Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone is suggesting McDonagh is cause of all our issues. Only, its a perplexing draft decision to go for a mature aged player who is not ready to play and kind of feels like he was drafted as a feel good story rather then football ability.

The Hobbs pick to quote Dodo ‘fell in our lap’ it’s not as though we used any draft day savvy to snap him up. In fact, I could not believe that Essendon wasn’t even on Hobbs radar. I don’t think we interviewed him. We seemed not to do our due diligence on the kid and Dodo seemed genuinely surprised he fell to us despite many amateur mock drafts around the place saying he’s a potential slider to our pick. It felt like he was a ‘no brainer pick’ but even so surely with an entire year of draft analysis we are in convos with Hobbs close to the draft.
Hobbs may have fallen into our lap but they knew what he was and calk d his name. They could have easily passed but obviously they had him high on their list so luck or no luck they rated him and rated him higher than our pick . They did not just say everyone else rates him so we better pick him.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting McDonagh is cause of all our issues. Only, its a perplexing draft decision to go for a mature aged player who is not ready to play and kind of feels like he was drafted as a feel good story rather then football ability.

The Hobbs pick to quote Dodo ‘fell in our lap’ it’s not as though we used any draft day savvy to snap him up. In fact, I could not believe that Essendon wasn’t even on Hobbs radar. I don’t think we interviewed him. We seemed not to do our due diligence on the kid and Dodo seemed genuinely surprised he fell to us despite many amateur mock drafts around the place saying he’s a potential slider to our pick. It felt like he was a ‘no brainer pick’ but even so surely with an entire year of draft analysis we are in convos with Hobbs close to the draft.

There’s a reason he fell to our pick.

Good to see Ned Cahill improving in the VFL.

Yes. Refer Myers v Rioli (2007).

Oh come on, that's just stupid.

Rioli was not in the frame for our pick, beyond people like you who just got seduced by the last name.

Not to mention we had already drafted Leroy Jetta and Alwyn Davey in the previous draft.

Last edited:
Or Durham worked out well, let's try that again.
26yo running defender strikes me as a pick when you're padding maturity to a proven list.

Add it to the list of questions for the list mgmt team

Or Durham worked out well, let's try that again.
26yo running defender strikes me as a pick when you're padding maturity to a proven list.

Add it to the list of questions for the list mgmt team

Right idea, wrong player perhaps.

We definitely have issues with our ball movement out of the back-half and that Hind is the only player on the list who can break-lines which makes him very easy to stop.

A guy who kicks like Daniel Rich would be a great addition back there, but is probably not as progressed as supporters would have hoped a guy at his age would be. Ideally you'd want him to be putting selection pressure on the back-line such that Heppell, Redman and Hind could all conceivably be replaced by him.

I wonder whether we'll see Heppell play 200 and out given I don't think he's offering all that much to the team right now. Which opens up a spot off half-back (IMO Francis should be given first chance there) for a different kind of player. Maybe McDonagh is a guy who can come in and impact there if he's such a great user.

Maybe so but is one wrong selection the root of all our issues ? they took a chance on a bloke who showed some initiative to improve himself and had some of the blue collar attitude they liked. They will never get them all correct and at least he is not a Houlihan or Morgan type. They got him wrong. I suspect they have Lord wrong as well. Hobbs is a win. Not so great so far yes. I could find you over 100 just as ridiculous selections.
No it obviously isn’t. If you can find me top 50 draft picks that have hardly starred at vfl and are 26yo, and are meant to be a ready made option I’ll be waiting. 18-19yo draft picks are hit and miss all the time, you can live with those. I’d like to see lord after another preseason before we know what he is, although I agree at the moment it doesn’t look great.

Right idea, wrong player perhaps.

We definitely have issues with our ball movement out of the back-half and that Hind is the only player on the list who can break-lines which makes him very easy to stop.

A guy who kicks like Daniel Rich would be a great addition back there, but is probably not as progressed as supporters would have hoped a guy at his age would be. Ideally you'd want him to be putting selection pressure on the back-line such that Heppell, Redman and Hind could all conceivably be replaced by him.

I wonder whether we'll see Heppell play 200 and out given I don't think he's offering all that much to the team right now. Which opens up a spot off half-back (IMO Francis should be given first chance there) for a different kind of player. Maybe McDonagh is a guy who can come in and impact there if he's such a great user.
Francis in for Heppell would be the move I'd make. give the kid the year to show he can shine in his preferred spot.
I'd be doing this with Cox at CHB and Reid at FB as well.

We'll have a strong draft hand this year and should absolutely be used to continue to build.
Add to that, we'll have $$ we a) need and b) should spend to put some decent talent into the side and not make this a super slow burn build.

Under all this, we should be looking at mature, AFL ready talent to get the VFL team humming, but also have better depth to call on.

This needn't be more than 2022-2023 as down years.

Francis in for Heppell would be the move I'd make. give the kid the year to show he can shine in his preferred spot.
I'd be doing this with Cox at CHB and Reid at FB as well.

We'll have a strong draft hand this year and should absolutely be used to continue to build.
Add to that, we'll have $$ we a) need and b) should spend to put some decent talent into the side and not make this a super slow burn build.

Under all this, we should be looking at mature, AFL ready talent to get the VFL team humming, but also have better depth to call on.

This needn't be more than 2022-2023 as down years.

Agree Cox needs to be playing not-Wing. CHF / HFF might be more necessary from a team perspective right now, but stick him in a position he knows well and let him get some confidence back.

With our cap space we should well and truly be able to find some ready-to-go players to bring in like we did with Kelly last off-season and Wright the one prior.

Agree Cox needs to be playing not-Wing. CHF / HFF might be more necessary from a team perspective right now, but stick him in a position he knows well and let him get some confidence back.

With our cap space we should well and truly be able to find some ready-to-go players to bring in like we did with Kelly last off-season and Wright the one prior.
Agree with Cox not playing wing. Part of me thinks that if we go hard with McGrath, Ridley, Cox and Reid as mainstays in our defence we can build one of the strongest back lines in the comp moving forward. It would be great to have a point of difference somewhere on the field… that could be it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently it's Josh Mahoney
Interesting. So we promoted Dodo (to GM), you would assume with a comensurate salary increase, but reduced his responsibilities.

Sounds like something Essington would do.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maybe so but is one wrong selection the root of all our issues ? they took a chance on a bloke who showed some initiative to improve himself and had some of the blue collar attitude they liked. They will never get them all correct and at least he is not a Houlihan or Morgan type. They got him wrong. I suspect they have Lord wrong as well. Hobbs is a win. Not so great so far yes. I could find you over 100 just as ridiculous selections.
They did get Martin 1000% right.

The team would be his acolytes but mahoney, if he's anything like the operator he was at melbourne, will be pulling strings on the list...ideally based on inputs from rutten.

Stands to reason if mahoney has the control he should have, what is dodoros role?
Mahoney can manage trades. Can manage free agency signings.
RFK and rutten surely enough to manage a draft.
Spot. On.

Remember his shit eating grin and fist pump when he thought he had hoodwinked the rest of the comp by selecting Irving Mosquito?
And while you couldn't have predicted his injuries it was a speculative pick at 38. We haven't been in a position to go speculative in the 2nd round for how many years?

You live and die by the sword and on this it's a bad pick.

Dodoro needs to move on for his own well being and Essendon's. FFS the club hasn't won a final since 2004, he can have a discount for the draft hand he was dealt with ASADA sanctions but heck me c'mon.

He hasn't been successful for over 15 years, yet is the GM for list and recruitment - you can not make this shit up.

I still don't understand how he is at the club despite people still defending his position at the club.

He's not head of drafting. Rob Forster - Knight is

He's not head of list management. Those decisions go through Josh Mahoney and co.

So what the **** is he still doing at my football club? Good talker or not. Time to say arivadecci

I still don't understand how he is at the club despite people still defending his position at the club.

He's not head of drafting. Rob Forster - Knight is

He's not head of list management. Those decisions go through Josh Mahoney and co.

So what the fu** is he still doing at my football club? Good talker or not. Time to say arivadecci
It's who you know, not what you know.

And while you couldn't have predicted his injuries it was a speculative pick at 38. We haven't been in a position to go speculative in the 2nd round for how many years?

You live and die by the sword and on this it's a bad pick.
who were our smalls at the time though?
Tippa. Snelling came the year after. Guelfi was likely viewed more as a small mid/def at the time.

I think Mosquito, then Cahill a bit later (and Johnson)
Really loaded up on small forwards and two talls (Jones and Bryan)
Had we not bid on Mosquito and gone Bytel, I reckon we view this draft differently.

Moreover, when Tigers bid on Eyre
We had Jones, Wright, Ridley, Francis, Cox and Reid. Plus Brand later & Baldwin clearly on the radar.
Does our list team have the nerve to let an NGA slide when there is, for example, a Jack Carroll a pick or two away.

Would add, we're terrible at live trading. I think we've successfully done so once (Jones)

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back