Adelaide: Too Small for Two Teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by jozeph
More serial killers in Adelaide per head of population.

Better watch out they cross the border, after all South Australia was not founded as a penal colony. We must send all the crimminals back from where they came...Victoria and NSW;)

Originally posted by Porthos
So thats an average of 22,384 against non-local sides, isn't it. Explain to me again how your club's supporters are paragon of attendance.

Thats 3,000 less than Port's worst for this year (and your 18,000 figure vs Port is about 2000 over the mark from the stats I'm seeing). Its nearly 6000 worse on average.

Originally posted by NorthBoi96
Well if thats the case, how come Adelaide consistently get 43,000+ everyweek no matter who the opposition????
That would be because they have what is commonly known in the trade as `more supporters'.

When Port had flogged Essendon and Hawthorn within successive weeks at home.... they only got 26,000 to the game vs Dogs.............
It is the Dogs. Also, how come your mob don't draw as well as Collingwood? You've both got 400,000 people to work with by your math.

On the other hand, Adelaide who were flogged by North and Brisbane... there next home game vs St Kilda got 47,000 and the next one drew 46,000 vs Essendon..... work it out...
I'm pretty sure I've got that one worked out.

That is the very point i am making kane....

Adelaide is a city with what roughly 1.5 million people?
Now, do the maths. 2,000,000 Divided by 2= 1,000,000 each.....

Now look at the city of MELBOURNE....
10 teams..... 3 million people.
Do the Maths. 4,000,000 Divided by 10= 400,000 each

Adelaide city, have a much larger range of people who are unsigned.... i would expect no less than 40,000 people to Power games.....

Doesnt work that way does it.

Originally posted by Angry Dragon
Now Adelaide is a traditional football state, however with their stagnant population, lack of employment and high crime rate. Is it a good place for two teams?

Perth has two teams and no plans for a third, yet Adelaideans call for ANOTHER team. Why? They will not be able to support two in the future. Perth's population is expected to double with no thought for an extra team, so how the hell can Adelaide support two or even three?

Adelaide is a crappy little hell hole with no future. The way the Crows are heading is a good sign of the way the city is going.

Discuss.

yawn :rolleyes:

Rd 3 Vs Carlton (MCG): 37,862

Rd 10 Vs Collingwood (TD): 44,421

Rd 11 Vs Richmond (TD): 31,700

I trust you have already halved the attendance as there are 2 'home' teams here.

to claim these as your own supporters I presume no less than 65,000 attended any of the above fixtures?

if not please explain how these are all North Melbourne supporters?

Well if thats the case, how come Adelaide consistently get 43,000+ everyweek no matter who the opposition????

When Port had flogged Essendon and Hawthorn within successive weeks at home.... they only got 26,000 to the game vs Dogs.............

On the other hand, Adelaide who were flogged by North and Brisbane... there next home game vs St Kilda got 47,000 and the next one drew 46,000 vs Essendon..... work it out...

Why don't you take your $1.5 million per year hand out and shut up. We make a profit. And no one is thinking of closing our club down. Our future unlike yours is safe.

ok. here are North Melbourne's Home game attendances this year (IN MELBOURNE), just keep in mind, that there are normally 4 games in Melbourne in the one weekend, compared to the 1 game per week in Adelaide.....

Home attendances in MELBOURNE, I am not counting Canberra)

Rd 1 Vs Adelaide (MCG): 21,231

Rd 3 Vs Carlton (MCG): 37,862

Rd 7 Vs Brisbane (TD): 27,511

Rd 8 Vs Port Adelaide (TD): 18,410

Rd 10 Vs Collingwood (TD): 44,421

Rd 11 Vs Richmond (TD): 31,700

Total home MELBOURNE attendances: 181,135
Average home MELBOURNE attendances: 30,189

Not bad, for a "struggling shi*thouse, minnow basketcase", is it???

Basically words from the mouth of former Essendon Chairman, Graham Fatty McMahon.
So you have conveniently left out your home game played in Canberra. Funny that. Also, your 1st paragraph is full of excuses. Bottom line is that the Crows will always be selling out crowds unlike your proud club, which means that we have effectively been subsidising your bailouts (not that I have a problem with that) ... yet you want to remove an SA club ... & you reckon I know nothing about football. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

Home Port Adelaide Crowds 2004:

Rd1 Vs Essendon: 28,413

Rd3 Vs Hawthorn: 27,421

Rd5 Vs Bulldogs: 26,839

Rd6 Vs Collingwood: 31,174

Rd7 Vs Adelaide: 43,243 (showdown.... poor turnout)

Rd9 Vs Richmond: 25,761

Rd10 Vs Geelong: 29,177

Total as at Rd 11 2004: 204,201
Average for Season 2004: 29,171

Those crowds are extremely poor IMO... very poor indeed, for a 2 team town......... questions need to be asked...
Crowds and stats provided from PAFC

Well to me I think they are great when compared to a club like North Melbourne, I mean Melbourne has three times our population, 5 times the amount of clubs yet when your mob hosts an interstate team you don't even get over 20k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2001 census counted 1,467,261 people in the entire state of SA. I think your math is a bit off.

When Port start taking from the balance fund rather than contribute, you will have a point. Facts are, that there are 7-8 clubs taking more money out of football than us every year. Those that recieve more from the balance fund than they contribute.

Now Adelaide is a traditional football state, however with their stagnant population, lack of employment and high crime rate. Is it a good place for two teams?

Perth has two teams and no plans for a third, yet Adelaideans call for ANOTHER team. Why? They will not be able to support two in the future. Perth's population is expected to double with no thought for an extra team, so how the hell can Adelaide support two or even three?

Adelaide is a crappy little hell hole with no future. The way the Crows are heading is a good sign of the way the city is going.

Discuss.

would you of said this last year about the crows?

That is the very point i am making kane....

Now look at the city of MELBOURNE....
10 teams..... 3 million people.
Do the Maths. 4,000,000 Divided by 10= 400,000 each

Adelaide city, have a much larger range of people who are unsigned.... i would expect no less than 40,000 people to Power games.....
you cant have a go at adelaide, they always get a croud around 40,000 to each game, and dont forget all the people that turn up and try to buy tickets at gates after the tickets have sold out.

this just shows that alot of people do support them, do you get 40,000 to every game in melb, no, so you cant just look at supporter bases, if they dont get the crouds

also, what clubs have been strugling the last few years, have they been from adelaide....NO

Adelaide sell a lot of tickets, supposedly Saturday's game was a sellout (53000 capacity IIRC, unless that has dropped majorly with the new seating) yet the crowd figure was 41000. That means 12000 people have tickets and didn't bother to roll up.

Originally posted by Docker_Brat
Adelaide sell a lot of tickets, supposedly Saturday's game was a sellout (53000 capacity IIRC, unless that has dropped majorly with the new seating) yet the crowd figure was 41000. That means 12000 people have tickets and didn't bother to roll up.

indeed the game was a sellout...

the majority that would not have "rolled" up would b those season ticket holders and SANFL members that have Saturday afternoon sporting commitments...the AFL has been informed on many occassions by the AFC that Saturday arvo games do nothing for attendances...

Discuss.

Confused Dragon, I don't know where you get your information about South Australians wanting a 3rd team as that has not been a talking point here in Adelaide. There were always going to be 2 AFL licences and once the AFC was born in 1990 it was only a case of who would get the 2nd licence - Port Adelaide or the combined bid of Norwood/Sturt.

1.Port and the Crows had to pay a $4M licence fee to join AFL and unlike most of the Melbourne clubs and a couple of "interstate" clubs consistently make profits and contributions to grass roots football in SANFL.

2. Adelaide is top ranked club for membership (season tickets) and Port Adelaide is 5th with only Adelaide, Collingwood, Essendon, West Coast ahead of it.

3. Excluding the under 18 AFL competition, South Australia has had more players drafted than any other state.

If that's unhealthy, then some of the other clubs in the AFL must be on a life support system.

Re: Re: Adelaide: Too Small for Two Teams?

Originally posted by Jars458
Statistics please.
Not sure of the exact numbers but didn't the non refundable Port GF gurantee theft from members shoot the SA crime figures to number one?

Re: Re: Re: Adelaide: Too Small for Two Teams?

Originally posted by MarkT
Not sure of the exact numbers but didn't the non refundable Port GF gurantee theft from members shoot the SA crime figures to number one?

Not if you include all the extra people everywhere else pay for guaranteed GF tickets in their membership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide: Too Small for Two Teams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back