A Dummies Guide - Dealing with Anti AFL bullies and Trolls

Remove this Banner Ad

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Something I have noticed on social media of late, is the increased AFL bashing and running down of the game by a) The Sydney centric media, which unfortunately distributes the national news too and b) The resulting rugby league and soccer fans hatred for our game, displayed online (Facebook, Twitter, comments sections etc) by constantly sh*tting on our sport and lambasting anyone that likes it (imagine being a young kid in Sydney saying you like AFL in front of these idiots, you’d basically get bullied relentlessly till you give it up).

Anyhow, previously I just turned the other cheek, but recently I have been looking into it more and have realised it is really damaging to the brand of Australian football, the growth of the game and it detracts from attracting new fans, particularly in nsw & qld (which is their obvious intention). The problem is, the brainwashing, bullying and negativity is working and AFL fans tend to sit passive and unfortunately don't defend our game.

Anyhow, here are some common criticisms of Australian Football (AFL) you will run into online, or in person and ways to point out how dumb they are:

You get a point for missing –
You get a point for getting in the scoring area, but not the main target, no different to other sports where you have to hit a target to score, like archery, darts, shooting, tenpin bowling etc.

Soccer is the world game – It kind of helps that it was invented by the British Empire, who ruled the world at the time and spread it globally, like all their invented sports. Get a history lesson.

If AFL is so good, how come it’s not international – Because Australia had a population of < 5million when these sports were spreading and next to zero pull on the world stage, people didn’t even know the country existed, yet you expect them to spread their sport international... really?

Looking forward to the AFL world cup – The AFL do have a world cup, its not professional though. They could run a world cup like RL does by grabbing Polynesian expats out of western Sydney to fill most of the teams, but that would be embarrassing.

They wear short shorts – Same length of the shorts NRL players wear actually.

Fumbles – It’s pretty easy not to fumble when you have a rubber ball thrown to you underarm, from a meter away, under zero pressure, even a toddler could catch that.

It's only played in Victoria. Over 80 players in the AFL are from NSW & QLD and there are nearly as many club participants for Australian football in NSW & QLD, as rugby league. A higher percentage of teams in the AFL come from outside Victoria (45%), than the percentage of teams in the NRL that come from outside NSW (38%). Also, haven’t the storm only had one player from Victoria in 25 yrs? Lol. The game of RL is virtually non-existent outside of 2 states in Australia, it’s embarrassing.

Aerial pingpong – Yeah the ball moves more than 2 metres at a time and in the forward direction, its hard to keep up with for halfwits, I know.

It's not Australian, it's Victorian – Last time I checked Victoria is in Australia, does that mean vegemite is not Australian too?

It's only played in Australia, domestic sport - yeah same as the biggest sport in the U.S, called the NFL.

Soccer has the most participants - All non-contact sports have higher participation rates, they are safer and easier to play and soccer only requires one round ball to play, anybody can play it, even a 2 year old (see Dana White comments).

What about tv rights, sponsorship, attendance, membership, revenue? (all at least double, some 10x that of Australian soccer). Also fun fact, the AFL makes more money per year than the NRL, Australian Soccer and Rugby Australian combined, its basically a no contest for popularity, in every key metric possible.

If you wanna go the proactive route yourself, some funny digs I've seen online and terms that get under the skin of these numpties:

Rugby league:

• Call it just ‘rugby’
  • Alternate name ‘throwball’
  • Bum sniffers
  • Mungo’s
  • 'It’s an imported pommie sport, that isn’t even popular in the country that invented it, that tells you something’.
  • ‘The least skilful sport on the planet, throwing an underarm pass 2m sideways and running in a straight line with the ball under your arm, wow’.
  • ‘The most repetitive sport in the world’.
  • 'The most difficult thing in the sport is being able to run 5 metres in a straight line'.
  • ‘It’s so basic, that’s why only halfwits play it and watch it’.
  • ‘Rugby league, the sport invented by idiots, for morons’.
  • ‘Glorified pass the parcel’.
  • ‘How does that sport call itself national, it should be called the North East Corner Rugby League’.
  • Regular references to crowd sizes.
  • Regular references to players beating their partners.
  • Regular references to it not being safe to play because of the big Polynesian kids.
My personal favourite:
‘Rugby league could be replaced by two opposing teams of cavemen, pushing a boulder from one end of a paddock to the other’.

Soccer
  • Call it just ‘soccer’, don’t bend to them trying to steal the word ‘football’ and even worse ‘Australian football’, its cultural theft.
  • Alternate name ‘sookball’.
  • Regular references to rolling around on the ground crying.
  • Regular references to it not being safe to attend soccer matches in this country.
  • Regular references to the quality of the A league.
  • Asking the question ‘Does the A league still exist’?
  • It’s an ‘Imported sport’.
  • It’s so boring that’s why the crowds start trouble.
  • Nil all draws after 90 minutes, what a waste of time.
  • Nobody in Australia cares, see you in another 4 years.
Feel free to screen shot this for your next run in with a leaguie or sookball fan that's frothing at the mouth when the AFL is mentioned and are trying to intimidate you.

It's not their fault their local media have brainwashed them, they see Australian football as a threat, so are making their best attempts to sh*t on our sport and indirectly Australian culture (and I’m not even Australian background myself by the way and use to play soccer for 7 years at a decent level). It’s pathetic really, but good to have some ammunition to put them back in their place as it's wearing pretty thin.

AFL is a shit mans game. We are all just deluded fools for being so loyal to our clubs which the AFL bank on.

AFL is a corrupt organisation, the rich clubs support the poor clubs, the draft is not even or fair you only have to look at the history of compensation picks, the fixture is called a fixture for a reason, ask any supporters what they think about it. Brisbane never play West Coast in Perth, Port Adelaide get a home game against Richmond nearly every year for a decade. just a few examples.
Bad umpiring is just swept under the carpet, and you're not allowed to comment or criticise for fear of retribution.

The game is actually shit, rules changes nearly every season that have no impact of what they originally tried to achieve.

I could go on and on.

Who cares?

Impressionable kids, people that want Australia to have and celebrate it's own culture, people that care about the sport being successful. Why don't you care, do you only follow your club and not the sport?

AFL is a s**t mans game. We are all just deluded fools for being so loyal to our clubs which the AFL bank on.

AFL is a corrupt organisation, the rich clubs support the poor clubs, the draft is not even or fair you only have to look at the history of compensation picks, the fixture is called a fixture for a reason, ask any supporters what they think about it. Brisbane never play West Coast in Perth, Port Adelaide get a home game against Richmond nearly every year for a decade. just a few examples.
Bad umpiring is just swept under the carpet, and you're not allowed to comment or criticise for fear of retribution.

The game is actually s**t, rules changes nearly every season that have no impact of what they originally tried to achieve.

I could go on and on.
Take a bow Coach! Funny stuff.

Is it possible to like all the sports and not care about what a couple of dumbarses say?

Of course, I like a heap of sports myself, just feel it has an obvious negative influence on our sport and is disrespectful to our favourite code and culture. I wanna see the game prosper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something I have noticed on social media of late, is the increased AFL bashing and running down of the game by a) The Sydney centric media, which unfortunately distributes the national news too and b) The resulting rugby league and soccer fans hatred for our game, displayed online (Facebook, Twitter, comments sections etc) by constantly sh*tting on our sport and lambasting anyone that likes it (imagine being a young kid in Sydney saying you like AFL in front of these idiots, you’d basically get bullied relentlessly till you give it up).

Anyhow, previously I just turned the other cheek, but recently I have been looking into it more and have realised it is really damaging to the brand of Australian football, the growth of the game and it detracts from attracting new fans, particularly in nsw & qld (which is their obvious intention). The problem is, the brainwashing, bullying and negativity is working and AFL fans tend to sit passive and unfortunately don't defend our game.

Anyhow, here are some common criticisms of Australian Football (AFL) you will run into online, or in person and ways to point out how dumb they are:

You get a point for missing –
You get a point for getting in the scoring area, but not the main target, no different to other sports where you have to hit a target to score, like archery, darts, shooting, tenpin bowling etc.

Soccer is the world game – It kind of helps that it was invented by the British Empire, who ruled the world at the time and spread it globally, like all their invented sports. Get a history lesson.

If AFL is so good, how come it’s not international – Because Australia had a population of < 5million when these sports were spreading and next to zero pull on the world stage, people didn’t even know the country existed, yet you expect them to spread their sport international... really?

Looking forward to the AFL world cup – The AFL do have a world cup, its not professional though. They could run a world cup like RL does by grabbing Polynesian expats out of western Sydney to fill most of the teams, but that would be embarrassing.

They wear short shorts – Same length of the shorts NRL players wear actually.

Fumbles – It’s pretty easy not to fumble when you have a rubber ball thrown to you underarm, from a meter away, under zero pressure, even a toddler could catch that.

It's only played in Victoria. Over 80 players in the AFL are from NSW & QLD and there are nearly as many club participants for Australian football in NSW & QLD, as rugby league. A higher percentage of teams in the AFL come from outside Victoria (45%), than the percentage of teams in the NRL that come from outside NSW (38%). Also, haven’t the storm only had one player from Victoria in 25 yrs? Lol. The game of RL is virtually non-existent outside of 2 states in Australia, it’s embarrassing.

Aerial pingpong – Yeah the ball moves more than 2 metres at a time and in the forward direction, its hard to keep up with for halfwits, I know.

It's not Australian, it's Victorian – Last time I checked Victoria is in Australia, does that mean vegemite is not Australian too?

It's only played in Australia, domestic sport - yeah same as the biggest sport in the U.S, called the NFL.

Soccer has the most participants - All non-contact sports have higher participation rates, they are safer and easier to play and soccer only requires one round ball to play, anybody can play it, even a 2 year old (see Dana White comments).

What about tv rights, sponsorship, attendance, membership, revenue? (all at least double, some 10x that of Australian soccer). Also fun fact, the AFL makes more money per year than the NRL, Australian Soccer and Rugby Australian combined, its basically a no contest for popularity, in every key metric possible.

If you wanna go the proactive route yourself, some funny digs I've seen online and terms that get under the skin of these numpties:

Rugby league:

• Call it just ‘rugby’
  • Alternate name ‘throwball’
  • Bum sniffers
  • Mungo’s
  • 'It’s an imported pommie sport, that isn’t even popular in the country that invented it, that tells you something’.
  • ‘The least skilful sport on the planet, throwing an underarm pass 2m sideways and running in a straight line with the ball under your arm, wow’.
  • ‘The most repetitive sport in the world’.
  • 'The most difficult thing in the sport is being able to run 5 metres in a straight line'.
  • ‘It’s so basic, that’s why only halfwits play it and watch it’.
  • ‘Rugby league, the sport invented by idiots, for morons’.
  • ‘Glorified pass the parcel’.
  • ‘How does that sport call itself national, it should be called the North East Corner Rugby League’.
  • Regular references to crowd sizes.
  • Regular references to players beating their partners.
  • Regular references to it not being safe to play because of the big Polynesian kids.
My personal favourite:
‘Rugby league could be replaced by two opposing teams of cavemen, pushing a boulder from one end of a paddock to the other’.

Soccer
  • Call it just ‘soccer’, don’t bend to them trying to steal the word ‘football’ and even worse ‘Australian football’, its cultural theft.
  • Alternate name ‘sookball’.
  • Regular references to rolling around on the ground crying.
  • Regular references to it not being safe to attend soccer matches in this country.
  • Regular references to the quality of the A league.
  • Asking the question ‘Does the A league still exist’?
  • It’s an ‘Imported sport’.
  • It’s so boring that’s why the crowds start trouble.
  • Nil all draws after 90 minutes, what a waste of time.
  • Nobody in Australia cares, see you in another 4 years.
Feel free to screen shot this for your next run in with a leaguie or sookball fan that's frothing at the mouth when the AFL is mentioned and are trying to intimidate you.

It's not their fault their local media have brainwashed them, they see Australian football as a threat, so are making their best attempts to sh*t on our sport and indirectly Australian culture (and I’m not even Australian background myself by the way and use to play soccer for 7 years at a decent level). It’s pathetic really, but good to have some ammunition to put them back in their place as it's wearing pretty thin.
Great points and I like Association Football but soccer met it's match with Australian Rules Football,THe World's greatest code,envied by the Northern media.
LOOOVE NFL too,a tremendous sport.

#goyoumightyTigersandSteelers

Of course, I like a heap of sports myself, just feel it has an obvious negative influence on our sport and is disrespectful to our favourite code and culture. I wanna see the game prosper.
AFL doesn't have many rules, everything relies on umpires guesswork. This is why it will never be taken seriously in its current form.

because you make stupid personal assumptions like
I don't fear soccer at all.
In fact ..
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well.
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well. despite other sports doing well.
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well. and continues to expand and grow.
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well. despite your pathetic attempts at trolling.

This is a forum where people respond.

That's a complete joke.

Again, you make these ridiculous statements so i respond.
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well.
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well. despite other sports doing well.
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well. and continues to expand and grow.
I am in fact very secure in the knowledge that Australian Football is doing extremely well. despite your pathetic attempts at trolling.

and finally every time you make a claim make sure you can back that claim with a link

RedV3x won't be happy about this, you quoting him in another thread.

For what it's worth he makes some good points about trolls getting around on Australian football forums.

because you make stupid personal assumptions like

Another pathetic trolling attempt by taking a statement out of context.
Kwality knows very well that this was directed at the person making ridiculous "personal assumptions".
My reply was not a personal assumptions but simply a statement of fact.

I don't fear soccer at all.
In fact ..

What is their to fear - a professional football league that is overshadowed by the AFLW?
This is not an assumption but rather an observed fact. By all K.P.I.s the AFL is doing well.

I have posted many times by belief that sports attract their own followers and generally create their own destiny.
The AFL have created their own destiny with good results and still growing.

Yes, AFL is doing well. it's growing and expanding with plenty of potential.

This is a forum where people respond.

To expect not is idiotic.

That's a complete joke.

As is this kwality's attempt.

Thanks Kwality for posting this again.

and finally every time you make a claim make sure you can back that claim with a link

Soccer in Australia thinking they are the biggest sport in the country, is the equivalent of let's say... Guzman and Gomez, thinking they are bigger than McDonald's.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

A Dummies Guide - Dealing with Anti AFL bullies and Trolls

Remove this Banner Ad

Back