A.Shattock

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2000
Melbourne, Vic.
What does everyone reckon of this bloke?

I reckon he's doing alright at this stage.

Last season, I didn't rate him too highly, and I wondered why Matthews was prepared to give him as much of a go as he did. He seemed to be too small, and not confident enough to have a go at the footy, or his opponent. Similarly, his skills were a bit rough.

This season however, I reckon he's beaten his opponent on most occasions. He's definitely hit the weights in the off-season, he's playing with confidence, and is prepared to have a go at the footy, as well as his opponent. He seems to be of the mind-set, that he can take it up to his opponents, and shut them down, rather than just try his best, and hope it works out.

I reckon he deserves his spot in the side at the moment. Perhaps his skills with the ball could still use a bit of work, but I reckon he's developing into a really good tagger. He seems committed, and also fits in pretty well, in that back pocket.

He's not flashy, but perhaps that's a good thing when you're playing down back. What he lacks in dynamics, he certainly makes up for in his willingness to put his body on the line (well, at this stage anyway - he has shown he will put his body into the contest, etc.).

I reckon he should be left in the side until form (if he gets beaten a couple of times, and loses confidence), or injury prove otherwise.

With that said though, I guess he is keeping Johnson out of the squad, in that position. I'd love to see Johnson there (hey, the guy's my favourite player, pretty much), but I reckon Shattock also deserves a run.

What does everyone else reckon?

[This message has been edited by Olmy (edited 10 April 2001).]

No comment.

I received a flaming via email the other day for bagging A.S. (I can't for the life of me remember what I said about the subject of this thread to elicit such e-unpleasantries, btw.
confused.gif
)

Anyway, good luck to the boy.

P.S. Does an email flaming count as an infamous online sad cracking?
mecry.gif

------------------
Olmy knows best

[This message has been edited by Mr Ripper (edited 10 April 2001).]

THE BRISBANE C/S MEMBERS THAT R ON BIGFOOTY WOULD HAVE TO HAVE KNOWN THAT I WOULD HAVE TO POST A REPLY TO THIS TOPIC. WELL HERE IT IS

SHATTSY IS A CHAMPION {IN MY EYES} BUT I AM ALSO KNOWN FOR NOT REALLY WATCHING PLAYERS FOR THEIR PLAYING ABLILTY, MORE FOR THEIR LOOKS. I WOULD HAVE TO SAY THAT A FEW OF THE C/S WOULD HANG SHIT ON SHATTSY WHILE I AM IN HEARING DISTANCE AND I WOULD TOTALLY STICK UP FOR THE BOY. I HAVE ACTUALLY WATCHED THE WAY SHATTSY PLAYES SINCE I THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING AND HE DOES SOME SILLY THINGS WHEN IT COMES TO STICKING TO HIS MAN BUT PUTS HIS VERY GOOD LOOKING BODY ON THE LINE FOR THE TEAM, WHEN IT COUNTS.

------------------
Signing off with GO THE MIGHTY LIONS IN 2001

Originally posted by Mr Ripper:
No comment.

I received a flaming via email the other day for bagging A.S. (I can't for the life of me remember what I said about the subject of this thread to elicit such e-unpleasantries, btw.
confused.gif
)

Anyway, good luck to the boy.

P.S. Does an email flaming count as an infamous online sad cracking?
mecry.gif

That wasn't Mavermoso, was it? Hahahah!!!!

HEY Lukester....
fancy seeing you posting in this topic...
hehehehe....
you are surposed to be watching the footy not there bods...
and i'm telling clarke on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BIG TIME !!!!!!!!!

Go the young Guys... hehehehehehehe

p.s. guess who got a lift home again???

Hope you are having FUN...
Happy Easter.... XXXXXXXXX

Matthews seems to be a big wrap for Shattock, and he does seem to apply himself pretty well. He seems to be going OK. He'll probably suffer some sort of form drop as the season wears on (being inexperienced), but until that happens, I think he should stay in the team for sure.

Many of these younger Lions players really need to beef up to be physically equipped to deal with the finals crunch stuff.
Interesting discussion with Walls and Schwab about Johnny Barker and how he had built up his physique to now be able to lead and hold front spot. They reckon that it's taken him 5 years - I can remember his first game in 1994 - and I reckon that the likes of Notting, Picken etc needs to do.

Originally posted by OldLion:
Many of these younger Lions players really need to beef up to be physically equipped to deal with the finals crunch stuff.
Interesting discussion with Walls and Schwab about Johnny Barker and how he had built up his physique to now be able to lead and hold front spot. They reckon that it's taken him 5 years - I can remember his first game in 1994 - and I reckon that the likes of Notting, Picken etc needs to do.

Barker is a champion. I love that bloke.

Well, maybe the term champion is being used a bit liberally here, but I seriously think that a lot of people do not, and have not seen just how good a footballer J.Barker is.

A lot of people rate him as a VFL perfomer, with a bit of luck. I reckon he'll be around in the seniors for ages.

I rate him higher than Dixon and Thompson. He is definitely more versatile, and also more consistent.

I hope he kills 'em. (Just not us - although, he always does . . .).

hi go the young guys

i knew someone would see my posting well as u know that is the main reasoning 4 me venturing to the gabba and coorparoo week in week out, at least i am willing to admit my reasoning. iam not sure that clarkey would b that suprised about it, by the way blackychick_20 talked to theman himslf about the letter, i was impressed with what i heard

------------------
Signing off with GO THE MIGHTY LIONS IN 2001

I like anyone who goes straight at the ball as Shattock does. Matthews was one of the hardest players of any era and I don't think he would show faith in a young player if he didn't have abit of go in him.

I hope he develops into a rock solid backman because that seems to be his calling.

Tassie Steve

He needs time to develop to his full potential.At the moment he has raw talent.Watching him last week in the reserves showed that.Poor decision making, skill errors galore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What i find kind of wierd is that at the moment there a few players in this side who still are not performing up to "par", and still seem to remain on the ground, and while some granted may make silly errors, are dragged more quickly. not to doubt leigh's intentions, it's just that perhaps some players that are bitting on the ankles for selection (namely botlon and shattock) should be in the side.
lionsrock 2001

Originally posted by anna
He needs time to develop to his full potential.At the moment he has raw talent.Watching him last week in the reserves showed that.Poor decision making, skill errors galore.

Yeah, he turns the ball over when under pressure. I guess that's the benefits of experience - knowing when and where to kick it.

I like his approach though. He seems committed to becoming a good, discipline player. He's goes straight at it. From what I've heard, he is pretty committed on the training side of things too.

Remove this Banner Ad

A.Shattock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back