A-League Round 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Kewell is a joke. He needs a tap on the shoulder. Or a sledgehammer if he can't take a hint.

Sure he's a cheap signing. But why is he captain? Why is he taking penalties?

The A-League does not need players of the ilk of Kewell. He was great for Leeds and Australia, but that was a long time ago and by continuing to play, he adds a needless couple of sad chapters to his career.

Kewell is a joke. He needs a tap on the shoulder. Or a sledgehammer if he can't take a hint.

Sure he's a cheap signing. But why is he captain? Why is he taking penalties?

The A-League does not need players of the ilk of Kewell. He was great for Leeds and Australia, but that was a long time ago and by continuing to play, he adds a needless couple of sad chapters to his career.

Kewell made one, ONE bad mistake that game.

The penalty was woeful, woeful, but every player has one of them in his career.

It's no coincidence that whenever Kewell has been able to get out onto the park this year we're a different team, he's still got that class touch, even if he's injury prone.

Should he be captain? probably not, was a quick decision to garner attention, but if you don't notice that he's leading the team when he's playing you're not watching.

Wtf happened to CCM? They are useless. Can't finish, lazy defence, shocking skills.
I'm a CCM member - signed up this year when my wife and I moved to Central Coast. Don't have Foxtel so haven't seen all our games but from what I have seen at home games, we have a number of issues.

• The most uttered phrase at Bluetongue stadium - "He's no Matty Ryan". Eventually something has to give when you are a relatively successful small club. Get raided each year and this year we just didn't have the players ready to replace those that left. This is the lot of the Mariners and I'm not complaining. I'm a realist and know that players leave. We'll be OK in a year or two.
  • This year the club actually handled the above pretty badly. It's understandable that we just don't have the young players ready to go but we seemed to leave ourselves with a very lopsided squad. We have a bunch of strikers who all seem to be target men - and none of them particular good. We have some weaknesses in the squad and more depth in those positions would be good.
  • Hate to say it but we are really badly coached. This is a common problem in the A League and I guess we were fortunate to have a coach who was very good at parts of his job. However, I always felt that Arnold was a bit weak tactically and it hasn't helped that he has been replaced by someone with less experience - as a coach and as a player at clubs with different tactical setups. After we had a good comeback against the Jets (from memory) I read Arnold saying we had tried a 4-4-2 Diamond in training for 10 minutes so he gave it a go in the that game and it worked. To my horror, we then started with it the following week. In a league where almost everyone plays 4-3-3 you can only survive playing 4-4-2 if you are really good at it with a top notch number 9. We don't have one. We get outnumbered all over the pitch and teams press us knowing that our skills aren't great and due to our formation our only option will be to pump the ball long.
  • We sign up Marcos Flores who is a perfect number 10. Go to Wikipedia and it says he is an "ATTACKING MIDFIELDER!!!" ... and we play him as a striker - sometimes on his own. With a squad full of target men we play our only skilful player as a target man! Fitness was an issue for him but 60 minutes as a number 10 is better than 80 as a number 9.
  • Our forward structure needs to be built around Flores and Duke. Duke has been a bit up and down but overall he has been our best forward ... and now plays on the right of midfield in a 4-4-2. So, Flores at 10 and Duke either as the striker or as the right sided forwarded with any one of Simon, Sterjovski or McBreen in the middle. We are playing our two best attacking players out of position because they are ok in other roles but that just makes us weaker overall.
The Adelaide result was coming. They play the perfect style to take advantage of our weaknesses and looks like they got their shit together in the attacking third.

Having said all that, it would really help if our keepers didn't suck. Makes things really hard when they let in goals every week that Ryan would have kept out :(

I'm a CCM member - signed up this year when my wife and I moved to Central Coast. Don't have Foxtel so haven't seen all our games but from what I have seen at home games, we have a number of issues.

• The most uttered phrase at Bluetongue stadium - "He's no Matty Ryan". Eventually something has to give when you are a relatively successful small club. Get raided each year and this year we just didn't have the players ready to replace those that left. This is the lot of the Mariners and I'm not complaining. I'm a realist and know that players leave. We'll be OK in a year or two.
  • This year the club actually handled the above pretty badly. It's understandable that we just don't have the young players ready to go but we seemed to leave ourselves with a very lopsided squad. We have a bunch of strikers who all seem to be target men - and none of them particular good. We have some weaknesses in the squad and more depth in those positions would be good.
  • Hate to say it but we are really badly coached. This is a common problem in the A League and I guess we were fortunate to have a coach who was very good at parts of his job. However, I always felt that Arnold was a bit weak tactically and it hasn't helped that he has been replaced by someone with less experience - as a coach and as a player at clubs with different tactical setups. After we had a good comeback against the Jets (from memory) I read Arnold saying we had tried a 4-4-2 Diamond in training for 10 minutes so he gave it a go in the that game and it worked. To my horror, we then started with it the following week. In a league where almost everyone plays 4-3-3 you can only survive playing 4-4-2 if you are really good at it with a top notch number 9. We don't have one. We get outnumbered all over the pitch and teams press us knowing that our skills aren't great and due to our formation our only option will be to pump the ball long.
  • We sign up Marcos Flores who is a perfect number 10. Go to Wikipedia and it says he is an "ATTACKING MIDFIELDER!!!" ... and we play him as a striker - sometimes on his own. With a squad full of target men we play our only skilful player as a target man! Fitness was an issue for him but 60 minutes as a number 10 is better than 80 as a number 9.
  • Our forward structure needs to be built around Flores and Duke. Duke has been a bit up and down but overall he has been our best forward ... and now plays on the right of midfield in a 4-4-2. So, Flores at 10 and Duke either as the striker or as the right sided forwarded with any one of Simon, Sterjovski or McBreen in the middle. We are playing our two best attacking players out of position because they are ok in other roles but that just makes us weaker overall.
The Adelaide result was coming. They play the perfect style to take advantage of our weaknesses and looks like they got their shit together in the attacking third.

Having said all that, it would really help if our keepers didn't suck. Makes things really hard when they let in goals every week that Ryan would have kept out :(

Word is McGlincheys also set to follow Arnold to Japan, that's going to be a big loss for you guys.

One negative on Saturday, was some moronic AUFC who was clearly drunk where I was (Red Army). What happened was he threw 1/2 a cup of beer at part of the RA (around 10mins before out first goal), & when someone asked who threw it, I pointed to him with his back turned. The cops saw it, then decided to walk out, but not before spitting at me. He got arrested & kicked out. He was previously banned, but why on earth would someone attend a game extremely drunk?

Some fans are complete idiots.

Word is McGlincheys also set to follow Arnold to Japan, that's going to be a big loss for you guys.
Looks pretty certain now. It'll be a loss but I'm trying to stay positive - it could have been worse :)

I thought Arnold would probably try to take two players with him and we only have five who would be good enough for Japan - Sainsbury, Duke, McGlinchey, Roux and Flores. Of those only losing McGlinchey is about as good as we could have expected. Sainsbury would be a massive loss and Duke and Roux are the players with the most upside.

I wonder how Kwasnik's recovery is coming along ...

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League Round 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back