mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Haven't heard his name around the board lately or in the pre season thread. No body says Oxley is tearing it up.
Most of the time I have heard his name it was in a list or pawn in some posters argument. No real hype around this guy like Broomhead is getting or hate like Blair. He's almost been invisible this off season.

His future isn't clear, he does have attributes that will help him make the grade but as a tall back flanker he is more than likely behind Scharenberg and is way behind Langdon. With the 2015 will he be able to shine and show us what he can do?

What will happen to our rangy half back flanker with great skills and poise?

Also is Oxley still recovering from an injury?

Better than expected 1st year followed by 2nd season being written off completely means he has gone back to being an unknown quantity for mine. There are quite a few lining up with aspirations for a position in the back 6. Along with Oxley there are the likes of Langdon, Seedsman, Sinclair, Maynard and Ramsay. The more established types like Toovey and Williams.

My Starting 6 would be

Williams Brown Toovey
Langdon Keeffe Frost

Seedman on bench

Oxley is at the rear of this group so will be scraping to keep a spot on the list going forward as his 1st priority.

Better than expected 1st year followed by 2nd season being written off completely means he has gone back to being an unknown quantity for mine. There are quite a few lining up with aspirations for a position in the back 6. Along with Oxley there are the likes of Langdon, Seedsman, Sinclair, Maynard and Ramsay. The more established types like Toovey and Williams.

My Starting 6 would be

Williams Brown Toovey
Langdon Keeffe Frost

Seedman on bench

Oxley is at the rear of this group so will be scraping to keep a spot on the list going forward as his 1st priority.
Very poor footskills in that backline, it won't help our ball movement when Langdon and Keeffe are the only good users by foot. Yes, I believe Keeffe is quite a skilful player, contrary to popular belief on this forum.

I think most people find him skillfull, but just don't like his kick ins.

I think most people find him skillfull, but just don't like his kick ins.
The irony I find is by him doing the kicking we are robbing ourselves of a 6'7 or whatever he is target.

The irony I find is by him doing the kicking we are robbing ourselves of a 6'7 or whatever he is target.
Shame he can't take a contested mark to save himself! His kick ins are glacially slow too. By the time he's got the footy to his foot, even the oppo full forward knows where the ball is going. Keeffe has too many negatives for mine, even if his ball use (sideways!) is neat and tidy.

As for Oxley, I rated his first year pretty highly. He can accumulate the ball and hit tit with a nice long kick. Also a good intercept mark. He will need to show better aptitude at the contest though, both at ground level and aerially. With Tooves down ATM, and in so-so form post knee reach anyway, he should be able to push his way in if he's good enough.

Shame he can't take a contested mark to save himself! His kick ins are glacially slow too. By the time he's got the footy to his foot, even the oppo full forward knows where the ball is going. Keeffe has too many negatives for mine, even if his ball use (sideways!) is neat and tidy.

As for Oxley, I rated his first year pretty highly. He can accumulate the ball and hit tit with a nice long kick. Also a good intercept mark. He will need to show better aptitude at the contest though, both at ground level and aerially. With Tooves down ATM, and in so-so form post knee reach anyway, he should be able to push his way in if he's good enough.

Completely different to Toovs. Oxley's problem is that he is very slow. Toovs' role requires speed and agility to keep up with and shut down dangerous small forwards. If he is missing, the likes of Ramsay and Sinclair are those who will take his place. Oxley is more competing for a spot at half back or even the wing, where his lack of pace is less damaging.

I don't think he's that slow. Medium paced.

Either way, he really only has a role in defence, so what I want to see it him win some one on one contests at the spoil and with some contested marks (he's a good mark and capable of some courageous intercept marks, but needs to show that he can win some body on body marks).

He's up against it, but has some serious positives to work with.

From what I saw before his ankle imploded his strengths were his reading of the play, courage, excellent intercept marking and delivery. He struck me as the closest to a direct Maxwell replacement I had seen, but a year completely wasted is a big hurdle to overcome given where he was at on the list. I'd love to see him succeed, but fear that boat has sailed.

From what I saw before his ankle imploded his strengths were his reading of the play, courage, excellent intercept marking and delivery. He struck me as the closest to a direct Maxwell replacement I had seen, but a year completely wasted is a big hurdle to overcome given where he was at on the list. I'd love to see him succeed, but fear that boat has sailed.
He's my Smokey for 2015 I've been on the Oxley wagon for a while now....

I originally voted yes but after going through some of the comments I realized he is possibly a little further behind others and changed my selection.

I hope I'm wrong but only so many spots. He is certainly one that could surprise and go a little under the radar early.

If you were doing a backline based on the best kicks he would be top 4 so kick ins he would be fine and better than keeffe probably over time if given the chance. He had a stellar first year at vfl level being that maxy type.
Cross fingers he gets a game and stays on the park as he can play fwd and wing but i rather the ball in his hands than tooves and marley even though i love them two hard nuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you were doing a backline based on the best kicks he would be top 4 so kick ins he would be fine and better than keeffe probably over time if given the chance. He had a stellar first year at vfl level being that maxy type.
Cross fingers he gets a game and stays on the park as he can play fwd and wing but i rather the ball in his hands than tooves and marley even though i love them two hard nuts.

He will start in the VFL and see how he goes

Showed fantastic talent first season, lots of poise and promise, deadly foot skills.

I agree, injury was devastating and we are back to him being all but an unknown commodity till he gets back on the park and gets a few games in.

Haven't heard his name around the board lately or in the pre season thread. No body says Oxley is tearing it up.
Most of the time I have heard his name it was in a list or pawn in some posters argument. No real hype around this guy like Broomhead is getting or hate like Blair. He's almost been invisible this off season.

His future isn't clear, he does have attributes that will help him make the grade but as a tall back flanker he is more than likely behind Scharenberg and is way behind Langdon. With the 2015 will he be able to shine and show us what he can do?

What will happen to our rangy half back flanker with great skills and poise?

Also is Oxley still recovering from an injury?
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2014-07-29/injury-update-r18

Keeffe's ball use is allot better than "neat and tidy (sideways)"

Very poor footskills in that backline, it won't help our ball movement when Langdon and Keeffe are the only good users by foot. Yes, I believe Keeffe is quite a skilful player, contrary to popular belief on this forum.

His skills are excellent. His challenge is that he has terrible positional sense. He is absolute bottom level in that regard and needs to improve dramatically to provide real value.

Lacks power to play KKP. Hard to see him setting the AFL on fire. Could play a role but hardly worth talking about. If he could bulk up Id be slightly more optismic. Just see him as an average half backer.
i guess you havent changed much ;) He is a maxy type and HBF player who can play up the ground, Lets see if bucks picks him to play.

i guess you havent changed much ;) He is a maxy type and HBF player who can play up the ground, Lets see if bucks picks him to play.

I thought he was more of an Andrew Mackie type

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Adam Oxley (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back