Strategy A proper forward structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am so sick of our forward line. It has to change.

Dixon is too immobile to be anything other than a forward/ruck because his immobility prevents us playing another forward/ruck. And in that role the more mobile Lord is probably in front of him.

Finlayson isn't a ruckman arseh*le. Never will be when it matters.

You can get away with one soft finisher but not two. Marshall or Finlayson. Pick one.

You can't play all defensive small forwards.

Georgie is our FF now. Base the forward line around him.

What it should looke like.

Rioli Georgiades Lord
SPP Marshall Rozee

With Rioli out we should play one of our young goal kicking forwards. If they aren't up to it yet recruit a mature ager from the 2s that actually kicks goals as a stop gap. We should have done this in the MSD.

Georgie as the FF and primary target.

Lord as the bail out option, not plan A. If he isn't cutting it as a FP or ruck play Dixon or Scully, or play 2 rucks.

SPP as the pressure forward. As he is injured play DBJ, or rotate through til one actually does his job.

Marshall needs to get in the boxing ring.

Then play a mid as the high half forward. We have enough that are dangerous forward to have rozee play the Steve Johnson role.

In other words just play a normally structured forward line. Dixon being plan A and not allowing us to play a proper forward/ruck has stuffed up our structure too long.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Lack of structure last night was sooooo evident. It’s always been average under Hinkley. Nothing changes until Ken and Dixon are gone.

Dixon should of been retired last year, like Ken retires his dogs.

Lachie Jones needs to get out of the backline, give him the SPP role of just destroying people up forward.

Also keep Boak 60m+ out from goal at all times, he's good in the build up, not the finisher.

I haven't seen the replay so I can't talk about the game but I was worried about our forward line going into the game.

Dixon has been struggling big time all year.
Marshall has been down all year.
Georgiades has been down all year.
Byrne-Jones is having a decent year as the 5th forward.
McEntee is not very good.
Evans is not very good.
Our best forward, Rioli, is injured.

Georgiades kicked 4 so he had his first really good game this year but after that, trash.

Like a lot of our team, Rioli is made to make up for the trash of other players.
Last night showed that.

I'll write some more up when I watch the game.

Lachie Jones needs to get out of the backline, give him the SPP role of just destroying people up forward.

Also keep Boak 60m+ out from goal at all times, he's good in the build up, not the finisher.
Did you miss his attempted kick to Marshall inside 50 that went OOF?

Wasn't there a coaching convention years back where members got to ask the coaches themselves and they knew of the issues and were trying to rectify?

If they still can't figure it out, you know, maybe it's time to find a new coaching group that can?

Hard to fault your suggestions there. I think Rozee isn’t as good a forward as JHF, bur JHF will end up being a more important midfielder so could go with those two rotating mid and forward. The forward line you’ve suggested could end up being one of the best in the league and would probably push us to a flag in 3 years time. Hopefully the coaching is up to scratch by then as well.

Hard to fault your suggestions there. I think Rozee isn’t as good a forward as JHF, bur JHF will end up being a more important midfielder so could go with those two rotating mid and forward. The forward line you’ve suggested could end up being one of the best in the league and would probably push us to a flag in 3 years time. Hopefully the coaching is up to scratch by then as well.
🤣

Is it a bad shout? My feeling has been that the current forward situation (no plan going inside 50, Dixon existing, Chadbro coaching, etc.) is a major reason why we can’t win a flag. If all those things get fixed and the forwards get 3 more years of experience, and Ken isn’t coaching of course, is it a bad call to say we’d be closer to a flag than we are now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that Rozee spot could easily be rotated between different mids depending on match ups conditions etc.

Is it a bad shout? My feeling has been that the current forward situation (no plan going inside 50, Dixon existing, Chadbro coaching, etc.) is a major reason why we can’t win a flag. If all those things get fixed and the forwards get 3 more years of experience, and Ken isn’t coaching of course, is it a bad call to say we’d be closer to a flag than we are now.
It's abad shout if you think that we need to have the best forward line in the league to win a flag.

If you recognise that like Collingwood and Melbourne you dont need the best forward line to win a flag, just a competent and sensible one then it makes sense.

How good would it be to have players confident in taking a shot rather than trying to hit up a target that doesn't exist and turning the ball over instead of any kind of score?

Worth a look at, ET.

Marshall and Georgiades as tall forwards.
Georgy closer to home.
Marshall more on the half forward.
Lord or Scully as the other forward. Lord seems to have the inside run because he is a point of difference and can also 2nd ruck. I would be more bullish on Lord if he could kick straight like Scully.

Rioli, I'm a big fan of. Great, crumbing small forward.
Powell-Pepper is not a natural forward but is a good half forward.
Tommy A, we just need a guy who can kick a goal. He's skillful, fast and likes to kick a goal.

Byrne-Jones on the bench and next man up.

McEntee and Evans nowhere near it.
Dixon to palliative care.
If Lord is good to go, Finlayson becomes backup.
Finny is a good backup.

Hopefully we grab Benny Barrett late in the 2024 draft and see what he can bring to the team and forward line.

Rioli, Lord, Georgiades
Powell-Pepper, Marshall, Anastasopoulos

Last edited:
Dixon let loose during the CEO dinner that the forwards deliberately lead into the pockets and coached that way. Probably why our scoring accuracy is so poor.

No he didn't. He said they didn't lead at all and that was by design because (he said) defenders typically zone off the desired leading areas resulting in forwards leading to areas of the field that are hard to score from.

He added that when the ball is moved quickly through the midfield, the forwards have an easier time leading into advantageous positions within the forward 50.

Dixon let loose during the CEO dinner that the forwards deliberately lead into the pockets and coached that way. Probably why our scoring accuracy is so poor.
No, we miss plenty from decent angles. the xG metric takes into account WHERE the shots are taken from, and we're consistently well behind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy A proper forward structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back