A decision has to be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that since 2018, we have been trying to brand ourselves as the GIANTS. Unfortunately some in the media still call us GWS which I think is the worst possible name for us.

You've got to change your name to MelbourneGIANTS to help with the transition.

I think part of it would be the on-screen scoreboard. GWS is easy. GIAN would look a bit weird.

I thought that since 2018, we have been trying to brand ourselves as the GIANTS. Unfortunately some in the media still call us GWS which I think is the worst possible name for us.

Which never works.
All the Super Rugby teams changed their name and ditched their location, they’ve now gone back to including the lcoation.
North in the AFL did it, then changed back.
Sharks and Dogs in the NRL, changed back. Dolphins currently, but their fans chant Redcliffe.

No club in the major comps around the World has a name that is “The Mascot”.

It’s a silly marketing gimic to be everything for everybody, but ends up being nothing for anyone.

Last edited:
I think part of it would be the on-screen scoreboard. GWS is easy. GIAN would look a bit weird.
Wouldn't be the first time for the Giants Stadium scoreboard - I've still got a photo on my phone of Tory Dicks leading the goal kicking against us one game.

Remove this Banner Ad

A decision has to be made.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back