Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive heard people say the Academy doesnt listen to clubs. Also heard they talk to much with the bigger clubs where the most academy kids play. You cant have it both ways! Either you do want them talking to clubs, or you dont.

The bigger clubs offer div1 sides in club competitions, hence they attract most of the talent as parents want their kids competing in the best comp. So naturally most of the academy kids come from the bigger clubs. By necessity the academy must talk to these clubs as that's where the kids are attracted to, and reside. If a kid is on the cusp of being selected 'late' in the academy there is more chance of that happening if he is playing div1 (in one of the bigger clubs) as the club often talks with the academy.

Who is going to get the attention? The kid not in the academy carving up div4 for Zillmere, or the kids not in the academy carving them up for Grange in div1? Of course both should, but one would imagine the academy is going to take more notice of the kid in div1 up against decent opposition than 'imagining' how the div4 kid would do against better opposition.

Usually the academy kids are discovered early through school rep or AFLQ u14-16s. If a kid doesnt make rep sides early but blooms late, he isnt doing himself any favours playing in a lower division at a small club. He has to be playing in div1 or QAFL colts etc to prove he has the goods. Harris Andrews was lucky he was with Aspley, not a smaller club.
There was a kid in my grandsons side last season, under12 who is a pretty special talent, he was asked to change to one of the "bigger clubs" this season for the under14 season (there is no under13 comp) but said no as he wanted to keep playing with his mates.

This kid is not in the Lions academy and is a definite better talent than some of the kids I saw who are.... IMO.

Harris Andrews was lucky he was with Aspley, not a smaller club.

Harris Andrews was lucky he had a coach who harassed the Academy into taking another look at him, in spite of being aligned to one of the bigger clubs around.

The biggest problems I used to hear about the Academy has that there was little allowance for kids who developed later (if you weren't ID'd as a 12yo you generally wouldn't get a look in) and that the Academy didn't want to listen to clubs. While I can understand the second in a way - getting bombarded with requests to "take a look at this kid" is going to take away from other work, but there should've been a greater effort between clubs and the Academy to work more cooperatively.

There was a kid in my grandsons side last season, under12 who is a pretty special talent, he was asked to change to one of the "bigger clubs" this season for the under14 season (there is no under13 comp) but said no as he wanted to keep playing with his mates.

This kid is not in the Lions academy and is a definite better talent than some of the kids I saw who are.... IMO.
At his age he should be identified through school rep footy. u12s-u15s?

Harris Andrews was lucky he had a coach who harassed the Academy into taking another look at him, in spite of being aligned to one of the bigger clubs around.

The biggest problems I used to hear about the Academy has that there was little allowance for kids who developed later (if you weren't ID'd as a 12yo you generally wouldn't get a look in) and that the Academy didn't want to listen to clubs. While I can understand the second in a way - getting bombarded with requests to "take a look at this kid" is going to take away from other work, but there should've been a greater effort between clubs and the Academy to work more cooperatively.
The academy has been 're-peopled' at the top. Hopefully it brings some new direction in talent ID for those later bloomers?

An example of the academy's new approach; Some 115 boys were selected in the u19s squad this season to trial for the Lions u19s team. I heard a lot of people saying it was crazy. You just cant please everyone eh?

Last edited:
Ive heard people say the Academy doesnt listen to clubs. Also heard they talk to much with the bigger clubs where the most academy kids play. You cant have it both ways! Either you do want them talking to clubs, or you dont.

The bigger clubs offer div1 sides in club competitions, hence they attract most of the talent as parents want their kids competing in the best comp. So naturally most of the academy kids come from the bigger clubs. By necessity the academy must talk to these clubs as that's where the kids are attracted to, and reside. If a kid is on the cusp of being selected 'late' in the academy there is more chance of that happening if he is playing div1 (in one of the bigger clubs) as the club often talks with the academy.

Who is going to get the attention? The kid not in the academy carving up div4 for Zillmere, or the kids not in the academy carving them up for Grange in div1? Of course both should, but one would imagine the academy is going to take more notice of the kid in div1 up against decent opposition than 'imagining' how the div4 kid would do against better opposition.

Usually the academy kids are discovered early through school rep or AFLQ u14-16s. If a kid doesnt make rep sides early but blooms late, he isnt doing himself any favours playing in a lower division at a small club. He has to be playing in div1 or QAFL colts etc to prove he has the goods. Harris Andrews was lucky he was with Aspley, not a smaller club.

Successful AFL recruitment teams often grab kids who have slipped through the cracks but have talent. They do this by having a network of club contacts who give them a heads up and then they actually go out and watch the kids. The Lions should have a massive advantage for kids in their zones given they are a local team and should easily be able to get one of their scouts out to look at the games. It should be very simple and the fact that there is such a poor relationship with a lot of clubs speaks badly on the Lions staff. Go to games, see what the kid has to offer, provide feedback. It the kids has the goods get him into the program quick smart, if not give them a development program anyway. You never know they might come through and it costs you very little and builds goodwill which seems in short supply.

Whatever the Lions are doing it is certainly not generating results. Others have questioned talent identification and club communications, personally I have an issue with the development programs themselves. We have been the worst academy for the last two years and have yet to produce even an above average midfielder. That is ever. The last really good midfielder to come out of our zone is probably Beams who was before the Academy. Qld seemed to actually be doing better before the academy with the likes of Dunstall, Acker, Voss, Reiwoldt and Beams. Sydney is no more of an AFL town than Brisbane but continually produces results including two more this year. Whatever the Academy team have been doing to date they have not actually been developing top end players. At some stage management have to take a good close look at the academy and if the current group are not getting it done get someone in who will.

Get people out and interacting with clubs and watching games. Get elite junior development staff. Invest in the one big advantage the AFL has given us.

Possibly one of the problems 'mids' have in QLD is lack of exposure to the higher level of competition the the Vic kids have in the TAC cup. Where Vic kids have a whole season to 'get up to speed' with the 18-20 games they play during the season, with constant exposure to scouts, the Lions boys get 2-4 cracks at it to try and impress.

A Vic kid may compete pretty average for his first few games before adapting to the challenge, and go on and impress in the next 3/4 of the season, whereas the Lions kid doesnt get that chance, plays only 4 games if hes lucky, hasnt the time to adapt, looks average, and its over. Both the QLD kid and the Vic kid played average in the 1st 4 games, but the Vic kid has the rest of the season to adapt and impress.

What happens to the QLD kid? Doesnt get drafted, Life takes over for most of them, Job, debt, alcohol, Girls.

The top kids in the Lions academy have a big advantage over their Victorian counterparts in that they get to play NEAFL and now VFL football and get exposed to playing with and against AFL opposition. They get a whole season to do this and show what they can do.

They also get the intra-academy games, the State games as well as the TAC games.

If they are a bit of a late bloomer they get the chance to play through the QAFL now which is of a higher standard than the TAC. Not as many scouts watch these games but there are certainly eyes there and there is vision on these games that teams will call up if someone suddenly grabs their interest.

Qld kids have not a lot of excuses as far as games go imo.

I think the argument might more be that the standard of the elite talent pathway program might be the issue and if that is the case that is an indictment of the Lions.

At his age he should be identified through school rep footy. u12s-u15s?
What happens if the kid doesn’t play at a school with an AFL program?

Anyone with school aged kids now, how many State and Private schools play AFL footy.

When I was at school in the 80’s I wasn’t aware of any schools in Brisbane that played AFL.

Last edited:
What happens if the kid doesn’t play at a school with an AFL program?

Anyone with school aged kids now, how many State and Private schools play AFL footy.

When I was at school in the 80’s I wasn’t aware of any schools in Brisbane that played AFL.

I'm guessing you attended a private school. In the late 80s, most state school's had Aussie Rules teams (we didn't play "AFL" back then), at least in the northern suburbs where I grew up. Those who didn't were usually strong rugby league schools like Wavell High.

To my knoweldge, most private schools have some sort of program now, even the traditional rugby schools, whereas 25 years ago it would have been close to zero. If a kid isn't getting noticed in a school environment, it's because he's not playing footy.

I'm guessing you attended a private school. In the late 80s, most state school's had Aussie Rules teams (we didn't play "AFL" back then), at least in the northern suburbs where I grew up. Those who didn't were usually strong rugby league schools like Wavell High.

To my knoweldge, most private schools have some sort of program now, even the traditional rugby schools, whereas 25 years ago it would have been close to zero. If a kid isn't getting noticed in a school environment, it's because he's not playing footy.
Yes. But GF went to MacGregor State High, and I don’t believe they had an Aussie Rules team.

Successful AFL recruitment teams often grab kids who have slipped through the cracks but have talent. They do this by having a network of club contacts who give them a heads up and then they actually go out and watch the kids. The Lions should have a massive advantage for kids in their zones given they are a local team and should easily be able to get one of their scouts out to look at the games. It should be very simple and the fact that there is such a poor relationship with a lot of clubs speaks badly on the Lions staff. Go to games, see what the kid has to offer, provide feedback. It the kids has the goods get him into the program quick smart, if not give them a development program anyway. You never know they might come through and it costs you very little and builds goodwill which seems in short supply.

Whatever the Lions are doing it is certainly not generating results. Others have questioned talent identification and club communications, personally I have an issue with the development programs themselves. We have been the worst academy for the last two years and have yet to produce even an above average midfielder. That is ever. The last really good midfielder to come out of our zone is probably Beams who was before the Academy. Qld seemed to actually be doing better before the academy with the likes of Dunstall, Acker, Voss, Reiwoldt and Beams. Sydney is no more of an AFL town than Brisbane but continually produces results including two more this year. Whatever the Academy team have been doing to date they have not actually been developing top end players. At some stage management have to take a good close look at the academy and if the current group are not getting it done get someone in who will.

Get people out and interacting with clubs and watching games. Get elite junior development staff. Invest in the one big advantage the AFL has given us.
Facts don't actually align with this extraordinary negative post and view. Tonight's team has SIX Academy players (incl. emergencies) playing. That is n exceptional achievement. All those playing tonight are still developing and a few already in the A grade level. So what is the big deal we have not produced midfielders. We are producing TALLS and other types. Every club is crying out for quality talls and our Academy is excelling at talent ID and development.

Not since Alex Ferguson at Man U has this level of Academy talent played in the senior team. For me whatever the Academy is doing we are regularly now topping up at the draft with our Academy kids and six kids are in a team that is a contender.

Last edited:
Facts don't actually align with this extraordinary negative post and view. Tonight's team has SIX Academy players (incl. emergencies) playing. That is n exceptional achievement. All those playing tonight are still developing and a few already in the A grade level. So what is the big deal we have not produced midfielders. We are producing TALLS and other types. Every club is crying out for quality talls and our Academy is excelling at talent ID and development.

Not since Alex Ferguson at Man U has this level of Academy talent played in the senior team. For me whatever the Academy is doing we are regularly now topping up at the draft with our Academy kids and six kids are in a team that is a contender.

We have Andrews who can be considered an elite player. Hipwood an established clear first 22 player. From there we have Payne, Fullarton, Ballenden and Coleman who are all young and fringe players at the moment. I think you are being overly rosy in your framing of the success of the Academy by calling out those playing this week (or not in the case of Coleman). Hipwood was the only one of those who was even close to a first round pick which is indicative of the level of development these players had coming into the side. If they are succeeding it does not look like it is coming from the development they received in the Academy.

If we are focused on talls only I would ask why. You have a program which could be giving us a big benefit and we do not seem to be utilising it to its fullest. We are either failing to identify the talent or in the development of that talent. It is a waste.

I believe it to be very rare a kid 'falls through the cracks', and who were never identified by the Academy. Can you name any? Not players who the Lions 'passed' on, like Buzza or Alir Alir, but kids who were never identified by the academy, yet got picked up by another club?

In another post you say TAC cup isnt up to (NEA)VFL standard, and that QLD kids have the chance to prove themselves in that comp? So you are saying that throwing an 18yo into VFL and expecting them to shine against men who have been through the system is the same opportunity as Vic kids get playing vs other 18yos in the TAC cup?

I would contend most midfielders in their 18th year (there are always exceptions) aren't ready to impress at VFL level. They may 'contribute' but certainly not dominate full grown talented, hardened men. Thats how you ruin a kids confidence. 'Chuck him in, see if he sinks or swims'.

No, those mids are much better served playing vs like, other u18s (or u19s now). One does not progress a boxer matching him too quickly vs class he is not ready for. The same with midfielders IMO. There is a lot of heavy contact in the middle, and many just don't handle it mentally or physically, because they aren't ready yet.

Look at Rowell. I was telling everyone he would get smashed, that he wasn't a beast, he was a 178cm , 75kg kid. But no. "He is a beast!" they all said.

2 major injuries later..

It’s not just Quigley saying the club is poor at talent identification, poor at developing kids, poor at coaching.

It’s just that very few are willing to say anything publicly, even on social media. In private is a totally different story.

There are parents who’s kids have come through the Lions academy and are on AFL lists right now, who believe the Lions academy is/was poorly run, and doesn’t really benefit a kids development.

Jump on the QAFL board, and there are quite a few posters who clearly are involved in the clubs and have kids currently in the academy, and to a man or woman, everyone of them, except Billyclub above, is highly critical of the Lions academy talent identification and coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe it to be very rare a kid 'falls through the cracks', and who were never identified by the Academy. Can you name any? Not players who the Lions 'passed' on, like Buzza or Alir Alir, but kids who were never identified by the academy, yet got picked up by another club?

In another post you say TAC cup isnt up to (NEA)VFL standard, and that QLD kids have the chance to prove themselves in that comp? So you are saying that throwing an 18yo into VFL and expecting them to shine against men who have been through the system is the same opportunity as Vic kids get playing vs other 18yos in the TAC cup?

I would contend most midfielders in their 18th year (there are always exceptions) aren't ready to impress at VFL level. They may 'contribute' but certainly not dominate full grown talented, hardened men. Thats how you ruin a kids confidence. 'Chuck him in, see if he sinks or swims'.

No, those mids are much better served playing vs like, other u18s (or u19s now). One does not progress a boxer matching him too quickly vs class he is not ready for. The same with midfielders IMO. There is a lot of heavy contact in the middle, and many just don't handle it mentally or physically, because they aren't ready yet.

Look at Rowell. I was telling everyone he would get smashed, that he wasn't a beast, he was a 178cm , 75kg kid. But no. "He is a beast!" they all said.

2 major injuries later..
Just going to say, you see the exact same injuries at junior level, in lots of sports.

Deven Robertson had the same shoulder injury and surgery in his U18 year. MCL, PCL, ACL injuries aren’t limited to the AFL.

I work in an upper and lower limb surgical ward, and I see kids every week come through with shoulder and knee reconstructions from club and school sports.

It’s not just Quigley saying the club is poor at talent identification, poor at developing kids, poor at coaching.

It’s just that very few are willing to say anything publicly, even on social media. In private is a totally different story.

There are parents who’s kids have come through the Lions academy and are on AFL lists right now, who believe the Lions academy is/was poorly run, and doesn’t really benefit a kids development.

Jump on the QAFL board, and there are quite a few posters who clearly are involved in the clubs and have kids currently in the academy, and to a man or woman, everyone of them, except Billyclub above, is highly critical of the Lions academy talent identification and coaching.
Briztoon. I hear the same comments round the traps. I just happen to think the academy is doing ok. It has been in existence some 12 years now? How many QLD draftees in 12 years compared to the previous 10-20-30 years? I dont know the figures, but id say the figures compare ok? Theres no doubt the academy isnt run perfectly, not much is, even McDonalds get the orders wrong (too bloody often) and they have what is considered a pretty good production structure.

There are things i see wrong with the academy also. There are kids i think that should be in the academy that aren't. There is also kids in it that I dont think should be. Coaches friend academy members on FB and i think that is all sorts of wrong.

If there was a way to improve it, id suggest something here. But i don't really know what else they can do? I honestly think they would listen if people came up with some good ideas. especially now with a new crew running it? (no, im not involved).

Last edited:

2 major injuries later..

My issue has more been with development than identification.

Whilst you do have a point about throwing kids into comps before they are ready can hurt confidence of some it is worth noting that it has been a good development of others. There are a reasonable number of 18 year olds each year playing in the SANFL and WAFL each year and it doesn't seem to do those guys any harm. Many others play in the reserves competitions for those leagues and you could equate those to the QAFL (although I would say the QAFL is better now with the demise of the NEAFL).

The Lions academy players have the opportunity to dominate against their age group in the intraacademy, TAC and National Championship games before going on to get a chance to play against the men at VFL and QAFL. As for kids playing in the WAFL and SANLF they are not expected to dominate but it does provide an opportunity for them to develop and for scouts to see how they are likely to fair the following year. Some will not be ready physically to play against the men but the question then becomes whether there has been a failure in the program to make them so.

My issue has more been with development than identification.

Whilst you do have a point about throwing kids into comps before they are ready can hurt confidence of some it is worth noting that it has been a good development of others. There are a reasonable number of 18 year olds each year playing in the SANFL and WAFL each year and it doesn't seem to do those guys any harm. Many others play in the reserves competitions for those leagues and you could equate those to the QAFL (although I would say the QAFL is better now with the demise of the NEAFL).

The Lions academy players have the opportunity to dominate against their age group in the intraacademy, TAC and National Championship games before going on to get a chance to play against the men at VFL and QAFL. As for kids playing in the WAFL and SANLF they are not expected to dominate but it does provide an opportunity for them to develop and for scouts to see how they are likely to fair the following year. Some will not be ready physically to play against the men but the question then becomes whether there has been a failure in the program to make them so.
We agree it is the development of identified talent that needs looking at. What concerns me in developing 17-19yos vs men is not that they have the skills to compete, they do, it is that at this point in their biological development are at a physical disadvantage vs players in open age representative competition (VFL).

I like the TAC cup concept because it gives the boys competition vs other kids with talent. It raises the talent standard to a good level without the adversity competing with fully mature men. While QAFL may be an alternative for the development of kids in the absence of a high standard colts (TAC), there is still the concern of the extra stresses competing vs men.

Ideally, id like to see Lions and Suns compete in the TAC cup. That is unlikely to ever happen due to travel costs. However a compromise could be made; The lions had 3 intra academy teams, and the Suns could probably field the same. That would provide a pretty good standard of footy for kids up to 19yo if a competition was run in this age group. That is also unlikely to happen as clubs would have kittens about it, but purely from a development point of view it would be good for QLD talent.

A model for compromise could be a 'QLD TAC cup' model be run in SEQ for 6-8 weeks leading up to the beginning of the QAFL season, leading into the Lions and Suns choosing their academy sides to play a couple of TAC games, National carnivals etc.

Talking to some of the boys who played in the intra academy games, they loved it. They all found it faster and more physical, but loved the step up and being challenged. For many it was the highest standard of footy they ever played and being competitive they loved the challenge. Every one of the boys i spoke to wished there were more games at that standard. It would provide more games for more kids than a simple Lions vs Suns intra academy game would.

More games for more kids at a higher standard and watch who grows into it. After the 6-8 games both clubs would have a better idea of who their best 23 are for their suns vs lions academy games. They get to watch some 150 - 200 kids play 6 - 8 games.

Would give more opportunity for talent identification, and growth of talent.

Edit.

There would be a concern that the kids would play too much footy by adding more games. A solution could be to play some of the games during the season instead of club footy. The clubs may not be happy with that, but most kids come from the big clubs who have plenty of colts on their roster to cover missing players for a few weeks. What is more important? Winning a colts GF or identifying and growing talent?

Last edited:
Briztoon. I hear the same comments round the traps. I just happen to think the academy is doing ok. It has been in existence some 12 years now? How many QLD draftees in 12 years compared to the previous 10-20-30 years? I dont know the figures, but id say the figures compare ok? Theres no doubt the academy isnt run perfectly, not much is, even McDonalds get the orders wrong (too bloody often) and they have what is considered a pretty good production structure.

There are things i see wrong with the academy also. There are kids i think that should be in the academy that aren't. There is also kids in it that I dont think should be. Coaches friend academy members on FB and i think that is all sorts of wrong.

If there was a way to improve it, id suggest something here. But i don't really know what else they can do? I honestly think they would listen if people came up with some good ideas. especially now with a new crew running it? (no, im not involved).
The biggest issues I believe are, the size of our zone and the spread out nature of the population outside the metropolitan areas.

And that the academy exists alongside the QAFL clubs, and the kids are essentially shared between their QAFL club and the academy.

This doesn’t happen in many other sports. In football (soccer) in most of Europe, clubs all have academies, and the better kids filter up to the elite team academies.

Kids in the Manchester United, or Barcelona, or Juventus academies aren’t split between their junior club and an academy club.

Ideally kids in the Lions academy only train and play in the Lions academy. Essentially the Lions have junior Lions clubs based in their various regions.

There are age group teams that compete in their local competitions. By 16 or 17, we have teams that play colts, say a South side, North side, Sunshine Coast side and a Darling Downs side.

The best kids get promoted to play in the VFL side if and when the coaches believe they’re ready.

After their under 18 year, kids can decide if they want to return for a 19th year in the academy, or head out to play VFL at Aspley or join a QAFL team.

If a kid wants to stay at a QAFL club, that’s fine. If he’s good enough, he’ll make it, and can play in the state rep sides. He just won’t be priority access to the Lions at the draft.

One of the issues I have thought for a while has counted against the Qlders has been the fact that they finish school a year ahead of most of the other states. In the year after school finishes focus is lost, alcohol and other distractions are found and generally the strict parameters of school life are lost for the year they spend waiting for a potential AFL career to start.

With the change a couple of years ago to the school starting age that will change although it will take a while to filter through.

Just out of interest, who are the "new crew running it" compared with the previous crew?

Disaffected parents bagging the club, blaming the club for their children’s misfortune or lack of development and not being picked by the Lions. Really? What’s new?
How many can we pick each draft? Some we will have to let go and good lack to them at the other clubs. Hope they do make it. Maybe they should be thankfull that the Academy got them to e draftable level. Maybe not at the Lions but they are on an AFL list. Without the Academy putting time, money, resources, effort in to their development these kids would never have been drafted at all.

The Academy has done well for us. Sure there’s always room for improvement but if we continue with producing one or two AFL standard draftable kids to inject into the list that’s a good outcome.

Disaffected parents bagging the club, blaming the club for their children’s misfortune or lack of development and not being picked by the Lions. Really? What’s new?
How many can we pick each draft? Some we will have to let go and good lack to them at the other clubs. Hope they do make it. Maybe they should be thankfull that the Academy got them to e draftable level. Maybe not at the Lions but they are on an AFL list. Without the Academy putting time, money, resources, effort in to their development these kids would never have been drafted at all.

The Academy has done well for us. Sure there’s always room for improvement but if we continue with producing one or two AFL standard draftable kids to inject into the list that’s a good outcome.
Think I’ve only ever spoken to one parent, and he was fully aware where his kid was at.

Most people I’ve interacted with, talk much more in general, or talk from the QAFL side of the discussion, and based on their interactions with academy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back