A supporter's representative group?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 22, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
There's a Swans supporters' lobby group, called Swans Supporters Inc. They exist on the premise that they are there to represent the interests of fans. I'm not a member, I don't trust them... because their primary objective is to get their own members onto the Swans board, any way they can.

But I'm thinking, why can't this work as a pan-AFL movement? Use it to make sure the AFL is accountable with broadcast deals, ticketing, pricing at venues etc. I think if it got 10,000 footy fans as members, it'd work very well. The AFL wouldn't want to mess with it... because upsetting the members of it could severely dint their profit margins.

Would you join such a group? As long as it didn't have any pretensions of grabbing power, like SSI, I think I would.

Originally posted by CharlieG

Would you join such a group?

Join it ?? I'd want to be President, it's a bloody great idea !!

Those television rights would be put under the microscope real quick so that the northern states & rural areas would get a better coverage like the old Channel Seven days. Ticket prices etc would be next on the agenda after the tv stuff was fixed.

Let's get this thing started !!

I would be a great idea, but it musn't become into some sort of Power Control board, which is nearly inevitable after some period of time.

fantastic idea.. it'd have to have pretty well defined boundaries, to stop it from turning to the dark side.

I'd be thinking TV rights, ticketing, AFL membership and associated pricing such as food at games would be the main thrust of the targets.

TV rights... Simple. Football must come before any "regular" programming. Olympics? Fine... it can take precedence over games that overlap. Same with stuff like Rugby Test matches and things like the Bali Appeal. But don't start showing replays of Friends when you can show footy! Anywhere! Footy mustn't be bumped back to midnight or something like that for rugby league... that I reckon could be made sure of.

In the case of one of those special events, which can really only be shown live and would have a much greater rating.... Foxtel show that game. Live. Without exceptions.

Ticketing... Keep it reasonable. I don't really know how much is a decent price for tickets... but some general admission at the SCG is close to $100!!!! That's ridiculous. No wonder families are deserting the game.

AFL membership.... HEX ON CORPORATES! Turn it into an affordable alternative for football lovers. In another thread I suggested it should be a set price for 15 games... I think I said $160, which would be approximately in line with club memberships for value. Members could then buy extra matches for a low cost, say $6, which would then bring it in line with the $250 cost for 30 matches it is now. It doesn't matter whether you 16 games or 60, you can go. If you scrap the "Club Support" package, and let the profits go equally to all 16 clubs, then people are still likely to buy club memberships.

Food pricing... $4.00 for a bucket of chips is crazy. Come on AFL... you know this. You'd make more money easily if you turned the contracts over to real fast food places.... such as KFC and McDonalds. Sure, it might still be plastic.... but at least they have a brand name to protect and set prices that people know. Less likelyhood of getting ripped off. I remember that there was a Pizza Hut at Waverley... it was the most popular place there.

In general, I think it would be good to ensure that the game is still owned by the general supporter.

I like the idea a lot, particularly where price structure is concerned. I have a few issues with how admission is treated towards club members.

I bought a Home 11 membership with Essendon this year. I didn't get an 18 (11/7) because I wasn't sure I'd be able to see that many games, but there are two or three away games I was thinking of attending this year.

I'm dissappointed that my membership doesn't get me any kind of benefit or discount towards away game tickets. I don't mind paying for them, because I didn't pay for them initially, but I don't see why I should have to pay the same as non-members.

I'm also dissappointed that I have to pay extra for booking seats in advance, despite having bought the membership. The whole reason why I bought the membership in the first place was free admission.

And I'm disappointed that I can only get the 11 designated home games in a package. I would have liked an option where I could get a 10-12 game package and I could choose which 10-12 games I wanted to see.

So it would have been nice to have a few more options. I think some people are probably reluctant to buy memberships because of these factors, and they might be willing to shell out the money in the future if they were given more choice of what they wanted.

Originally posted by robbieando
Charlie why don't we ask HIM :D :D

Its a great idea, a way for fans to get their views across. I would think a fan from each club would be needed to make it work.

Not each club.

Each state and territory. Plus probably an extra one for rural areas... That's more representative I think. Elected council perhaps?

And Robbie, don't you ever suggest HIM again!!! This is a simple lobby group, not a political party!!! ;) Took me a minute, but when I worked out who you were talking about I almost gagged.

See ya at the footy.

Originally posted by CharlieG

Food pricing... $4.00 for a bucket of chips is crazy. Come on AFL... you know this. You'd make more money easily if you turned the contracts over to real fast food places.... such as KFC and McDonalds. Sure, it might still be plastic.... but at least they have a brand name to protect and set prices that people know. Less likelyhood of getting ripped off. I remember that there was a Pizza Hut at Waverley... it was the most popular place there.

This is an issue where we would need some sort of supproters association to organise action, i.e have a day (or 2) where everyone campaigns all footy fans to bring their own food and drink to the footy. Given i've never met anyone who doesn't think that food and drink prices aren't a joke, i'd reckon you'd send revenues tumbling 90% if such action was well organised. And you'd only need a couple of days like that before the caterers get the idea pretty quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we make this a sticky?

I don't know if I'd be comfortable leading such a group - but I'll happily go beserk on the Media, PR & Communication side of things ;)

Probably locate HQ in Victoria and have branches in WA, SA, QLD & NSW. Certainly, it has huge poential - which current group has the interests of the fans at heart? The ACCC? We are bereft of a voice.

Great Idea.

I've always thought almost everyone that has posted above had NO-IDEA how the business of footy worked and now I can see the stupid like to stick together...Yep..CharlieG is a child, who would have thought:rolleyes: ...there are still a few more of the mentally bankrupt but I think we have the cream here...good luck in waving your flags and pushing your separate wheelbarrows in the one direction...at least this will keep your collective mouths shut more and let the humans get on with the footy.

Originally posted by Tio_Ray
Yep..CharlieG is a child, who would have thought:rolleyes:

I'm with you Tio_Ray - we should stop the youth of the world having ideas ...... any ideas. We should go further and stop them going to school ........ otherwise they'll learn to think for themselves and get other silly ideas into their heads, and we can't have that goddam it ;)

Sounds like a good idea and you'll probably be surprised how many people will join up. There was a group a few years ago in the ACT called the "Save Friday Night Football Group" (I kid you not) which lobbied non-stop for Prime TV (Channel 7 ) to show Friday matches in prime time and they succeeded. It was a well constructed group of people with clearly defined goals.

I'd be more than happy to come in too.

Originally posted by jont2020
I'm with you Tio_Ray - we should stop the youth of the world having ideas ...... any ideas. We should go further and stop them going to school

Hey...don't blame me for him being kicked out of school...that’s more your fault as you are at least on his side....and you are obviously at fault for the 99% of crap posts he posts here because I can invent crap better than you...you jont2020 deserve to be in CharlieG's possie...I hope one day you can entertain me on the street with the rap dancing you learn and I can have the honour of throwing you a dollar..Charlie gets 15 cents more than you because he recons he deserves it?.

In theory I think it is a good idea. In practicality I can't see how it would work. With the massive cross-section of geographical placement of supporters, socio-economic situations of supporters, and the wide and far reaching issues that come with each of the above, I just can't see how a 'supporter group' could cover it all, and be taken seriously.

Originally posted by Tio_Ray
I've always thought almost everyone that has posted above had NO-IDEA how the business of footy worked and now I can see the stupid like to stick together...Yep..CharlieG is a child, who would have thought:rolleyes: ...there are still a few more of the mentally bankrupt but I think we have the cream here...good luck in waving your flags and pushing your separate wheelbarrows in the one direction...at least this will keep your collective mouths shut more and let the humans get on with the footy.

Uh huh.... hmm.

Bitter about getting your black and white backside kicked all over that other thread?

Grow up.

Out of interest how old are you Charlie? Not insulting you just wondering...after all "teenager" could be anything between 13-19

Originally posted by Hawkers_here
Out of interest how old are you Charlie? Not insulting you just wondering...after all "teenager" could be anything between 13-19

Well I'm insulting Charlie and I want to know too...How old is this little boy?

Remove this Banner Ad

A supporter's representative group?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back