A semi-answer to what happens to Dream Team when GC enter the league

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO...

24 rounds.

20 weekends with 8 games. (160 games & 20 byes)
3 weekends with 7 games. (21 games & 9 byes)
1 week with 6 games. (6 games & 5 byes)

Thats 187 games (17 teams x 22 games each) and 34 byes (17 teams x 2 byes).

Basically we are screwed with the 7 or 6 game weekends.

Another option is...
23 rounds of with 8 games (184 games & 23 byes)
1 round of 3 games (3 games & 11 byes)

This works for us. Simply exclude the 1 round with only 3 games completely, this is a little unfair because it means that those 6 teams would have 1 bye during the actual competition but it works from the perspective of having less weeks that have the potential for missing players.

No matter how they structure it up strategy will be key next year, teams like Geelong could well have 2 byes in a 3-4 week period. Very interesting to see how it plays out.

Adrian Anderson already mentioned that the likely structure would be 23 weeks of 8 games (one bye team) and 1 week of 3 games (11 bye teams). My guess would be that the 3 game round would be midyear.

I think the best solution would be just to add an extra bench position and slightly higher salary cap. A few more DP's would also help. The 3 game round would be a non-DT week.

You are right that it will be simple. However it is hard to find an easy solution to such a complex problem. AFL is already calling on mathematicians just to get the draw right...so it is highly complicated.

I think VS will have to develop a unique trading system for players who have a bye.

This might be complex on the surface...but as long as when you click on a player to trade, it gives you very clear and precise information on th go. For every button you push, a pop-up screen should appear with all the information you require. Here is my solution.

Step 1: When you go to your team on the Monday....all players who have a bye that week should be brightly highlighted in a yellow or orange colour.

Step 2: Instead of a trading icon, the player has a 'substitute' icon only.

Step 3: When you click the substitute button a pop-up screen appears. It says:
" This player has a bye this week. For this round, you have the option of substituting him for another player. You have $$$ available. At the conclusion of this round, the trade will reverse and this player will again appear in your side and the cash refunded to you.

Step 4: You can make unlimited substitutes for how many players in your side has a bye. But you are restricted to how much cash you have in the bank. It it incentive to keep cash in your bank...which might force people to get less keepers at the beginning.

Step 5: This does not affect your 20 trades. This still works as normal.

if people chose to ignore the pop-up information, then that's their bad luck.

You are right that it will be simple. However it is hard to find an easy solution to such a complex problem. AFL is already calling on mathematicians just to get the draw right...so it is highly complicated.

I think VS will have to develop a unique trading system for players who have a bye.

This might be complex on the surface...but as long as when you click on a player to trade, it gives you very clear and precise information on th go. For every button you push, a pop-up screen should appear with all the information you require. Here is my solution.

Step 1: When you go to your team on the Monday....all players who have a bye that week should be brightly highlighted in a yellow or orange colour.

Step 2: Instead of a trading icon, the player has a 'substitute' icon only.

Step 3: When you click the substitute button a pop-up screen appears. It says:
" This player has a bye this week. For this round, you have the option of substituting him for another player. You have $$$ available. At the conclusion of this round, the trade will reverse and this player will again appear in your side and the cash refunded to you.

Step 4: You can make unlimited substitutes for how many players in your side has a bye. But you are restricted to how much cash you have in the bank. It it incentive to keep cash in your bank...which might force people to get less keepers at the beginning.

Step 5: This does not affect your 20 trades. This still works as normal.

if people chose to ignore the pop-up information, then that's their bad luck.

Somehow I'm thinking that's the best way to do it now. It will be always handy to have money in the bank too now. Say a rookie has a bye. You use the the amount of cash in our bank to turn him into a Ablett for the week at the price of nothing

Somehow I'm thinking that's the best way to do it now. It will be always handy to have money in the bank too now. Say a rookie has a bye. You use the the amount of cash in our bank to turn him into a Ablett for the week at the price of nothing

yer it would be a good strategy. You leave 150K in your bank every round so that you can upgrade a rookie to the best available player for that round. Keeps teams mixed up, keeps the game moving.

Of course you still get your 20 trades as well, so you have to be careful not to blow your money on trades. I think it also brings into the play the mid-priced players because they have money on their heads, so when they have a bye you can easily upgrade them to a star for that round.

The idea is sound Dave but I think it'll still confuse the masses and be open to manipulation. Most people spend 5-10 mins on their team on Thurs / Fri night and that's it. They'll get confused subbing players in and out consistently.

Then it'll be the situation of taking out say X player this week with a bye and bringing in Stanton against the Tigers who could be on for 150+.

Also, VS is not a big company so the changes to their program would need to be pretty basic I would imagine.

You're right though, definitely not an easy problem and if the 3 game round is a goer easiest solution may be just to chop it completely, which means only 21 games max if you had a player in one of those teams. I'd hate to see 30 trades, much rather see an extra bench player in each position.

The word taxi gets thrown bandied around a lot doesn't it?

2910311604_e386c17094.jpg

Maybe it should be?

I think they'll come up with the simplest solution.

How many of you guys play NRL DT? I think you'll find a lot of answers there. It's run by VS. This week there's 6 teams having byes, and State of Origin players are all out too. And it happens to be the first week of Eliminator.

If NRL DTers can manage byes and Origin with 30 trades and 3 players on the bench, I'm sure AFL DTers can too.

Remove this Banner Ad

A semi-answer to what happens to Dream Team when GC enter the league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back