Adam Papalia

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else reckon this guy us under rated as a commentator. Unbiased, doesn't carry on and make it about him. Just a great caller.

Yeah all you hear about commentary on here is negative, people usually overlook the good and he is excellent!

More professional commentators and less dull, inarticulate recently retired / current player commentators would be great.

He sucks

Doesn’t know irrelevant details about a players grandmas cousins sister (Hamish)
Doesn’t say aye after every sentence (Bruce)
Doesn’t have a terrible voice (Darcy)
Doesn’t have moronic catchphrases (Dwayne)
Doesn’t call players names like a moron (BT)
Doesn’t orgasm over every good piece of play (Brayshaw)

I like him but some of his lines get really repetitive, I don’t really want to hear “strikes it pure” again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree totally.
Arguably one of the best callers going around and Fox persist in giving Derwayne Russell more commentating gigs.
These 2 are commentating together right now 😆

Adam has to be in the top 5 most listenable commentators going around.

Agreed. No ridiculous carry on, no mention of 'from the paint' or a 'safe word', just calls the game simply and accurately.

I know ths will sound odd but I always thought that was the way game should be called, paint an accurate but simple picture with less words.

People can see the TV screen so there is no need for all that histrionics & utter unecessary palava.

Rex Hunt carried on like a complete raving lunatic when calling a game on radio and people jumped on his wagon, I reckon the TV execs were scared of losing viewers so they encouraged their callers to go down that path and it has spiralled out of control since.

I know ths will sound odd but I always thought that was the way game should be called, paint an accurate but simple picture with less words.

People can see the TV screen so there is no need for all that histrionics & utter unecessary palava.

Rex Hunt carried on like a complete raving lunatic when calling a game on radio and people jumped on his wagon, I reckon the TV execs were scared of losing viewers so they encouraged their callers to go down that path and it has spiralled out of control since.
I feel Rex was different tho. I loved listening to Rex but not a fan of BT

I feel Rex was different tho. I loved listening to Rex but not a fan of BT

I think Hunt was like quite a few commentators - he actually was ok for a fair while - at least on radio, because it was genuine. After a while he played to the persona and then got worse and worse. Hudson when he started was ok, but he's drunk his own piss too many times and now tries to manufacture phrases.

I think Hunt was like quite a few commentators - he actually was ok for a fair while - at least on radio, because it was genuine. After a while he played to the persona and then got worse and worse.
as an avid 3AW listener during these times, this is 100% correct

as an avid 3AW listener during these times, this is 100% correct

It's amazing that both on TV and radio, no one ever - EVER - learns the lesson that commentators being themselves, being natural, is so much easier to listen to than a forced persona.

Have said it before, if you toned down Brian Taylor and asked him just about the importance of key forwards taking their chances, or Luke Darcy about the challenges of being an undersized ruckman, they would be really good. But no, we get the clown show.

I think Hunt was like quite a few commentators - he actually was ok for a fair while - at least on radio, because it was genuine. After a while he played to the persona and then got worse and worse. Hudson when he started was ok, but he's drunk his own piss too many times and now tries to manufacture phrases.
Thought Rex and the late Clinton Grubas were a brilliant combo

Remove this Banner Ad

Adam Papalia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back