Rumour Adam Cooney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Goddard is band 1 compo ($750k salary)...

And GWS pay Buddy $1.5 mil... and we pay Cooney $750k then surely we should still get a band 1 compo

Doesn't work that way!

It might actually.

Compensation is based on the net gain/loss in the FA period. If the AFL says "OK, Buddy is band 1 and Cooney is band 1" then they could end up cancelling out and we get nothing.

However, if the points calculated by their FA formula (taking into account all the relevant factors like age and contract amount, etc) for each of Franklin and Cooney are offset (ie. Frankin formula result minus Cooney formula result) before the bands are calculated then we could quite potentially still end up with band 1 compensation.

In reality that would be the fairest way of the AFL compensating us for losing Franklin without going into the more convoluted plans like the AFL or Buddy forcing GWS to trade with us. They could tell us to go out and get players like Cooney and Thomas under FA and they'll see that the calculations net us band 1 compo.

Still wishful thinking I reckon...

Band 1 compensation is after your first round draft pick right? Band 2 is at the end of the first round draft pick? If Hawks win the flag then there is no difference between Band 1-2 we would end up with the same pick? Picking up an expensive player and running the risk of dropping to Band 2 would not actually cost us anything...

hehehe,

Brian Lake's chances of winning a flag
"I think they're certainly in for a big shot. It was probably a good move for him. The club got a young pick in Nathan Hrovat as well, who we think's going to be a great player. Do I miss him around the club? Not too much. I'm able to focus a little bit more, now that he's gone. He used to stir me up every now and then, but he's certainly a great mate of mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back