Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
I’m operating on the assumption we can’t actually just sack him, the next best option is to promote him far, far above the point where he has any real impact on the day to day.
We've already had people say we've done that.

Him going is the only palatable option.

I’m operating on the assumption we can’t actually just sack him, the next best option is to promote him far, far above the point where he has any real impact on the day to day.
awkward office space GIF

You don't need to sack him. Just stop paying him and it'll take care of itself.

I can’t remember who said it, but one of my favourite posts on here was around this time last year from someone who said that we should consider making dodo senior coach. Not because he’d make a great coach, but because it might be the only way we’d consider sacking him.

That really made me laugh, but now the sad thing is that I’d almost consider taking that option if it were available.

Watching McCluggage have a ripper of a game last week was a beautiful reminder that everyone could see he was the obvious #1 pick in 2016... until we got the Dodoro special :drunk:
Not everyone. A few thought Taranto was and I still think he was the fit for us. How well do you think McCluggage would be doing with our midfield ? Great player . Better than McGrath. May not be as effective in our system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching McCluggage have a ripper of a game last week was a beautiful reminder that everyone could see he was the obvious #1 pick in 2016... until we got the Dodoro special :drunk:
"as a rebounding defender, who kickstarts the play and breaks the lines. But he has also shown he can easily shift into the midfield"

Avengers Endgame GIF

McGrath over Taranto and McCluggage was a bad decision. But in my mind the really bad decisions came after that.

Trading out of the subsequent drafts so that we had no high selections from 2017-2019, and then trading in to 2020, which was a complete unknown given the pandemic. 2020 is really looking like a disaster for us as we only have one player who's shown he can be half decent. The rest are looking doubtful at this stage.

I really feel like the void of talent from 2017-2020 is going to come back to bite us hard.

McGrath over Taranto and McCluggage was a bad decision. But in my mind the really bad decisions came after that.

Trading out of the subsequent drafts so that we had no high selections from 2017-2019, and then trading in to 2020, which was a complete unknown given the pandemic. 2020 is really looking like a disaster for us as we only have one player who's shown he can be half decent. The rest are looking doubtful at this stage.

I really feel like the void of talent from 2017-2020 is going to come back to bite us hard.
Trading into 2020 was a bit out of our hands.
Perhaps a carlton f1 to trade to the dogs for dunkley would have been the go.
The club as a whole made a mess of daniher and fantasia in '19

It already is, that should be the demographic filling out our prime emerging players right now.

That 2017 draft has players like Sam Taylor & Tom De Koning who are really starting to emerge as KPPs this season (Taylor was also good last season). 2018 has guys of the Caldwell, Butters, Rozee cohort, the latter two are now genuinely good AFL midfielders without the injury issues Caldwell has had. Then 2019 has got guys like Kosi Pickett, Sam De Koning and Tom Green all playing important roles.

We've backfilled a little by bringing in players like Caldwell and Setterfield to pad out that age bracket.

Misreading the list position and bringing in Shiel was a pretty bad error given Daniher had missed most of 2018 already and we had basically built the side around him being a generational FF.

It feels like this club is always backfilling for a missed period of 3-4 drafts. I ******* swear I've read the same thing since at least 2004.

It's like a self inflicted purgatory.

It's an endless cycle; spend current draft picks trading in players to backfill past hole, creating a new hole which in 3 - 5 years you'll backfill!

It feels like this club is always backfilling for a missed period of 3-4 drafts. I ******* swear I've read the same thing since at least 2004.

It's like a self inflicted purgatory.
I fully agree.

To me this is a sign of dysfunctional list management that is lacking a coherent strategy. It really seems like the strategy has been a fully reactive one that involves filling the holes that they have themselves created through poorly executed planning and foresight. The "best player available" motto hasn't helped either and has at least partially led to an imbalanced list.

We need to be much more proactive and strategic in building the type of list we want and then seeing things through, without overrating our list as soon as we have a string of decent wins.

It's an endless cycle; spend current draft picks trading in players to backfill past hole, creating a new hole which in 3 - 5 years you'll backfill!
One of the most disappointing elements is that the draft capital we did have over the past 5-6 years we have often used on key defenders: Reid, Cox, Francis, Hayes, etc. Yet in 2023, we are apparently intending to recruit McKay to help fill a hole in defence.

I fully agree.

To me this is a sign of dysfunctional list management that is lacking a coherent strategy. It really seems like the strategy has been a fully reactive one that involves filling the holes that they have themselves created through poorly executed planning and foresight. The "best player available" motto hasn't helped either and has at least partially led to an imbalanced list.

We need to be much more proactive and strategic in building the type of list we want and then seeing things through, without overrating our list as soon as we have a string of decent wins.
All well and good to say that, but we haven't had any kind of stability around strategy in order to plan a build. Even Bomber took the side a different way to Hird. So you're criticising a list manager that started to build for Knights, had to change tack for Hird, had a couple of seasons of interruption where it probably should have been blown up but couldn't for optics, then had no direction under Worsfold, and so on. Shifting sands.

One of the most disappointing elements is that the draft capital we did have over the past 5-6 years we have often used on key defenders: Reid, Cox, Francis, Hayes, etc. Yet in 2023, we are apparently intending to recruit McKay to help fill a hole in defence.
Or tall defenders who can't play on a bloke but gee they look good zoning off.

I fully agree.

All of this, well put.

I fully agree.

Everyone in the management bar one bloke has changed in the last couple of years. Dodoro is still here which is not great but it is under different circumstances as he has not got a coach who does not really give a toss who gets picked up and the new CEO has been hired to focus on football. We also have a GM of performance for the first time ever.

I agree with everyone on Dodoro being moved on but you can not really say we have he same management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back