ACT Based Supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

What are some of your favourite spots for a hike around here?
Everywhere. As long as it's mostly bush and not urban streets. Walked the Centennial circuit a few years back and that has great segments all the way through it. Have done quite a bit of walking in Namadgi NP. Canberra has a lot of urban hills and ridges that are nature reserves from Calwell in the south to Hall on the northern border. That means most of it is easily accessible wherever you live. Some good walks along the Queanbeyan River valley too. The coastal escarpment has some great ones, like the Corn Trail and lots of terrific hikes in Morton NP.

Planning to do the Great Ocean Walk later in the year (Vic). Some good hikes around Corryong and the Snowys. And I know of a bloke (but haven't met him) who is trying to devise a continuous route from Canberra to the coast, probably 120+km. That'd be a great one to do if he gets it going. Not that you need an official "defined" route, but the continuity would make it more enjoyable.

We bought a place in Monash a couple of years ago. Prior to that I owned an apartment in Bruce and we rented for a year in Hughes. I do a lot of running in the bush at Aranda and also around Lake BG.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Everywhere. As long as it's mostly bush and not urban streets. Walked the Centennial circuit a few years back and that has great segments all the way through it. Have done quite a bit of walking in Namadgi NP. Canberra has a lot of urban hills and ridges that are nature reserves from Calwell in the south to Hall on the northern border. That means most of it is easily accessible wherever you live. Some good walks along the Queanbeyan River valley too. The coastal escarpment has some great ones, like the Corn Trail and lots of terrific hikes in Morton NP.

Planning to do the Great Ocean Walk later in the year (Vic). Some good hikes around Corryong and the Snowys. And I know of a bloke (but haven't met him) who is trying to devise a continuous route from Canberra to the coast, probably 120+km. That'd be a great one to do if he gets it going. Not that you need an official "defined" route, but the continuity would make it more enjoyable.
Thanks for the response - lots of great ideas there! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Bicentennial trail some time. Pretty keen to cycle it one day. I might go to the part around the Urambis soon - I live fairly close to the Gordon Pond/Point Hut enhance so it'd be an easy one.

We're not much of bushwalkers - well I'm not at least 😁 (my partner grew up in Darwin so she's much better at handling herself outdoors). We did the obligatory local touristy stuff in our first couple of years here (i.e. Tidbinbilla, Mt Taylor, Red Hill, etc.) - and we used to potter about Tuggeranong Hill (our local) - but it's been pretty light on the past few years as the dogs got older (both gone recently) and a 3yo who demands carrying every 50m.

The Great Ocean Walk and the Canberra to Coast walks sound amazing. Hope the one to the coast goes ahead!

We bought a place in Monash a couple of years ago. Prior to that I owned an apartment in Bruce and we rented for a year in Hughes. I do a lot of running in the bush at Aranda and also around Lake BG.

We were almost neighbours - we just missed out on a place in Oxley when we bought ~7 years back. We tried to get cute after it passed in (and had no other serious offers) and it allowed a latecomer to come in over the top.

I love our place in Conder - and it has lovely views of the Brindabellas - but the other place was near the top of Oxley Hill. You could see everything virtually unobstructed in most directions.

We were almost neighbours - we just missed out on a place in Oxley when we bought ~7 years back. We tried to get cute after it passed in (and had no other serious offers) and it allowed a latecomer to come in over the top.

I love our place in Conder - and it has lovely views of the Brindabellas - but the other place was near the top of Oxley Hill. You could see everything virtually unobstructed in most directions.

Ah damn, views would be lovely from up there. I think the views overall down here are absolutely amazing. Best in Canberra. Although we don’t have any from our place sadly.

Ah damn, views would be lovely from up there. I think the views overall down here are absolutely amazing. Best in Canberra. Although we don’t have any from our place sadly.

Yeah, the views are magnificent down here. I feel like the shape and openness of Tuggeranon/Lanyon Valleys adds to the vista.

We got lucky with our place - it's a battle axe block so it wasn't very popular, which allowed us to negotiate down to within our budget. There's a fair gradient here though (it's at the foot of Tuggeranong Hill) so we're mostly elevated above the neighbours in front.

Just wondering whether we should move this thread to the non-footy board in here? Really enjoying the chat but I'm mindful that we're dragging it off your OP!

Still very keen for the supporters' group, of course 🙂

Just wondering whether we should move this thread to the non-footy board in here? Really enjoying the chat but I'm mindful that we're dragging it off your OP!

Still very keen for the supporters' group, of course

Good idea. How do we move it?

I manage a social running group (called TTS which stands for Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) for Canberra Runners. If you ever feel like joining a group, go here. Would love a few more footy heads to chat with on long runs or at coffee afterwards.

What are some of your favourite spots for a hike around here?
Mt Tennent is a nice hike and a great training ground. I go up it quite regularly as I have just enough time to get up, go down and drive there and back when my wife has a short shift on the weekend. It was great training for Nepal.

Mt Gingera via Stockyard Spur and Camel Hump + St John's Peak in Tidbinbilla are also awesome.

I manage a social running group (called TTS which stands for Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) for Canberra Runners. If you ever feel like joining a group, go here. Would love a few more footy heads to chat with on long runs or at coffee afterwards.

Interesting. I run with a mate on Saturdays but a Tuesday or Thursday group run could definitely be of interest. Recently did the 21k Kowen Forrest trail. Great fun!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mt Tennent is a nice hike and a great training ground. I go up it quite regularly as I have just enough time to get up, go down and drive there and back when my wife has a short shift on the weekend. It was great training for Nepal.

Mt Gingera via Stockyard Spur and Camel Hump + St John's Peak in Tidbinbilla are also awesome.
Mt Tennent looks like a really nice hike - it looks so steep up close though!

I really need to work on my dodgy hip/glute - I just don't trust myself on anything much more than a fire trail these days. I've had a few moments where I've nearly lost my balance on pretty tame stuff.

Apologies for the dumb question but do we actually tag these guys in a message somehow or simply write their name and hope they see it?

There are no dumb questions.

Look, mods are all-seeing, all-knowing (not to mention all-powerful) ... so sometimes if you just type the word "mods" in a post they somehow arrive!

1722956151596.jpeg

But mostly you just tag them like this: Fossie 32 (that's "@" followed by the username).

Anyway since you're now here Foss, we reckon it's better to move this thread to The Dog House. See above.
Could you help out please?

Oh, and with my other two wishes ...
(1) a Bulldogs AFL flag this year
(2) Bont to win the Norm Smith Medal.
No rush.

Mt Tennent looks like a really nice hike - it looks so steep up close though!

I really need to work on my dodgy hip/glute - I just don't trust myself on anything much more than a fire trail these days. I've had a few moments where I've nearly lost my balance on pretty tame stuff.

Mt Tennent is a decent old climb. I've been up it a few times.

14km, nearly 800m of elevation gain. That's hard work!
Not sure I'd be running up it.

You must be pretty fit Rookie if you go up there regularly. Kudos!

There are no dumb questions.

Look, mods are all-seeing, all-knowing (not to mention all-powerful) ... so sometimes if you just type the word "mods" in a post they somehow arrive!

View attachment 2070928

But mostly you just tag them like this: Fossie 32 (that's "@" followed by the username).

Anyway since you're now here Foss, we reckon it's better to move this thread to The Dog House. See above.
Could you help out please?

Oh, and with my other two wishes ...
(1) a Bulldogs AFL flag this year
(2) Bont to win the Norm Smith Medal.
No rush.

Legend, thanks heaps! It didn’t actually cross my mind to put an @ in front duh

Every Tuesday and Thursday is at Lennox Garden 6:30 start for max an hour. Group is 25-45 in size with a real mixture of skills/ages/experience/running motivation. Saturday (7am start)is a longer run at various venues from Mulligans Nature Park to along the Murrumbidgee River. Many of the group have run the Kowen events. Bring your mate along
Interesting. I run with a mate on Saturdays but a Tuesday or Thursday group run could definitely be of interest. Recently did the 21k Kowen Forrest trail. Great fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

ACT Based Supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back