Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Just regarding not being able to see the score, I was sitting in the eastern stand and couldn't see the score on the video screen opposite me, contrast or colour not quite good enough for my eyesight, though I don't have the same problem at the MCG. The old scoreboard and the screen next to it are not in view, and the other screen is mostly obscured as well. I used my phone to check the score. The screens seem a little small to me, but that's just my opinion. Handrails also obscure part of the view, but we can't have people falling down the exits so I'll have to live with that until I've finished using the hacksaw....

I'd like to see the below type of score displayed at Adelaide Oval in a couple of locations. Footy Park used to have a basic one as well.
upload_2014-5-16_11-55-0.png

I'd like to see the below type of score displayed at Adelaide Oval in a couple of locations. Footy Park used to have a basic one as well.
View attachment 56901
Is it possible that they just need to use more contrasting colours (possibly at the expense of navy/gold/red or black/white/teal) and make it a bit bigger? Leave it on the 3 screens and manual scoreboard though.

It was a goal by the following Laws of Australian Football:

The Field Umpire didn't hear the siren until after the ball was kicked, and presumably after the ball went through the goals, because he didn't signal that he had heard it until after he gave the all-clear for the goal. If he had heard it while the ball was in transit, he would have signaled end of quarter immediately.
So because the Field Umpire hadn't heard the siren, the quarter was still going, and therefore the goal stands.

Did he kick it before the timekeeper pressed the button and the siren sounded? Unknown, but I think so. It doesn't change the fact that it was a goal because it was kicked before the Field Umpire heard the siren.

But yes, a louder siren is needed.

Apparently the siren is as loud as what is legal at 105db. Any louder and you may start causing hearing damage.

Apparently the siren is as loud as what is legal at 105db. Any louder and you may start causing hearing damage.
Which I don't understand. The one at the MCG is loud enough (albeit just) on Grand Final day with 100,000+ in there.

Don't mind the idea of having not on an audible siren but also a visual one. Something like lights on top of the goal posts, on the scoreboard etc so you can see on the replay exactly when the siren goes. If the big bash can have light up stumps to indicate exactly when the bail is removed, then surely there can be a led strips on the goal posts that light up when the time keeper clicks the button.

Did he kick it before the timekeeper pressed the button and the siren sounded? Unknown, but I think so. It doesn't change the fact that it was a goal because it was kicked before the Field Umpire heard the siren.

The time keeper has confirmed that ball was kicked BEFORE the siren. Case closed[/QUOTE]

The time keeper has confirmed that ball was kicked BEFORE the siren. Case closed
[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure I had it sewn shut before that :p

Which I don't understand. The one at the MCG is loud enough (albeit just) on Grand Final day with 100,000+ in there.
MCG siren this year has moved to an audio one over the PA. Previously you couldn't hear it with a crowd of over 65-70k ish. In fact the PA itself is about 100 times louder this year much like AAMI Parks at Swan St when you are defended at Melb Victory games by it.

The one at AAMI was over the PA, and everybody knew because they'd be in the middle of talking or playing a song and you'd get that "it's gotta be AAMI Stadium" "bLLLLRLRRRRRR" siren sound cut through all other PA feeds.

What were peoples thoughts on Thursday night footy? Personally I loved it and judging by the amount of people that went, I was not the only one. Think it'll be back next year whether it be Port or Crows but IMO it must be a big club. Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs on thursday night will not work.

Travelled from Melbourne to watch the game.
Poor quality game, ordinary skills from both sides.
Very impressed with the stadium though.
Just need to fix up the dirt / construction outside the north & east gates.

The one at AAMI was over the PA, and everybody knew because they'd be in the middle of talking or playing a song and you'd get that "it's gotta be AAMI Stadium" "bLLLLRLRRRRRR" siren sound cut through all other PA feeds.
It was more like a warning siren than a pissy horn.

Must have been a N/A residence KPI , us footy supporter's keep braking them they may send us all off to HR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just need to fix up the dirt / construction outside the north & east gates.
Getting there. Project timeline was for stadium to be completed by late March for Round 2. Prioritised that over everything else.
They've got until about the end of the footy season before they have to return that land to the Council.

What were peoples thoughts on Thursday night footy? Personally I loved it and judging by the amount of people that went, I was not the only one. Think it'll be back next year whether it be Port or Crows but IMO it must be a big club. Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs on thursday night will not work.

Thursday night football is a logistical nightmare if you're working in the suburbs during the day (same with Friday night football) but that's all part of the experience, and it's worked.

Having the right opponent in that time slot is key as well - we only have to look at the St Kilda v Carlton crowd Monday night to see what happens when it's two average sides playing.

ok love the stadium. my only issues are... the price of alcohol and how long it takes to get a beer...and trying to get a beer on the hill is impossible

I've been to 6 games at Adelaide Oval and sat in almost every spot available, and have never had an issue seeing the score. I've sat top tier in the east, top tier in the south, west stand, the hill and still never felt like I can't see the score.

I was in the bottom part of the top tier in the south, so I'm not sure what it's like right up the top.

ok love the stadium. my only issues are... the price of alcohol and how long it takes to get a beer...and trying to get a beer on the hill is impossible
Theres a knack to it. Most people line up in a big way at the western entrance of the scoreboard bar, move through to the eastern entrance and slide in, the lines are much shorter :thumbsu:

I've been to 6 games at Adelaide Oval and sat in almost every spot available, and have never had an issue seeing the score. I've sat top tier in the east, top tier in the south, west stand, the hill and still never felt like I can't see the score.

I was in the bottom part of the top tier in the south, so I'm not sure what it's like right up the top.
I'm glad they've fixed that, I remember sitting up the to of the old Chappell Stands and having the light tower right in the way of the screen on the hill, had to wait for the crowds reaction to find out the third umpire's call.

From my spot in the Riverbank stand, I can see the gametime on the southwest screen, and the team names on the southeast screen, not actual scores. Cant read the northern screen scoreboard with my eyesight, so I just keep a count on the margin in my head. :D

I'm glad they've fixed that, I remember sitting up the to of the old Chappell Stands and having the light tower right in the way of the screen on the hill, had to wait for the crowds reaction to find out the third umpire's call.
AdelaideOval2.jpg

Can't have been many places where that was an issue.
I know sitting lower down in the western concourse seating near the fence the sight screen sometimes obscured parts of the scoreboard/replay screen though.

From my spot in the Riverbank stand, I can see the gametime on the southwest screen, and the team names on the southeast screen, not actual scores. Cant read the northern screen scoreboard with my eyesight, so I just keep a count on the margin in my head. :D
nn9xko.jpg

Would that help?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back