7's coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Bit of a follow up to the "Melbourne the key to rugbys expansion" thread.

I've checked out the coverage for todays games, and nothing until very late tonight. Brisbane, Sydney and Canberra all get 8.30 coverage. If you have Fox, you can get the Wales v Canada game live.

If the ARU are serious about expansion into Melbourne, then I think they'd better sit down with 7 and get some proper coverage of the game down here now, and in the future.

Another thing 7 need to look at is the commentry team. Gordan Bray and David Fordham is it? (Spelling?) are very ordinary, very boring. They are so bad id even consider giving Bruce Macca a go.
I'd have Bray in a co-commentry role. He'd be the 'brains' of the team and the 2nd commentator - much like Peter Sterling is to Ray Warren in the box on Channel 9's NRL games. Bray doesn't help the game's lack of pace (not trying to pick a fight with the Union guys, just my opinion of the game) and he just isnt spontanious enough. Surley 7 have got better stocks than Bray. He has a great Rugby Union mind, but he can't call for **** in my opinion. A commentry re-shuffle should be on the cards. Any suggestions, or should it remain how it is?

They need a bloke like Rabs Warren in there.

Bray lacks spontanious flair:

"Sailor!........................................................................................................................he's away!................................................................................................................look at him go!.....................................................................................................................................can he get it!...............................................................................................................................................................try!"

Unlike the man himself - NRL's Rabs Warren:

"Big strong strapping young lad is Wendall. Here he is nowwwwwwwahhhh Wennnnnndall Sailor! He's away down thaaa right touch-line! Palms off one, palms off another! Big dont argue there from thaaa big man! Look at him gracing the turf! Faster than a gazzel! Dozes them over like a Russian BMP 5! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Heavens above! Crrrrrunching tyyyyyackle on the big man by his opposite number! He shrugs him off! Goes for the liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees ovahhhhhhh! Shyyyut thaa gate thaaa horse had bolted! Sailor scoressss! Try time for thaaaa big man!!"

Bray and Fordham to be moved for mine.

Cheers,

Hicham.

Hicham, sometimes the best thing a commentator can do is say nothing at all. Rabs, for all his glory, doesn't have that in his repitoire. Take Richie Benaud for example. Whenever a great shot is made, or a great catch taken, he doesn't say anything until a couple of seconds later.....sometimes you have to let the action and picture do the talking.

I guess each to their own though. I like a mix of it really. Sometimes I find Rabs a bit much and sometimes Bray not enough. I did read an article though were Gordon Bray said that he thought the best thing he ever did in commentary was say nothing at all for 25 seconds when the Irish scored to put themselves in the lead with 5 minutes to go in the 1991 RWC quater final.....the shots and noise of the passionate fans and the celebration of the players speak for themselves in times like those.

I thought your written impersonations of both were excellent though!

Auckmel, I agree with you and one thing channel 7 should take into account is that a number of recent test matches (including the opening game of this WC) Melbourne figures have outrated Qld figures. Melbourne had a peak audience of 650 000 (or thereabouts) for the world cup opener which is excellent. Was the Fiji v France game shown in Melbourne live last night?

I see nothing wrong with the com team. They are experienced enough to do it, they know how to do it, and frankly, we are spoilt by the Eddies and the Dennis types. These 2 have their own style and good on them for using it.

Seems like the Rugby coverage on 7 is the same as the league coverage on 9 in Melbourne - CRAP.

A question for Rugby supporters in Melbourne Do you think the seats at Telsta Dome should have been moved in as it was a few years ago for Storm Vs Bronco's?

The only problem with the coverage is here in South Australia there is not enough of it! I can understand them not showing games in prime time during the week because of ratings concerns but they could've at least shown France v Fiji here yesterday. It's times like this I wish I had Fox.:(

This half hour delay for two games tonight is crap.

Firstly, why is that Deal or No Deal rubbish more important than showing live rugby?

Secondly, why couldn't the 80 minutes of Scotland-Japan be shown from 8.30 to 10 (instead of 10.30), so that they could get to England-Georgia live?

Pathetic stuff.

Why in gods name would anybody want to watch England beat Gerogia by gods knows how much?

The RWC is a joke until it reaches the Q/F stage with 8 half decent teams running around beating up on 12 chumps

Having crap teams devalues it no end and just shows how little depth there is in world rugby despite grand claims of it being a "world" game

Remove this Banner Ad

7's coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back