Retired Aaron Davey

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno what to make of Davey now. He's given us terrific service so I'm loathe to tear into him but to me, at least this season, his heart just doesn't seem into it. The desperation and his speed that he burst onto the scene and built his reputation on are missing and he can't break a tag and I cringe when he gets the ball for kick-outs as he tries to bite off too much with low percentage bullet passes that too often miss the target. He'd be good returned to the forwardline if he can find his desperation again and he's been a good leader -off field at the very least - for the other indigenous players so hopefully the end hasn't come for him.

One eyed supporter is.. one eyed.

He used to be, now he is pathetic, seriously, if you think he is one of our best or that Davey will ever return to the level he once could play at you need your head read.

Get a grip on reality.

Theres no denying he's suffering a big form slump, and he has had a poor year all round. He has lost more than a yard of pace in the last 2 years and pace was his biggest weapon.

I still think he's a valuable player. He needs to be given a half forward/small forward role where he can use his defensive pressure, hit-up forwards on the lead with his elite footskills, and kick a few goals. Its the exact area of the ground we need a boost.

He simply isnt the type of defensive, bullocking player that a poor side needs - expecting that of him is short sighted.

Flash & Mick

I apologise if this has been raised in a previous thread but I was just on my way home from work and on the Cornsey and Rowey Sports Show on 5AA Radio, Cornsey was interviewing Malthouse and he said that he is currently mentoring Davey. He meets with him once a week and discusses various points of his game and together they set goals for the following week. I thought this was interesting. I hope Mick can have some influence and get Aaron mentally back on track at his best.

Re: Flash & Mick

Heard about this earlier, during Grime's media conference he admitted it was the first he'd heard of it too. Reckon Davey sought out Malthouse and they just didn't bother saying anything until now. Good initiative if so, should help our culture to have players going out of their way to improve.

Neeld would get Micks help if he ever wanted it.

might get Mick giving a talk to the players some time during the season.

(Might be before the Queens birthday game.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard a few rumours recently (before this came to light).

Apparently there is some sort of plan to Have Mick come into the MFC somewhere down the track. The things I've heard are about him coming in as a coach, but I don't think that'll happen. If anything, I'd think he may come in to take over Craigs job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down Neil Craig whatsoever, just bringing something to light that I've heard from a few people back in melbourne - one of which has dealings with the club quite regularly.

It would seem Mick may be taking a wait and see approach to the MFC. Seeing how they go under Neeld for a season, then potentially coming in as an advisor or coach of some sort. As I said - I think an advisory type role would be more like it.

I've heard a few rumours recently (before this came to light).

Apparently there is some sort of plan to Have Mick come into the MFC somewhere down the track. The things I've heard are about him coming in as a coach, but I don't think that'll happen. If anything, I'd think he may come in to take over Craigs job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down Neil Craig whatsoever, just bringing something to light that I've heard from a few people back in melbourne - one of which has dealings with the club quite regularly.

It would seem Mick may be taking a wait and see approach to the MFC. Seeing how they go under Neeld for a season, then potentially coming in as an advisor or coach of some sort. As I said - I think an advisory type role would be more like it.

If this is serous then it would also be good to sit back and have an un-bias opinion on things through the media for a year ect

from what I've heard, That's why he's been so critical.

As It stands, I have no Idea if what I've been told is true or not, but it's now out there.

Would be nice if he came to us without us losing craigy.

Isn't Mick unable to be at another AFL club this year due to T&Cs in his Collingwood contract. It could be the source of such rumours with the Neeld link. Would be great for us to have Mick in any capacity though and I am already pleased he is in contact with Neeld on a seemingly regular basis.

Isn't Mick unable to be at another AFL club this year due to T&Cs in his Collingwood contract. It could be the source of such rumours with the Neeld link. Would be great for us to have Mick in any capacity though and I am already pleased he is in contact with Neeld on a seemingly regular basis.

He's free to do what he likes next year. Mentoring individual athletes also wouldn't clash with his contractual agreements.

Yeah so he can't be in an official role this year. Just saying it is easy to join dots in speculating that Mick will be at Melbourne next year.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/beleaguered-watts-taps-in-with-malthouse-20120524-1z7vo.html

Looks lke Watts is spending a bit of time with Malthouse too, hope he has more luck than Davey. Seems like a good intiative but I can't really understand why we aren't doing this in house, Leigh Brown etc had a very similar start to his career (same body shape etc), he was also high draft pick no. 5 from memory?
Better yet, get him on the payroll as soon as possible and get HIM inhouse!

Going back to the late 90's especially 1999. We were a joke of a club. HadI a terrible list and in a very similar position that you guys are in now. Buckley at his peak, Burns, a young Tarrant and Anthony Rocca was just about all we had going for us at that time.

Within 3 years Malthouse turned over 3 quarters of our list and got us into 2 Grand Finals. I know everyone is on Mark Neeld's back but I say everyone waits till he gets to cull this list and build his own team. The only thing I disagree with was appointing Grimes and Trengrove as captains. Neeld will seperate the men from the boys. Under Bailey the difference between your best and worst was huge. One week you will win by 15 goals the next week you will get spanked by the same margin. His style of football would never win you a premiership.

I think Mark Neeld needs a good 3 years before the jury can be out on him. This isn't because he was at Collingwood previously but the man has a vision and he will decide who can and can't play the way he wants Melbourne to play.

Going back to the late 90's especially 1999. We were a joke of a club. HadI a terrible list and in a very similar position that you guys are in now. Buckley at his peak, Burns, a young Tarrant and Anthony Rocca was just about all we had going for us at that time.

Within 3 years Malthouse turned over 3 quarters of our list and got us into 2 Grand Finals. I know everyone is on Mark Neeld's back but I say everyone waits till he gets to cull this list and build his own team. The only thing I disagree with was appointing Grimes and Trengrove as captains. Neeld will seperate the men from the boys. Under Bailey the difference between your best and worst was huge. One week you will win by 15 goals the next week you will get spanked by the same margin. His style of football would never win you a premiership.

I think Mark Neeld needs a good 3 years before the jury can be out on him. This isn't because he was at Collingwood previously but the man has a vision and he will decide who can and can't play the way he wants Melbourne to play.

Your sentiment is correct.

I don't know if Neeld will be able to achieve it, but I know he won't die wondering

He needs full support and his 3 years

Having said that, 2 and a half years in if he's yet to win a game then he's gone (well....before then but you get my point) :D :D

I feel a little sorry for Davey, the reason he used to be so good was because he was being protected by his teamates. These days he gets nothing, they are all too worried about themselves when they should be worrying about helping each other out, especially when it gets physical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back