Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just build a stand on the bloody Hill!!

Make it match the Riverbank stand and capacity will be 61,000.

Who goes to the footy and looks at the trees and scoreboard and says isn't that pretty?????

Who goes to the footy and looks at the trees and scoreboard and says isn't that pretty?????

Yep, let's trash 120 years of history so we can squeeze an extra 8,000 in.

People who also go to the cricket and have 3 hours before play and 3 minutes between each ball.

Bear in mind Adelaide Oval is a multi-purpose stadium. The hill and scoreboard are brilliant for the cricket, and the ground is renowned the world over for the northern end.

Adelaide Oval does not (and should not) cater for the needs of football only.

The thing that people haven't realised yet, is that come cricket season, 15000 people in the top deck of the Eastern stand WILL NOT be able to see the old scoreboard AT ALL. The seats are higher than the stand by miles & you sit side on to the scoreboard.

My seat for the Crows games is in the middle of the top deck (opposite mid pitch for cricket) & you cannot see the scoreboard at all. Even from the southern end of the Eastern stand you still can't see it.

This is going to be a big problem for the cricket season, as the way the electronic boards were used last summer, they just showed the batting teams score and overs faced.

They are going to have to fix this for this upcoming summer as this side of the ground hasn't been used by spectators since 2012.

The thing that people haven't realised yet (1), is that come cricket season, 15000 people in the top deck of the Eastern stand WILL NOT be able to see the old scoreboard AT ALL.

My seat for the Crows games is in the middle of the top deck (opposite mid pitch for cricket) & you cannot see the scoreboard at all. Even from the southern end of the Eastern stand you still can't see it.

This is going to be a big problem for the cricket season, as the way the electronic boards were used last summer(2), they just showed the batting teams score and overs faced(3).

They are going to have to fix this for this upcoming summer as this side of the ground hasn't been used by spectators since 2012(4).

(1) I think 15,000 people per AFL game this season will have realised this, or were you sitting there by yourself? :p
(2) The way the electronic screens at Adelaide were last used for Aussie Rules before this year, there were no scores on there at all, and *OMG!* they changed that when we got to 2014 and the stadium was complete.
(3) That's all you need really, isn't it? Then put the batting and bowling cards on the replay screens at regular intervals. Pretty sure that's how it goes down at the MCG, SCG, Gabba, stadia in NZ...
(4)Cricket has had 6 months of watching footy use the oval (and 4 years of thinking about this issue) to see what needs to be shown where, so that the people in the Eastern stand who cant see the heritage scoreboard know the score.

I think cricket, being an international, professional sport, which is played in such stadia as the MCG, SCG and the 'Gabba, may be able to sort out this problem and have enough score detail on the digital screens to keep all spectators up-to-date. God, even the people on the Village Green were able to keep track of the score, and you can't see the heritage scoreboard from there either.

Sorry, but moot point really.

Meh should have voted Liberal and the we would have had a new 60000 capacity stadium with a roof.
And shit grass from no sun, and a delapidated AO which is no longer up to Cricket Australia's standards and thus gets no international cricket. But that's cool coz we got footy.

Meh should have voted Liberal and the we would have had a new 60000 capacity stadium with a roof.

And we'd still be at Football Park because the Liberals would've found any excuse in the book to put off things like an actual design for the stadium (back when they were promising a new stadium, they were merely copying/pasting Etihad Stadium onto the railyards site).

And we'd still be at Football Park because the Liberals would've found any excuse in the book to put off things like an actual design for the stadium (back when they were promising a new stadium, they were merely copying/pasting Etihad Stadium onto the railyards site).
And there was nothing wrong with the old Southern expressway.

Bear in mind Adelaide Oval is a multi-purpose stadium. The hill and scoreboard are brilliant for the cricket, and the ground is renowned the world over for the northern end.

Adelaide Oval does not (and should not) cater for the needs of football only.

Yes AO is multi purpose, but the majority of the income now is going to come from footy. 22 h&a games + any finals will provide a hell of a lot more income than half a dozen shield games @1k punters per game, 1 or 2 international games and half a dozen Big Bash games (the International and Big Bash games should be sell outs).

Putting a stand on the hill doesn't mean the scoreboard has to go. They can simply move the scoreboard to be situation between the stands like the TV screens are between the riverbank and eastern/western stands. And lets be honest, with the SMA made up of SACA and SANFL, if they can get a new stand built that costs them bugger all but in return provides them with a lot more income, you dont think they will say no do you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Oval is the only ground that has got this that I know off.

It is recommended that users of wheelchairs, powered wheelchairs and scooters at the Adelaide Oval are insured for third party damage to people and property.

Last edited:
Yes AO is multi purpose, but the majority of the income now is going to come from footy. 22 h&a games + any finals will provide a hell of a lot more income than half a dozen shield games @1k punters per game, 1 or 2 international games and half a dozen Big Bash games (the International and Big Bash games should be sell outs).

Putting a stand on the hill doesn't mean the scoreboard has to go. They can simply move the scoreboard to be situation between the stands like the TV screens are between the riverbank and eastern/western stands. And lets be honest, with the SMA made up of SACA and SANFL, if they can get a new stand built that costs them bugger all but in return provides them with a lot more income, you dont think they will say no do you?

So who is gifting the proposed new stand?

And shit grass from no sun, and a delapidated AO which is no longer up to Cricket Australia's standards and thus gets no international cricket. But that's cool coz we got footy.
And an out of date hospital falling apart.

There is no need to increase the capacity of Adelaide Oval. Reckon they got the size just about right, and it has created arguably the best stadium in Australia. Not increasing the supply of seats will help the clubs, as it will increase the desirability of getting a ticket and demand for memberships. Just look at some of the small Melbourne clubs, where they play in stadiums that are too big, and people don't need to buy a membership to watch them. When the teams have down years, they are screwed.

Also, a bigger AO would be way too big for cricket, with the waiting list for SACA memberships bugger all now. AO already has a bigger capacity than the SCG.

There is no need to increase the capacity of Adelaide Oval. Reckon they got the size just about right, and it has created arguably the best stadium in Australia. Not increasing the supply of seats will help the clubs, as it will increase the desirability of getting a ticket and demand for memberships. Just look at some of the small Melbourne clubs, where they play in stadiums that are too big, and people don't need to buy a membership to watch them. When the teams have down years, they are screwed.

Also, a bigger AO would be way too big for cricket, with the waiting list for SACA memberships bugger all now. AO already has a bigger capacity than the SCG.

Yep totally agree. While it's great to have the G as a 100k capacity stadium in Victoria, with no regular grand final and only 2 clubs, it makes more sense to limit the capacity somewhat in SA and WA so that there is always demand.

Adelaide Oval has been one of the biggest success stories of 2014. It has had nine 50,000+ crowds this year. That is fabulous for football in Adelaide

It has been beyond my wildest dreams. Let's just hope the stadium deal is right and both clubs are making the sort of money they should be making from this enormous success story.

I'm expecting 35-40k for NYE Strikers game. 30k for the rest if they don't start sucking like last summer. First few days of the Test as well. T20 International should get 40k as well but then it is in early November which may hurt it a little.

India v Pakistan is sold out (I got seats right under the camera bay!!) and the semi should if Australia make it. England v Bangladesh, Pakistan v Ireland will get 15-20K, some walk-ups...I probably will if I get the chance.

I'm expecting 35-40k for NYE Strikers game. 30k for the rest if they don't start sucking like last summer. First few days of the Test as well. T20 International should get 40k as well but then it is in early November which may hurt it a little.

India v Pakistan is sold out (I got seats right under the camera bay!!) and the semi should if Australia make it. England v Bangladesh, Pakistan v Ireland will get 15-20K, some walk-ups...I probably will if I get the chance.

It will be the quarter final if the Aussies make it.

They will definitely get 40,000 Plus for the Adelaide United v Melb Victory Match on 17th October too, should be a big summer at Adelaide Oval!

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back