7 Convinced of getting TV rights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully, Channel 9 will go it alone TV-wise. I dislike Fox Footy's coverage, but I love the channel itself (invaluable source of replays old and new, as well as the EXCELLENT White Line Fever which is the best football show on telly).

Channel 9 with sole FTA rights, FoxFooty instant and full access to replays/footy archives = Happy Nob.

LasCar said:
i don't care as lo0ng as ten have nothing to do with hte broadcasting of football. They have the worst cameramen in the world.

9, 10 and Foxtel all sub-contract a LOT of their camera work out to Global Television (in Melb, Syd & Brissy). They all use (largely) the SAME group of cameramen in each city, however each network does control its own direction.

LasCar said:
The 7 network are so convinced that they are going to get the next AFL rights that they have began to look at getting one of the cyclpes cameras that were trialled by channel 9 last year in the NRL and AFL. Seven wants to have one installed at the Telstra Dome to improve its broadcast angles and show its commitment to advancing the technological apects of broadcasting the game.
LOL those camera's were absolute pathetic and useless.

grayham said:
Packer has put in a bid for the NRL rights where he want two games on Friday night. One "live", then a replay of the other following.

That discounts 9 from showing any AFL in the northern states on Friday nights.

That shows that they've conceded they won't win the rights.

BuffaloRules said:
So what does that mean for the AFL rights price if 9 has conceded?

Not good hey??
Not good for NRL me thinks, no competition as the others probably wont want to touch that comp due to the funds they expend on the AFL.

Mickey said:
Not good for NRL me thinks, no competition as the others probably wont want to touch that comp due to the funds they expend on the AFL.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Nine has already bid on the NRL rights - 200% increase on existing.

If they are successful this pretty much means 9 is out of the running to show AFL in the northern states on Friday nights and Sunday arvo.

Leaving only the 7 and 10 bid as the only credible alternative for the AFL...

Unless the AFL will consider 9's bid with limited northen states coverage?

7afl.jpg

It has been reported that for Fox to tip in the same $$$ they require at least 3 live games a weekend plus 8.30 starts in NSW and QLD.

Also the way the rights works 7/10 have first and last rights. They paid $20m for the right last time. Basically how it works is this.

The league goes to 7/10 and says how much they want and how it will work. If 7/10 say OK then it is all over red rover. If they say no then the AFL can go to other players and see what they will offer. When they get a amount they are happy with they then have to go back to 7/10 who can choose to pay the same amount (and get the rights) or decline to match it. The AFL had better know what the highest 9 offer is before they go near 7/10 because if 7/10 say yes the first time then 9 will not get to make an offer.

Ljp86 said:
What is the point of football being on pay TV when only 20% of the population actually has it, and not all of the 20% are going to watch the footy. You could cover all games on free-to-air.

Being a WCE supporter living in Melbourne I would never get to see them on tv if it wasn't for pay-tv. All the Subi games are on Fox Footy. When 7 had the rights they showed nothing from the West.

billybanana said:
Being a WCE supporter living in Melbourne I would never get to see them on tv if it wasn't for pay-tv. All the Subi games are on Fox Footy. When 7 had the rights they showed nothing from the West.

They did have all 8 games leaving them not much time to squeeze them all in. But i do agree pay-tv do need to have live games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Ross Warneke said on 3AW today, those dancing on Channel 9's AFL grave will be in for a rude shock when they team up with Foxtel (Fox Footy) to blow the 7/10 bid out of the water in a few weeks

Tigger said:
As Ross Warneke said on 3AW today, those dancing on Channel 9's AFL grave will be in for a rude shock when they team up with Foxtel (Fox Footy) to blow the 7/10 bid out of the water in a few weeks

The AFL will forsake free to air for money? Doubt it when the players association has already said they are willing to adjust downwards to a new TV deal.

does anyone know how many people actually have foxtel nad if it is a viable option for nine to team up with them.

For example i spent some time living in frnace and they had a cable channel that you could pick up with your normal antenna. Most of the time the picture was scrambled but by law they had to show one game o soccer a week live and unscrambled.
Do you think that this would work?

billybanana said:
captains bar. docklands

Tigger said:

Bull******** what a load of crap 7/10 have first and last bidding rights. So if 9/foxtel topple their bid the AFL contact 7/10 all they have to do is match the bid and 7/10 got the rights that simple.

As for Ross Warneke he is a channel 9 puppet.

If 9 gets the sole rights the AFL could litterally up and die because Channel will do like they do to the NRL and:

* Only show finals live
* Have control over dates on the draw in which teams will only know what day they play on 5 weeks in advance and not from when the draw is released

Go Channel 7 and 10. FFS don't let 9 get it!

Ljp86 said:
What is the point of football being on pay TV when only 20% of the population actually has it, and not all of the 20% are going to watch the footy. You could cover all games on free-to-air.

No AFL and to a lesser extent RU and RL = No Foxtel

Kapow!!! said:
If 9 gets the sole rights the AFL could litterally up and die because Channel will do like they do to the NRL and:

* Only show finals live
* Have control over dates on the draw in which teams will only know what day they play on 5 weeks in advance and not from when the draw is released

Go Channel 7 and 10. FFS don't let 9 get it!

I thought the RL was going to stop that 5 week fixture thing this time round

Remove this Banner Ad

7 Convinced of getting TV rights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back