A 100 goal season & Joe Daniher: is he overwhelmingly the most capable player of achieving it again?

Is Daniher overwhelmingly the only player capable of kicking 100 goals in a season?

• Yes

Votes: 26 16.3%
  • No

Votes: 134 83.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have to be the ugliest player in the league. Hideous.

Says you. I think he's dreamy...

Joe+Daniher+NAB+AFL+Rising+Star+Award+-4j_rP3FOJ4l.jpg

Nah, just honest.

Come see me in 3 years and we will see. So far he has achieved nothing. People said the same stuff you are when I said we should trade Dangerfield the year before his contract ran out. Would have been a genius move but people didn't see it. I don't rate Daniher. That doesn't make me stupid or a troll. It means I don't rate him. If he proves me wrong then good for him, but jury is still out for mine.

The world needs contrarians. I guess.

He's had a great year, Joe.

I think potentially he could get very close, especially if Essendon find a capable KP to support him. I think having Hooker in that role has been excellent for his development this year- whether hooker stays forward I don't know. (Personally believe he is a better backman and not a swing man)

I think Joe is capable of an 75-80 goal year. In this day and age that would be a fantastic result- given that teams are less reliant on that one key forward kicking big bags every week. In a sense, having those superb little guys feeding off him may inevitably cost him those extra goals to take him to the ton.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year Daniher became not just an OK kick at goal (for a key forward), he became a good kick at goal. He started kicking normal drop punts when at a reasonable angle to the goals. Do any Essendon fans have any idea why he seems to have lost confidence in his drop punt kicking so much since the end of last year?

Joe Daniher could kick 100 goals in a season. I think it unlikely though due to his poor kicking for goal.

Ben Brown is more likely to kick 100 goals in a season, and his very accurate kicking for goal is a key part of that.

Bad kicking is bad football.

Last year Daniher became not just an OK kick at goal (for a key forward), he became a good kick at goal. He started kicking normal drop punts when at a reasonable angle to the goals. Do any Essendon fans have any idea why he seems to have lost confidence in his drop punt kicking so much since the end of last year?
Got a bit of a knee injury in Round 20 and his performance and kicking have been poorer since.

His kicking isn't shit, his form is in general.

Joe Daniher could kick 100 goals in a season. I think it unlikely though due to his poor kicking for goal.

Ben Brown is more likely to kick 100 goals in a season, and his very accurate kicking for goal is a key part of that.

Reasonable point. I know Joe will never be Matthew Lloyd but am hopeful he can become more reliable as he matures. It seems to be part technique and part mental, as evidenced by the ease with which he converted from outside 50 once the result was not in question yesterday.

Comparing Brown and Daniher is difficult though given Joe plays in what is arguably a better team so should get more opportunities but has better alternative options for his teammates to consider so that should concurrently lower his usage rate. Daniher’s versatility and my bias see him as a more valuable player for mine but having seen him miss plenty, I’d love him to have sideshow’s conversion ability.

I don’t know if he’s the next 100 goal kicker, I’m not sure we’re going to see it any time soon but I don’t think I want him to be as that may not be in keeping with success from a team point of view.

A detailed analysis of goalkicking released last year indicated that Daniher was a more accurate and reliable kick for goal than Buddy, Kennedy and Riewoldt. And a step behind the best KPFs in Cameron, Taylor and Brown. He was judged as above average given the shots that he takes.

Daniher won't kick 100 goals in a season because in the modern game it's next to impossible. Both Daniher and Brown have an equal likelihood of kicking 100 goals in a season: zero.

Reasonable point. I know Joe will never be Matthew Lloyd but am hopeful he can become more reliable as he matures. It seems to be part technique and part mental, as evidenced by the ease with which he converted from outside 50 once the result was not in question yesterday.

Comparing Brown and Daniher is difficult though given Joe plays in what is arguably a better team so should get more opportunities but has better alternative options for his teammates to consider so that should concurrently lower his usage rate. Daniher’s versatility and my bias see him as a more valuable player for mine but having seen him miss plenty, I’d love him to have sideshow’s conversion ability.

I don’t know if he’s the next 100 goal kicker, I’m not sure we’re going to see it any time soon but I don’t think I want him to be as that may not be in keeping with success from a team point of view.

Yep, this is the key bit. Why in God's name did he try and kick that one across his body on the weekend? Why did he handball in the square last week?

I think you have to look at how he came into the game, especially in comparison with Brown.

Joe knew he was getting drafted to Essendon from when he was about 15/16. IIRC you had him playing two for you year before he was drafted (like we did with Luke McDonald), he was an out an out junior star, lots of talk that he'd have gone pick 1 if he had been in the open draft. Add to that the fact that he's not just any father/son, but a DANIHER and came along at a time when the Bombers were in full messiah mode - HIRDY, with BOMBER at his side, and a DANIHER onfield, was going to lead the Bombers back to the glory of the 80s and 90s.

Benny Brown was a no name from a scrubby Tassie town, was overlooked in three drafts, had to work his way up the ranks through the VFL at Werrribee, before finally getting his go at AFL level.

The key here is that Daniher has all the talent in the world, but has never had to work too hard to get ahead in footy. Though a combination of that raw talent (genetics), his size, his name and what his Dad did (genetics again), he's had possibly the easiest pathway to footy imaginable. Not saying he's gifted a spot on the list, far from it, the ability is all there, its just that really, that's all there is so far, ability.

Brown has had to work his clacker off to get a look, repeatedly. He's had to hone his game and become an ultra-professional to get where he is now. That's a function as much of a system that picks kids at 18 and then makes it very difficult for them to get a look in again, which really doesn't suit all sizes/shapes/people/situations/mindsets etc.

Browny's accuracy is a result of him having developed, then practiced, a set shot routine that works, then literally drilled that patterns of that routine into his muscles until he does it automatically. You watch it and you can see that, the same number of steps in the run in, the holding the ball up to sight it.

Browny is a nice kick, but his set shot accuracy is a result of prodigious amounts of work and commitment coming out of an iron determination to make the most of himself and his talent.

I don't know if Joe has ever had to do that - that's not his fault, it doesn't make him bad or weak or anything. But I think it explains the difference.

A detailed analysis of goalkicking released last year indicated that Daniher was a more accurate and reliable kick for goal than Buddy, Kennedy and Riewoldt. And a step behind the best KPFs in Cameron, Taylor and Brown. He was judged as above average given the shots that he takes.

Daniher won't kick 100 goals in a season because in the modern game it's next to impossible. Both Daniher and Brown have an equal likelihood of kicking 100 goals in a season: zero.

That analysis was taken over a short period of one year. Daniher's goal kicking issues have been around for years - pretty much as long as he has.

In fact, there's a compelling argument thatlast year was the exception, rather than the rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

A 100 goal season & Joe Daniher: is he overwhelmingly the most capable player of achieving it again?

Back