks. "I spoke to Andrew (Demetriou) yesterday and it's game on. I think we'll start to see some activity very soon."

But McAlpine said he expected Nine would enter the bidding before the first round of talks was over, saying: ". . .those guys are tough competitors and I'm sure they'll be in there pitching for them."

Sources at both Seven and Ten agree that any bidding pressure from Nine is likely to result in at least a small increase in the free TV figure paid this time.

Demetriou said the AFL yesterday told Seven it had approved its application for Channel Ten to be joined with them for the first and and last rights deed. "There is no change in the next step or the last step or yesterday's step - it is just part of the process and the requests Seven network asked of the AFL," he said.

"We have gone through the formalities - we can't reasonably withhold that consent."

pazza said:
With the AFL formally recognising the 7/10 partnership, 9 are going to be behind the 8-ball now.

6 for one, half dozen the other. I, for 1, would prefer 2 channels go 4 the rights, although 5 FTA games a week could be over-saturating the market. Hopefully Sydney do a lions-like 3-peat over the next few years to really jack up the price.

This post has been brought to you by the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

rednugget said:
I hope they do just so I can hear BRRRUUUUUCCCE again.
Yeah just before i blow my brains out when Sandy Roberts and Ian Robertson butcher a call

AFL must devleope the game in sydney and bris, by showing prime time games firday and sat night up againts the league.

They also and just as importantly need to allocate money to push the game into selscted schools throughout Sydney.

Much much more work is to be done if they are to keep thier footing againts union , league and Soccer.

Second team in 5 years will help, but the development needs to be comprehensive (tv, Sydney AFL, schools, under 18 comps, more regional selections for swans and 2and team), time is running out and the AFL need to get a much better team running the NSWAFL.

If Aussie Rules is not well and truely established as a viable sport in the Schools and grass roots within 10-15 years, it is over and we may well have seen the peak in 96. Every day of every season is now vital for the AFL in developing markets.
If they go for the money alone (in some fandangled deal K. Packer puts up), they will be getting more of what they already got ( money) and less of what they need (exposure in developing states).

Remove this Banner Ad

7 Convinced of getting TV rights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back