A sad day over here in the West.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Shadforth

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran Hawthorn Hawks - Muston and Savage Player Sponsor 2010 Hawthorn Hawks - Smith and Savage 2011 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2009 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2008 Player Sponsor Hawthorn Hawks - Beau Muston 2007 Player Sponsor
Oct 15, 2003
Coolangatta Queensland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As an avid ABC listener, radio, and watcher, TV, I am in shock. Driving down St Georges Terrace, actually passing the ABC studios, here in Perth this afternoon, just before 4 pm local time, an announcement of Wally Foreman's death came over AM Radio 720. I have never heard an ABC presenter struggle to get through an announcement, the news about his colleague had hit him hard.

I have been in WA some 10 weeks now on my sojourn. Weeks back I tuned into Wally describing the AFL Grand Final at the local in Kununarra, just over the border from the NT. His co-commentators were Ken Judge, one of Hawthorn's favourite sons, and former Australian test captain Kim Hughes. It was a brilliant sportscast, of one of the great GFs. Now I can reflect how good it is that the Eagles won the flag, as it was to be Wal's last description of an AFL game, albeit his first and last grand final, he had been involved in AFL coverages for thirty years. Recently he spoke about how relieved he was that the AFL had finally, after weeks of deliberation, granted ABC Radio broadcasting rights for the next three years.

On Monday morning I heard him in his weekly visit to the morning presenter's booth to chat on the weekend sport, which was accompanied by his customary mirthful banter. Much was said about AFL goings on and the upcoming Ashes tour. He was full of life and there was mention on how he enjoyed his regular visits to the gym.

It was about the same time on Tuesday morning I heard he had been rushed to hospital from the gym, after having had a massive heart attack.

When I was driving away from downtown Perth this afternoon there wasn't the usual peak-hour rush, the traffic was so slow. I guess those travelling home from work were so shocked listening to the radio.

Vale Wally Foreman

wally_foreman.jpg

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20689894-2,00.html

ABC stalwart 'Sir Walter' dies
By Jim Kelly
news.com.au
November 02, 2006 07:25pm

ABC sports commentator Wally Foreman has died in Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital. The highly repsected sports figure had suffered a massive heart attack while working out at a gym.
Foreman, one of the ABC's most popular sporting voices, founded the WA Institute of Sport and was its director for 17 years before stepping aside in 2001.

At the ABC, he was affectionately known by many listeners as "Sir Walter'' .

Foreman was one of Australia's most experienced sports broadcasters, having worked in the sports media for more than 30 years.

He has attended four Olympic Games and five Commonwealth Games, covering a variety of sports including hockey, athletics, cycling, weightlifting and archery.

His commentary experience extends to Davis Cup and Australian Open tennis, international hockey tournaments, World Cup athletics, international cricket and AFL.

Foreman also wrote occasional columns for The Sunday Times on various sporting issues.

He is survived by wife Lyn Foreman and the couple's two sons.

I was fortunate to have worked with him briefly. His honesty and energy were infectious. He made many many friends. They will miss him. His family was an important part of his life. They will miss him the most. Thanks for your help and advice Wally.

Thanks for the post Gary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back