Club History A compendium of Tasmanian club heritage

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 5, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
NMFC
G'day everyone

The last two expansion teams in GCS and GWS came in to the competition devoid of any real culture or heritage behind them.

What does it mean to a player to throw on that red or orange guernsey?
What kind of legacy do they inherit on draft night?

What do they represent other than the AFL's desire to expand?

With this in mind, I'm hoping to take on a personal project to create a Compendium to highlight what we want the club to represent.

A collection of key moments, experiences and ideas that make up the Tasmanian identity. Obviously this would need to include key topics that relate specifically to AFL footy, but I also want it to reflect the broader Tasmanian history.

I'm hoping everyone here can chuck in their thoughts on what should be included. I'm happy to do all the research etc, But I need help to capture a broader view than what I would be able to create alone.

There's no right or wrong answers, I'm happy to hear anything you feel is relevant.

I'd love for a player to be able to flick through the book and get a quick understanding of what their guernsey represents.

Sometimes these cultural things can happen organically. Like "Defend the Island" for the Jackjumpers did even though its a new franchise I think that will stick in Tasmanian basketball for a long time.

I was too young and not that into football when the Devils played VFL, so don't know much about that era and what cultural ideas they had but might be a starting point.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Club History A compendium of Tasmanian club heritage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back