Senior List
Feb 11, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
Two sacrileges in fact !

First I would like to say that years ago, I was probably one the the first who went on record asking for Ken Judge to be sacked. In fact when he was invited to be our head coach I was totally dismayed by the decision and knew it would be a disaster for us. It was.

Now let me be one of the first to go on record to say that our current coach John Worsfold as much as I like him as a person and as much as I admire him as a great player and captain of the Eagles, has given already everything he knows as a coach and his slide down has began. It all started last year at the end of the footy season. A really good coach wouldn't slide from second to 8th in a few games. We almost didn't qualify for the finals. Wosha is now another Peter Schwab and another Danny Frawley. They started well at their respective teams but they are now a shadow of what they used to be. Yes they can win a few games but both Hawthorn and Richmond are just making the numbers. They will never challenge for the title with those coaches. Now in regard to Wosha and the Eagles please save me the same old excuses about injuries, bad luck, etc.

Now talking about making the numbers here goes my second sacrilege. I have said this before and the more I see the more I'm convinced that both the Eagles and the Dockers are just decorations in a cake. The cake being the AFL competion. We are decorating the cake but will never eat it. That means that we are just making the numbers but will never challenge for the title. This town is big enough to have two competive teams but not big enough for either of them to challenge for another premiership. To win the title we needed a very, very strong team " a la Eagles" 1992/1994. I won't explain why because I did it already one year ago and I got exhausted with answering questions and even getting a bit of abuse.

There are several reasons why a second team was created in WA. One of them being that the Subiaco Oval was too small and many people couldn't see the Eagles playing. A second team solved this problem and now you can have 40.000 people watching an Eagles game and 30,000 at a Dockers game. However the right solution should have been the construction of a new stadium for 80,000 people and maintain only one team. Had that happened we would have a team to win premierships. The way things are and no matter how delusional the supporters of the Eagles and the Dockers are, neither team will win a premiership for a very, very long time if ever. Now if you live in Perth and look at the AFL competition as a theatre or a circus where you can watch games just for the pleasure of it, then there is no problem. But if you are either an Eagles or a Dockers fan and aspire to see your team win a premiership then you are up for a loooong path filled with disappointments and no light at the end of the tunnel.

..... a lot of sacrilege.

I said this last week when some twit was suggesting we trade Judd, but- 'two straight losses, trade Judd, three straight losses, sack Worsfold'.

We're a team which has had appalling luck this year and is in a dreadful slump at the moment. Excuses, yep, but do you disagree that they are true?
How that equates to us needing to sack Worsfold, well the mind boggles.

Its your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I feel embarassed to have read this thread.

I'll bite:)

I dont know about those comments. Obviously they are sacrilege:p Woosha isnt finished. I have felt for a little this year that we may have to go backwards, get a team set-up that will WORK before we go forwards. I think 2003 SHOULD have been the year but we pushed on in hope too long. Woosh learnt from that IMO and so this year we are seeing him testing the squad. We've had Seaby, Waters, Nicoski and now Jones debut in the space of 4-5 weeks. All have shown some very good signs. Nico looks set down back. Jones was great today. Seaby was unluckily dropped and Waters was a surprise exit before the derby and is now injured i think?

He has also NOW with Glass and Gaspar back been able to start looking for those KPP's we need before we go forward. Glass, for mine, is our FB and Lynch has been very very good at CHB also. So Woosh is sorting out the area he knows best. Our midfield is still good, obviously however gardiner is a MASSIVE loss, many sides have shown how big a fall they ahve when their best players go down.

Forward we are struggling but im happy to give Woosha the rest of this year to sort that out. All in all i reckon 2005 is where we'll see EXACTLY what sort of coach he is. Theres NO WAY the team we have ATM, with their current experience etc, can win a prem this year BUT in 1-2 years they SHOULD start pushing. Its when we dont start improving, when we should, thats Woosha's coaching MAY or MAY NOT come into question. For now i think he will be a long term good premiership AFL coach.

On the second point I also do not agree. Freo are starting to rise up well, just like the Saints, showing draft picks are the key. Theres no guarantee they will either win a prem but both certaintly COULD in the near future, depending on list management etc. WCE may suffer because we havent had a prolonged time out of the 8, we havent languished at the bottom and recieved those picks. If, in 2-3 years time Carlton starts to rise again and look ferocious then that will prove it IMO. Its not how many teams we have in WA but how we manage the team. If WCE wanted we could have stayed at the bottom longer and got more picks. Only thing the state has any say over is financially and its becoming clear, in my mind, that financially 2 teams is GREAT for WA.

So all in all i disagree with both points and thik, in time, you'll see why:)

Originally posted by Mead
[B Its your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I feel embarassed to have read this thread. [/B]

I do not. Nothing wrong with having a discussion regarding our coaches or the status of football in Perth. There should be no sacred cows, ie subjects that we should not dicuss, as this would only set us up for mediocraty (spelling sucks).

I will respond to this topic but have to cool down first. So I do not say anything that I may regret later.

Bah Mead, you always shrug off the hard issues. Questions should be asked of Worsfold, the team is not travelling well. Nobody seems to be willing to question the so-called "best midfield in the country" so why make Woosha immune to critism too?

Or perhaps question the players?
I've stated before that this core group won't ever win a flag but I do think they can perform better.

When the chips are down, supporters want to know why, not everyone is willing to except excuses and wait for things to fall into place.

On the original topic, Freo aren't in the same boat as us and could win a flag with the group they have, why they were even brought into this topic, I don't know.

Hi Mead. You shouldn't be embarrassed. Just brave enough to accept that there are no sacred cows as "no1bankteller" said. Now did I say sack Worsfold ? Even knowing that we are up for a rough road ahead, I'm not yet asking for his head. I'm just stating what to me seem obvious. He is not a bad coach but he isn't a good coach either. Wosha is a middle of the road coach like Frawley and Schwab.

Now your reaction is very familiar to me though there is a difference. By the middle of 2000 I didn't suggest that Ken Judge was a middle of the road coach. I clearly said he was a terrible coach and should be sacked and many people were outraged by my post. But In 2002 everybody agreed with what I had said 2 years before. In two or three years come back and read my previous post and you'll probably be the first to agree with what I'm saying now. I'm just saying now what many people will say in a couple of years.

Originally posted by Black JuJu
Bah Mead, you always shrug off the hard issues. Questions should be asked of Worsfold, the team is not travelling well. Nobody seems to be willing to question the so-called "best midfield in the country" so why make Woosha immune to critism too?

Or perhaps question the players?
I've stated before that this core group won't ever win a flag but I do think they can perform better.

When the chips are down, supporters want to know why, not everyone is willing to except excuses and wait for things to fall into place.

On the original topic, Freo aren't in the same boat as us and could win a flag with the group they have, why they were even brought into this topic, I don't know.

I don't think its particularly hard to call for the coaches head, in fact I think its typical in this situation, but in no way is it warranted. Its a knee jerk response to a us being in a slump

Put simply, why Worsfold? What exactly do you think he's doing wrong? Got any wonderful quick fix solutions hanging about?

The simple answer to why we are where we're at is that we've got zilch depth, and then lost the most vital players to our success.
That's not Worsfold's fault, that's a problem which goes back around 5 or 6 years to the end of the Malthouse era. The only time I've ever felt very critical of Worsfold's overall plan is the overuse of Jakovich and McIntosh last year meant we failed to use the young guys as much as we could, but that's been remedied this year.

Tell me, what do you want? If our biggest problem is lack of strength of our list, how is that Worsfold's fault? He's developed some fantastic options who are only beginning to play good footy, but the reality is when he came to this club we had nothing, nil, nada. So what has he done wrong

Basically, take your pick, either the team we fielded today was actually a very good side (nope, you don't agree with that), which is horribly underachieving thanks to Worsfold, or its a side with some pretty big holes in it which is struggling as a result. If anything, we've overachieved a fair bit these last two years with what we had available, but that's good coaching, not bad.

Take your pick.. either question the quality of our list or the quality of our coaching. But if both are dreadful, then how on earth have we made the finals these last two years?

Originally posted by Geonet
Hi Mead. You shouldn't be embarrassed. Just brave enough to accept that there are no sacred cows as "no1bankteller" said. Now did I say sack Worsfold ? Even knowing that we are up for a rough road ahead, I'm not yet asking for his head. I'm just stating what to me seem obvious. He is not a bad coach but he isn't a good coach either. Wosha is a middle of the road coach like Frawley and Schwab.

Now your reaction is very familiar to me though there is a difference. By the middle of 2000 I didn't suggest that Ken Judge was a middle of the road coach. I clearly said he was a terrible coach and should be sacked and many people were outraged by my post. But In 2002 everybody agreed with what I had said 2 years before. In two or three years come back and read my previous post and you'll probably be the first to agree with what I'm saying now. I'm just saying now what many people will say in a couple of years.

I think this might be a better discussion to have in a few days once I've calmed down, but putting Worsfold on par with Frawley and Schwab is a bit much.

I realise people hate the idea of there being excuses for poor performances, but don't you agree that since about round 17 last year, we've had a pretty dreadful run in terms of injuries to players vital to our game plan??
Don't you think its fair to suggest that we're performing nowhere near what we're capable because of that?
Do you think a theoretical 'good coach' say, Chris Connelly would be doing any better under present circumstances?

If you can answer no, no and yes to those three questions, then maybe you have some ground for saying what you're saying, but otherwise, why?

If, in two or three years we suck, then I dare say I owe you an apology, but if we turn it around then you owe Woosh an apology.

Eagleskickass, good points on your post though you disagree with me. Now about Fremantle or the Eagles winning a premiership I don't think so. Neither WA team will win a premiership for many, many years if ever and in this statement I will make your words mine and say "in time, you'll see why".

You're only as good as the cattle that you've got. The current list is just not good enough with guys like Carroll, Chambers, Green, Humm, Munro etcetera. West Coast needs to bight the bullet and start blooding the youngsters, in particular the key position players to have a bona fide tilt by season 2007. We are seeing it is now paying dividends for the Saints, and did for Brisbane several years back.

In light of the comment, nothing beats confidence and Worsfold can scream until the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is our key position players are crap and our midfield, like much of the team is unaccountable to the max.

All in all, this list is quite average at the moment and we are a long way off challenging for the flag.

Consider this

Players like Nicoski, Jones, Waters, Staker, Johnson, Seaby, Butler and Beeck need as much exposure as possible in the remaining rounds. Consider that after the end of this season they would have 10-15 games experience each will be invaluable. This will help in constructing a steady platform to move forward into the future with. With Gardiner back next year, the team would already look a little stronger.

Developing, or ready made KPP are the priority as off-season signings for team balance. I don't care how good a team's midfield is, if you don't have a spine capable of delivering, the team won't deliver. In the modern era of football, the emphasis is stuck on the midfield. Call me a traditionalist, but the sheer fact is without quality KPP to score or stop the goals, you will never challenge for the flag.

Mead I will appologize to anyone if I'm wrong and believe me I wish I can apologize to Woosha and to you, but unfortunately I don't think I will. I never apologized to anyone about what I said back in 2000 in regard to Ken Judge, because from the start I was always right on target. Now I didn't expect you coming with the injuries excuse and other similar ones. Those are just excuses used too often.

By the way I will also appologize to anyone if in the next 10 years any of the WA teams wins a premiership. I'm surprised nobody else have discovered that neither team stands a chance of winning a premiership in the present conditions. The reasons ? Make a search on my posts about a year ago. I don't want to repeat myself.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion - no problem there. Allowed to express it too.

Football is a different thing to politics or religion though - it's much more important, so things like loyalty and stickability when the going is tough are the value of a fan.

My 2c FWIW:

1. Worsfold - young coach, took the senior job a year earlier than he wanted to because otherwise he wouldn't get back to WA at AFL level for several years (assuming Judge's or Drum's successor wasn't as bad - and I think that's a fair assumption!).

Surrounds himself with a combination of known and trusted (Wiley, Sumich) and other wise heads (Micale).

Got his team to overperform remarkably in his first season. Inherited the worst list in the competition according to many good judges.

Was doing even better in his second until 4 of his key players were struck down at once.

3rd season is proving a struggle and I'm sure he now wishes he'd listened to Mead and given younger players a go instead of Milli & Jako. Unlucky to lose the best ruckman in the competition. Tough draw - all top 4 teams at home so far and only "weak" (and really there is no such thing) teams have been Bulldogs and Carlton, both in Melbourne. Only 1 shocker this year (Carlton) and playing fairly good footy.

Overall - Showing good signs. Clearly respected by the players. Needs to wise up a little tactically. Has good vision and faith in himself and his players. Not afraid to make tough decisions. (Frawley & Schwab? Oh please).

2. WA issue - I half agree with you. There is no doubt that it is easier to win a flag from Melbourne. Collingwood are really pretty ordinary and got to 2 GFs with a great coach, confidence, Eddie and so on. The travel makes it hard for WA teams. We don't have the free extra home games of Brisbane or Sydney against impoverished Mel teams who sell their soul/home games.

But Brisbane have shown how to do it. An awesome coach - the best of the modern era ahead of Sheedy & Malthouse (don't forget what he did at Collingwood before the Lions). The best player of the era (Voss). They finished last and got some good draft picks. They incorporated the best that Fitzroy had to offer. One of the best young CHFs, the second best FF, a star midfield, a strong defence. The odd good trade (Pike, Michael). But mostly good home-grown talent that took time to develop.

I believe it can be done - by either WA team - and Freo are ahead of us by a year or two atm because of their KPPs. But I think ours are coming.

Originally posted by Mead

That's not Worsfold's fault, that's a problem which goes back around 5 or 6 years to the end of the Malthouse era.

Mead here we go again blaming Malthouse for someone else's inability. The lack of KJ coaching skills was also and ridiculously blamed on Malthouse, because in some people's mind Micky was responsible for our so called "poor recruiting". In fact Malthouse did a fantastic job even when he couldn't get the players he needed to continue our assaults on premierships. Why are there still people blaming Malthouse for our woes in the recent past and present ? It was also Malthouse's fault that he missed on players who went to others teams rather that to the Eagles ? Or is the case that his problems started when we were no longer the only team in town ? Think about it ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow! Talk about hitting the panic button. You've all gone nuts. Sack Worsfold?? Somehow, I dont think so.

And all this talk of an average list, we suck etc etc...

Everyone take your fingers off the panic button. Here is the bottom line.

1. Worsfold is a very good coach who will only get better with more experience.

2. Our list is not average. It's quite good but it does have a few too many passengers.

3. We can challenge for a premiership, not this year but certainly in the next two or three years.

4. This season is not lost. Yeah were 2-5 but we should win 2 of our next three with Sydney and Richmond at home. That will get us to 4-6 and almost into our cushy middle of the season run. Not to mention we have 4 of our last 5 at home.

5. I think we all expect too much from our young talls. We expect Doogs to be Lloyd right now and Gaspar should be Tredrea already. It just doesnt happen that quickly. But it's been positive. Lynch has been really good at CHB and Glass is great at FB. Gaspar is back and uninjured in two outings and Doogs shows glimpses.

6. We have also blooded some other youngsters who are pretty talented like Waters, Jones and Nicoski. Plus Butler is yet to get a chance.

7. We have played some of the best sides in the competition from the get go with games against Ess, Mel, Port, Bris, Freo so its no wonder we are struggling without Gardiner.

So I know im being positive but lets not hit the panic button just yet.

Originally posted by jod23
I think we all expect too much from our young talls.

We expect Doogs to be Lloyd right now

So I know im being positive but lets not hit the panic button just yet.

I agree with the first and third of your sentences that I've quoted.

It's the middle one that worries me. I saw Lloyd play a final against the Eagles in 1995 at Waverly when he was (I'm guessing) 17. Doogs has been on our list for 4 years and is 20 or 21? He's not a ruckman, he's an athletic KPP. I don't agree it should take that long. Lloyd ruptured a spleen or a kidney or something very painful anyway in a final at Sydney and is still fantastic now, years later. Doogs has broken his jaw once and some say he's brave. I say he needs to show more and soon.

I don't think Croad is any good, but not because he's young and will improve.

Heart and drive are needed for success in footy, as well as athletic ability.

You're right though - OPT.

Only Positive Thoughts. You can do it Doogs. Go Eagles.

Originally posted by Jod

Wow! Talk about hitting the panic button.

Hitting the panic button ? I'm as calm as ever. I'm calm and my mind is clear because I feel I have already seen what is coming. I'm just saying now what I think many will say in a couple of years.

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
I agree with the first and third of your sentences that I've quoted.

It's the middle one that worries me. I saw Lloyd play a final against the Eagles in 1995 at Waverly when he was (I'm guessing) 17. Doogs has been on our list for 4 years and is 20 or 21? He's not a ruckman, he's an athletic KPP. I don't agree it should take that long. Lloyd ruptured a spleen or a kidney or something very painful anyway in a final at Sydney and is still fantastic now, years later. Doogs has broken his jaw once and some say he's brave. I say he needs to show more and soon.

I don't think Croad is any good, but not because he's young and will improve.

Heart and drive are needed for success in footy, as well as athletic ability.

You're right though - OPT.

Only Positive Thoughts. You can do it Doogs. Go Eagles.

Well using Lloyd was perhaps a silly idea as he is clearly gifted and will be an all time great once he retires. But we have seen what Doogs can do. He is capable and I think he will eventually put it all together. Not suggesting he will be another Lloyd but Im just saying that I think he can be a good and consistent player in the future.

Originally posted by dasler
You're only as good as the cattle that you've got. The current list is just not good enough with guys like Carroll, Chambers, Green, Humm, Munro etcetera. West Coast needs to bight the bullet and start blooding the youngsters, in particular the key position players to have a bona fide tilt by season 2007. We are seeing it is now paying dividends for the Saints, and did for Brisbane several years back.

In light of the comment, nothing beats confidence and Worsfold can scream until the cows come home, but the fact of the matter is our key position players are crap and our midfield, like much of the team is unaccountable to the max.

All in all, this list is quite average at the moment and we are a long way off challenging for the flag.

Consider this

Players like Nicoski, Jones, Waters, Staker, Johnson, Seaby, Butler and Beeck need as much exposure as possible in the remaining rounds. Consider that after the end of this season they would have 10-15 games experience each will be invaluable. This will help in constructing a steady platform to move forward into the future with. With Gardiner back next year, the team would already look a little stronger.

Developing, or ready made KPP are the priority as off-season signings for team balance. I don't care how good a team's midfield is, if you don't have a spine capable of delivering, the team won't deliver. In the modern era of football, the emphasis is stuck on the midfield. Call me a traditionalist, but the sheer fact is without quality KPP to score or stop the goals, you will never challenge for the flag.

Well said Dasler!
The only thing i'm not certain about is our midfield being unaccountable. I actually agree with what you say but believe that certain mids like Cousins and Judd don't have to be super accountable just like Voss and Akermanis or Buckley, Hird etc. But where we do fall down is a super midfielder who is very accountable like Carr(2), Black, Johnson, etc.
We have Kerr who is getting better atit but still a long way to go and Braun who is also doing better but when he does have it doesn't use it.
Spot on about where the team is at and the blooding of kids.

this is worsfolds first true test as the coach of the eagles. how he responds to the challenge in the next few months will weigh heavily on his future.

in my opinion wrosfold is not a tactical coach. he is a motivator which leaves him in an awkward position when he lacks the cattle to do the job.

Originally posted by noodle
this is worsfolds first true test as the coach of the eagles. how he responds to the challenge in the next few months will weigh heavily on his future.

in my opinion wrosfold is not a tactical coach. he is a motivator which leaves him in an awkward position when he lacks the cattle to do the job.

Wow!

Such a simple statement and yet so true!

Personally I do not want to see Worsfold lose his job as our coach. Though I would love to see the following changes.

1) Recruit an interstate coach as an assistant to Worsfold to do the job Robert Shaw does for Bombers. Sombody who has been a senior coach and has no ambition to become the no1 guy but is very tactically minded. The coaches that coem to mind are Stan Alves, Terry Wheeler. I would love Terry Wallace but he would not accept the job and we should stay clear from Rodney Eade.

2) Get rid of some of the WA contingent. I am concerned at how insular we have become within our coaching structure and that there is no diversity of opinion. To me it seems that we have lot of yes men sitting around Woosha when we probably need few others that will challenge his decisions. Its only when Woosha is challenged by opinion of others and then able come up with robust solution that we will have a chance of winning a premiership as its only then that we will have all contingencies covered off..

3) In my opinion that may be Sumich. Now I know Suma has some fans here but as the man in charge of our midfield brigade he needs to take responsibility about the way we play the game. That is our midfielders are unaccountable and their disposal and aspecially delivery to the forwards is becoming worse each week. I also think that there is not much tactical nouse about hte way our midfield goes about its job. For insatance the inability of our midfield to adjust to the loss of Gardiner. Now I know people here are going to sing praises of the way Suma has built our midfield, well I am sorry but I disagree. Judd and Kerr were just about ready made players on arrival and Cousins was here before Suma became our coach as was Fletcher. Having said all that I think that Fletcher and Embley are probably the only ones that may have benefited of Sumas tutolage.

Well that is my opinion and I am sure that most here will not agree but such is life and I am no1bankteller...

Just one additional comment relating to my last post and how Woosha needs diversity of opinion around him. I remember last year, as I am sure most of you will, how in the 2nd half of the season our attack stalled and we were struggling to put a score on the board. At the time Woosha was challenged by the media abut how our forward line does not function and rather then re-assess he put up the shutters and kept on replying how we have kicked the greatest score for. IMO if he had a cooler wiser head beside him as a council he would have dealt with that situation somewhat better I am sure.

Where Worsfold excells as a coach is his willingness to listen to the assistant coaches around him, something Judge was incapable of. Put a good team around him, and the sky is the limit. An idea could be to possibly get a non-WA personality to give another opinion on matters? Get a great of the game, a guy who knows the victorian style of play, to come over West and give his expert advice to the team. I would love to see the eagles make a move to sign up Liberatore, or maybe snatch current assistants with experience under their belts.

Sacking Worsfold will set us back 2 years.

Great Thread!!

The only thing I just don't understand is the line that WA will never win a premiership with the Eagles or the Dockers.

As someone else said it is harder for WA sides to win due to all the travelling, but it has been done before and can be done again.

With the draft I can not see how the AFL can manage West Coast and Fremantle to stay mediocre and middle of the road sides. Fremantle won a spoon and got the priority picks and so did Brisbane and the Saints and look where they are now. The draft picks have now paid dividends and I can not see how if we finished last this year the AFL would stop us having a generous slice of the draft. We pick 3 of the best players in the country, get a few games behind them and suddenly we will be up there in the top 4 in 2-3 years time.

The Eagles will win another premiership in my lifetime. They are a great club, very professional, will always have the sponsors and money coming into the club and a huge number of members every year. This type of club attracts players and with our short yet successful history, we are becoming a club with tradition and history.

This club is too proud to allow ourselves to be a mediocre side or one to make up numbers in the AFL.

With the KPPs coming along, give us 3-4 years and this outfit will be up there with the very best.

As for Woosha, who else could you ask for? The guy is a legend of the club, well respected and his players will play for him. H will gain the experience over the years and with the knowledge of Parkin, Malthouse and his current crop of assistants, Woosha will indeed be a great AFL coach.

Originally posted by jod23
Well using Lloyd was perhaps a silly idea as he is clearly gifted and will be an all time great once he retires. But we have seen what Doogs can do. He is capable and I think he will eventually put it all together. Not suggesting he will be another Lloyd but Im just saying that I think he can be a good and consistent player in the future.

Fraser Gehrig may have been the one to go with to highlight your point.

Agree with everything you said in your previous post, talk about an overreaction to a few losses

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
Where Worsfold excells as a coach is his willingness to listen to the assistant coaches around him, something Judge was incapable of. Put a good team around him, and the sky is the limit. An idea could be to possibly get a non-WA personality to give another opinion on matters? Get a great of the game, a guy who knows the victorian style of play, to come over West and give his expert advice to the team. I would love to see the eagles make a move to sign up Liberatore, or maybe snatch current assistants with experience under their belts.

Sacking Worsfold will set us back 2 years.

Im not sure about his tactics, but woosha is a great motivator of men. A quality which few people have within all aspects of life.

His tacticall skills will improve with time. His attitude and disposition should never be in question !

Remove this Banner Ad

a bit of sacrilege

Remove this Banner Ad

Back