Senior 9. Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there will be debate as to how high he ranks in terms of Carlton players, but I don't think there's any doubt that he is amongst one of the great leaders we've had at the club. It is a very, very special person who can pull up a team by his own bootstraps.

I think an underrated quality has been how hard he works.
Originally seen as to big and slow - got himself a running coach and got himself AFL level fit.
Question marks over his kicking and was not a reliable shot at goal - worked his guts out at it.
Becomes captain and gets his hands on any material he can find to make himself a better leader.

As he gets the accolades this week, I hope a few mention that this is not just a 'talented player' but a pretty admirable person for the guts, grit and humility he has demonstrated.

To think we would of had Luke Dunstan instead, had Mick Malthouse not of pushed for Cripps so hard. Mick wanted Cripps as he was a leader, and we were devoid of any leaders at the time.

I know this for a fact.

Talk about a fork in the road moment.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

To think we would of had Luke Dunstan instead, had Mick Malthouse not of pushed for Cripps so hard. Mick wanted Cripps as he was a leader, and we were devoid of any leaders at the time.

I know this for a fact.

That’s not the story that Shane Rogers and Wayne Hughes like to relate - but it stands to reason given the dredge of draft picks that they presided over.

I know there will be debate as to how high he ranks in terms of Carlton players, but I don't think there's any doubt that he is amongst one of the great leaders we've had at the club. It is a very, very special person who can pull up a team by his own bootstraps.

Originally seen as to big and slow - got himself a running coach and got himself AFL level fit.
Question marks over his kicking and was not a reliable shot at goal - worked his guts out at it.
Becomes captain and gets his hands on any material he can find to make himself a better leader.

As he gets the accolades this week, I hope a few mention that this is not just a 'talented player' but a pretty admirable person for the guts, grit and humility he has demonstrated.
I think if he wins a flag with us, he's right up there in the top 5. I'd have him ahead of even someone like Silvagni.

I know this for a fact.

From the same draft, West Coast drafted Dom Sheed with a draft pick which was compensation for…… Dale Thomas. 😂

After Jezza, our next great captain was Kernahan. Until Cripps, I still saw Kernahan as the captain of our footy club as we never had another great leader worthy of being in the discussion (Don't get me started on Judd). Cripps is everything to this club now. Already legend status. But will be a hero of the highest order when he one day holds up that cup. A magnificent role model for my son. Gladiator.

Last edited:

if this is true, then Mick was less of a disaster for us than we thought

After Jezza, our next great captain was Kernahan. Until Cripps, I still saw Kernahan as the captain of our footy club as we never had another great leader worthy of being in the discussion (Don't get me started on Judd). Cripps is everything to this club now. Already legend status. But will be a hero of the highest order when he one day holds up that cup. A magnificent role model for my son. Gladiator.
Reckon you missed one between Jezza and Sticks...

1720585461367.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are so blessed to have this bloke’s heart & determination driving our club forward.

Where we are now largely due to Captain Crunch. The culture of our club is loud & proud once again thanks to him.

Ps - what a player, inside always & great to see him freed up outside.

Simply irresistible!

music video 80s GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Senior 9. Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

Back