A little bit of hindsight

Remove this Banner Ad

OneEyedPie7

All Australian
Mar 21, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Collingwood
What now do people consider as our best lineup?

You presume kids such as toovey, dick, cox etc wouldn't have got a look in and you def wouldn't have thought Harry would become a leading defender.

You presume kids such as toovey, dick, cox etc wouldn't have got a look in and you def wouldn't have thought Harry would become a leading defender.
I thought Cox was pretty close to selection from round one this year saw him play a few games last year for Willie and his round one outing against Werribee in which he starred. Toovey i knew nothing about and i'm pleasantly surprised by what he can do finds the ball a fair bit but is a tad slow in releasing it and thats not based on a few harsh decisions paid up at the gabba. I rated Harry pretty highly since i first saw him i thought he had extremely talent and i love the way he has a crack and takes on his opponent when he has the ball. Dick's skills by foot were the first thing i noticed on the highlights package the pies website had up so i thought he wasn't far off but because of his lack of size was probably a year off playing but he's done fairly well and showed good signs.....in saying all this the three young guys i don't feel will make up our 22 come finals time with Bucks Lonie Bryan Licca Clement and Egan to come back in they'll find it tough to hold they're spots.

Our best line up still has to include Lica, Clement and Buckley. Their return may change the structure, as at the moment they are relying on a number of small forwards and a couple of mobile bigger guys and getting the ball in fast, fast, fast. You would think if Buckley came back he would spend time forward, although MM has really been willing to stick with decisions this year and it is slowly reaping benefits. This may mean a more methodical delivery although it isn't as if Bucks couldn't work in with the new structure. Otherwise maybe Buckley would be used as impact player off the bench (ala Hird), although that may also mess with the high mid field rotation rate as he is obviously not going to be able to run like say Thomas or Pendlebury. The coaching staff must have worked their arses off over pre season as rotations and match ups are looking pretty good most weeks (with the odd exception), now if only they can outfox Eade, and Lyons hasn't got too many tricks up his sleeve, we should be OK against most teams.If Rocca starts to kick straighter, that forward line will be something to behold. Those 3 youngsters still need a lot of time and Toovey in particular while looking good still needs time to realise the speed of the game.

Our best line up still has to include Lica, Clement and Buckley.

Don't agree. Has been a fine player for us, but his time is just about up IMO. He's treacle-slow and has scattergun disposal. Game's passed him by. No shame in that -- it's happened to better players than Lica.

I agree here. I don't believe Licca is in our best line up. I actually shudder to think MM is going to bring him in. Too slow. Can't kick. We have taken massive strides in our midfield by introducing blokes who know how to use the pill. To bring back a plodder like Licca who is a mrginally better kick than Presti, I feel is a backward step (IMO).

MM will bring Licca in when he sees fit, he will need some match fitness under his belt, but it won't be too long. I don't think he will get the chance to work his opponent into the ground and he's a bit slow to be an attacking midfielder. Play him across the half-back line, where he could release Heath Shaw into the midfield. He's not much of a goal sneak but I've seen him kick a few great goals.

On the other hand, Bucks can still play a pivotel role, whether he is used as an impact player is to be known. I think he can do some damage across the half-forward line because he's such a smart thinker that he will direct the traffic and setup a few goals himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back