A decision has to be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m walking away.
Took some time away so I wasn’t irrational after the loss. As it honestly has nothing to do with the actual game.
There are frustrations in the media reporting from down south and also how the club presents itself.
I cant afford to spend coin on a club that will end up being Canberra or even not existing.
The clubs main issue is its efforts/wants, due to Vic leadership, to be everything to everyone but nothing to everyone.
The club will never grow until it decides what it is.
Short term the big ideals are rightfully Canberra.
Long term Western Sydney is a gold mine and which was what the plan was.
Club needs to pick one. Will never be anything until it picks a home.
I will permanently leave if they choose Canberra but that’s my personal choice.
That’s before I get to the vfl media wanting us to play in the bloody SCG. Morons. 🙄
Seriously considering axing membership till it’s decided, ended my social media (X, Bigfooty etc) because it all pissed me off with the rubbish. Footy should be fun. It isn’t anymore defending the club when they won’t do the same.
There is some hard choices, and while I prefer one of them and would walk away for the other, either way it makes the club stronger picking a lane.
Short term boom Canberra or long term bonanza that is Western Sydney.
We can’t have both. It hasn’t, and won’t, work.
Straight sets exists for the first time isn’t a problem and we can all see, as can Kingers, there’s a fix involved.
We will be back on field.
But the club has to make a choice off field, one that will either hurt more than anything since Balmain axing or give me renewed hope.

This is not meant as disrespect to our Canberra fans, or anyone, and wish everyone the best.
While the club was supposed to be about generational growth in WS I can see the Canberra angle, painful either way.

Just trying to work out how to cancel my premium gold membership on here.
I’m old reember
Just write to Chief and I'm sure he'll sort you out. Or Wosh.

Sorry to read your intentions here. I respect your view, because it's been consistent, and based on your passion for what could be.

I hope that you might reconsider and stay ... work from within ... but if not, thanks for your support and contribution over many years and best of luck with everything in the future.

Not sure what we expect from the club. We are GWS and unfortunately we lose our home ground for 4 weeks for the show. We could play at the SCG instead of Manuka but I think Manuka works well. We gain sponsorship from Canberra appropriately 1m per season. What’s the issue doing this when our home ground is unavailable

Not sure what we expect from the club. We are GWS and unfortunately we lose our home ground for 4 weeks for the show. We could play at the SCG instead of Manuka but I think Manuka works well. We gain sponsorship from Canberra appropriately 1m per season. What’s the issue doing this when our home ground is unavailable
March 16 through May 18 is the period the oval’s out of action.
4 weeks wouldn’t be an issue.
If AFL and the rights holders took more care with the fixture the Giants could have a home game every 3 weeks across the season with an away game at the SCG in the middle of the show break.

As a Sydney-based member, I don’t mind the Canberra connection. It’s nice to get down there for a game or two each year (understand not everyone can do this based on their circumstances).

As a Sydney-based member, I don’t mind the Canberra connection. It’s nice to get down there for a game or two each year (understand not everyone can do this based on their circumstances).
Agree, it’s really nice to go down there. For the majority who don’t attend in CBR for whatever reason end up with a very disjointed schedule in Sydney.

Regardless of how anyone feels. The current Canberra contract doesn't end until 2032 so it will be 3 games a year in Canberra until then. At which point we will have done 20 years in Sydney/Canberra and we will have groups of kids coming through in both Sydney and Canberra who have only ever known the AFL comp with the giants in it, and see the giants as their local club.

Last edited:
I’m walking away.
Took some time away so I wasn’t irrational after the loss. As it honestly has nothing to do with the actual game.
There are frustrations in the media reporting from down south and also how the club presents itself.
I cant afford to spend coin on a club that will end up being Canberra or even not existing.
The clubs main issue is its efforts/wants, due to Vic leadership, to be everything to everyone but nothing to everyone.
The club will never grow until it decides what it is.
Short term the big ideals are rightfully Canberra.
Long term Western Sydney is a gold mine and which was what the plan was.
Club needs to pick one. Will never be anything until it picks a home.
I will permanently leave if they choose Canberra but that’s my personal choice.
That’s before I get to the vfl media wanting us to play in the bloody SCG. Morons. 🙄
Seriously considering axing membership till it’s decided, ended my social media (X, Bigfooty etc) because it all pissed me off with the rubbish. Footy should be fun. It isn’t anymore defending the club when they won’t do the same.
There is some hard choices, and while I prefer one of them and would walk away for the other, either way it makes the club stronger picking a lane.
Short term boom Canberra or long term bonanza that is Western Sydney.
We can’t have both. It hasn’t, and won’t, work.
Straight sets exists for the first time isn’t a problem and we can all see, as can Kingers, there’s a fix involved.
We will be back on field.
But the club has to make a choice off field, one that will either hurt more than anything since Balmain axing or give me renewed hope.

This is not meant as disrespect to our Canberra fans, or anyone, and wish everyone the best.
While the club was supposed to be about generational growth in WS I can see the Canberra angle, painful either way.
Sorry to hear you feel this way. I hope you don't go.

I understand a lot of us are hurting because of the way the season ended, and how it deepens the pain of other things in life making us unhappy.

For me, supporting the team matters more than where they play. I found out this year the match day parties are a great way to connect with other members of the Giants family when we play away from home.

We've built a wonderful club with a bright future. Be part of it.

I know many on this forum has spent years of dedication, money and passion for the club. Respect!

This is purely my opinion and it doesn't mean to disagree with some posters here - I don't have concern about the direction of the GWS off the field.

Yes, it sucks about the Easter show. Yes, AFL draw isn't conducive. But the club can't realistically alter this. We can argue till the full time, but it is what it is.

AFL has a bigger issue to deal with its draw, equalisation for WA clubs. An issue that AFL has acknowledged. I don't think it will priotise GWS over WA clubs on this matter.

My final point is about how to measure success of the club offfield. What is your expectation/dream of GWS in terms of supporters/members /brand in Western Sydney? Can GWS surpass Parra or Penrith in terms of support? I doubt this. Can GWS be considered a success offfield if good finance and small but steady growth in memberships every year?

I would be over the moon if GWS can become Melbourne Storm of the Western Sydney! A boutique club with a mix of dedicated supporters and casuals enjoying sustained success onfield.

I think if Canberra had its own side, GWS might be better off as it forces us to get more of the Swans territory, which is better than our Sydney connection in so many demographic terms ( i.e % of people born in Aus, % of people growing up in or with a father growing up in VIc, SA Wa, TAS).
Canberra itself is valuable afl territory, but 270km away is almost impossible to travel to or from unless you stay overnight.
Also surely the Riverina area is back in play, perhaps as a joint area the 3 nsw/ act teams share in.

I am not opposed to SCG as such, but don't mind if other people are.
It is perhaps worth trying, especially around Easter show time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

A decision has to be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back