A 100 goal season & Joe Daniher: is he overwhelmingly the most capable player of achieving it again?

Is Daniher overwhelmingly the only player capable of kicking 100 goals in a season?

• Yes

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 133 84.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst Brown is a year older, he was drafted a year later and has about ten years less in the system. Daniher was in every elite junior squad or program, Brown wasn't in any and has just completed his first full preseason.
Is the extent that Brown has gone past Daniher this year really that surprising?

After 81 games Brown has kicked 169 goals.
Daniher had kicked 138 by the same stage.

Brown is 2 years older .

Daniher has won AA honours and a club B&F. Daniher impacts the game with more than just goals.

Everyone is commenting how far out of form Daniher is and he just come off a 2 goal 3 goal assist game. I can't wait till he's in form.

I’d take Brown before Daniher in a heart beat

To be honest me too.

But I'm very happy I support the dons and not north.

Oh sweet Lord how happy it makes me.

Joe gets higher up the ground and that's probably the statistical difference.

However, Brown is much more effective inside the 50 meter arc, and that's where it really counts.

Last 10 rounds cast some interesting numbers:

Brown: 6, 4, 0, 3, 2, 7, 0, 6, 4, 5 = 37
Daniher: 6, 3, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2, 0, 2, 2 = 24

Bags of 4 or more overall:

Brown = 14/81 = 17.3%
Daniher = 11/97 = 11.3%

Brown is 2 years older.

16 months, and coming from a long way back development wise.

If Daniher played at North, Brown would be the full forward and Daniher would play centre half forward.

Joe gets higher up the ground and that's probably the statistical difference.

However, Brown is much more effective inside the 50 meter arc, and that's where it really counts.

Last 10 rounds cast some interesting numbers:

Brown: 6, 4, 0, 3, 2, 7, 0, 6, 4, 5 = 37
Daniher: 6, 3, 3, 1, 2, 3, 2, 0, 2, 2 = 24

Bags of 4 or more overall:

Brown = 14/81 = 17.3%
Daniher = 11/97 = 11.3%

16 months, and coming from a long way back development wise.

If Daniher played at North, Brown would be the full forward and Daniher would play centre half forward.

Correct Daniher is a CHF and Brown is a FF. That's why Daniher's 62 goals earning him AA and winning him club B&F was much more impressive than Brown's 63 goals .

Why do North supporters keep posting stats not including the first part of last season?

Correct Daniher is a CHF and Brown is a FF. That's why Daniher's 62 goals earning him AA and winning him club B&F was much more impressive than Brown's 63 goals .

Who is essendons full forward then?

Daniher was named in the forward pocket of the AA side.

Why do North supporters keep posting stats not including the first part of last season?

It defines the current trend line. Joe is approaching 10 straight games of ordinary/poor returns.

Last edited:
Who is essendons full forward then?

Daniher was named in the forward pocket of the AA side.

It defines the current trend line.

Hooker quite clearly played FF last season. Pretty sure he had the most marks inside 20/30m of any player in the comp.

Daniher on the other hand was second in the league for goals outside 50 .

Hooker quite clearly played FF last season. Pretty sure he had the most marks inside 20/30m of any player in the comp.

Daniher on the other hand was second in the league for goals outside 50 .

Okay. No issues with that.

Brown the better full forward , and Daniher is the better centre half forward..

In 2017, Daniher was better - close call.

Over the course of their careers, Brown has been better (more development, though).

Right now, Brown is much better.

Both guns. One is terribly out of form but showed promise in his most recent outing. The other is arguably the best forward in the comp on current form.

Enough, you pack of galahs.

The other is arguably the best forward in the comp on current form.

I'm a big fan of Brown; but I wouldn't have thought there was too much debate over Franklin being the in-form forward at the moment.

Brown does the basics of being a FF very well; marks and kicks straight. Something I wish Daniher would worry more about instead of trying to fill the highlight reel with the ridiculous.

I like that about Brown, he just gets the job done every week without fuss.

Daniher or Cameron are probably the two younger forwards who generate enough shots on goal when in form, but Daniher's accuracy means he'd have to have a Franklin 2008-esque season to kick the ton, ~200 scoring shots is no small ask. Brown would be the one who might knock it over with significantly less shots on goal, but hard to see him sustaining a ~5 goal / game average from here on out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a big fan of Brown; but I wouldn't have thought there was too much debate over Franklin being the in-form forward at the moment.

Brown does the basics of being a FF very well; marks and kicks straight. Something I wish Daniher would worry more about instead of trying to fill the highlight reel with the ridiculous.

I like that about Brown, he just gets the job done every week without fuss.

Daniher or Cameron are probably the two younger forwards who generate enough shots on goal when in form, but Daniher's accuracy means he'd have to have a Franklin 2008-esque season to kick the ton, ~200 scoring shots is no small ask. Brown would be the one who might knock it over with significantly less shots on goal, but hard to see him sustaining a ~5 goal / game average from here on out.

Fair points. When I said 'arguably', Franklin's name was the other that lept to mind.

No doubt Big Joe will get the opportunities to do it one day, but the issue for mine is conversion. His kick has improved from what it was, but he still has slips of poor technique and/or confidence.

Yep, Still has poor kicking days, But his kicking in the last 24 months has improved hugely to that of his 1st few seasons, He's improved his all round game year on year since his 1st, Will he this year? Who knows still to early to say.

And fwiw Buddy has poor days in front of goal as well, On the weekend he missed some gimme's himself.

I think Brown is capable of kicking 100 goals in a season, but I can't see it happening in 2018. I don't think we have the midfield depth at the moment to be competitive against the top teams and that will reduce the number of opportunities he gets each game.

Daniher is capable of kicking 100 goals, but again I can't see it happening in 2018. Along with Franklin he is just about the only guy in the league who kick them from anywhere within 60-70m metres from goal but his accuracy lets him down. He needs to improve his set shot if he is to be any chance.

Cameron is capable of kicking 100 goals and could possibly do it in 2018 if Patton and Green don't take too many opportunities away from him. He would also need an injury and suspension free season, which I don't think he has had in the past.

Franklin is capable of kicking 100 goals and could possibly do it in 2018 simply because he is Lance Franklin, the best forward this century.

I haven't seen enough of Lynch to make a judgement.

In 2017, Daniher was better - close call.

Over the course of their careers, Brown has been better (more development, though).

Right now, Brown is much better.

Both guns. One is terribly out of form but showed promise in his most recent outing. The other is arguably the best forward in the comp on current form.

Enough, you pack of galahs.

Daniher has had a lot, lot more development ... or more correctly development opportunity ... than Brown. Daniher was AIS academy for a start.

I posted earlier about how that's aspect of why Brown is far more reliable set shot. Brown has developed, and worked his arse off, to get a top notch set shot routine. Daniher relies on his undoubted enormous talent.

If Daniher had the same robotic muscle memory set shot routine as Brown, he'd kick a lot straighter.

Why do North supporters keep posting stats not including the first part of last season?[/QUOTE]
Because this when he changed his game away from the pure lead and mark ff most people seem to think he still is.
After the Sydney game when he was destroyed by a combination of double teaming and awful delivery (even by North standards), he started to use his massive tank to run defenders off their legs.

I don't think there's any sane essendon supporter.............(?).................who, if blessed with the good fortune of having Brown and Daniher on the list, would then place Daniher at full forward in preference to Brown.

I don't think there's any sane essendon supporter.............(?).................who, if blessed with the good fortune of having Brown and Daniher on the list, would then place Daniher at full forward in preference to Brown.
They'd suit each other perfectly.

They'd suit each other perfectly.

True, shame you guys didn't go under a few years ago after the doping stuff, allowing us to merge with you similar to what we proposed to Fitzroy.

In that situation the AFL would have allowed us ten of your players to come over before giving the rest of the comp a go at the corpse.

Daniher would definitely have been in the four or five we'd have taken.

True, shame you guys didn't go under a few years ago after the doping stuff, allowing us to merge with you similar to what we proposed to Fitzroy.

In that situation the AFL would have allowed us ten of your players to come over before giving the rest of the comp a go at the corpse.

Daniher would definitely have been in the four or five we'd have taken.
Out of interest who would be the others? Don’t have any gears for the meat grinder (I.e. fat, slow, unskilled inside mids) so I’m keen to know who would fit the shinboner spirit

Wayne Carey summed them up perfectly last night in talking footy. Brown is a much more efficient player, Daniher has more tricks in his bag.
Both very good forwards, but hard to compare.

Remove this Banner Ad

A 100 goal season & Joe Daniher: is he overwhelmingly the most capable player of achieving it again?

Back