Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cliff notes:
  • Stepping back from his current senior role following the 2023 AFL Draft
  • Transition plan, raised the possibility with Vozzo in April
  • Replacement is Matt Rosa, whose thread is here: Welcome to Essendon Matthew Rosa – AFL Talent & Operations Manager!
Full text from media release said:
To coincide with this announcement, the Club’s General Manager of List and Recruiting, Adrian Dodoro, has made the decision to take a step back from his current senior role following this year’s NAB AFL National Draft. He will lead the Club through the upcoming 2023 Trade and Draft period in his current position prior to transitioning to and assisting Matt Rosa moving forward.
Dodoro, an Essendon Life Member, has played a significant role at the Bombers over nearly three decades and said the time was right to take a step back.
“I approached Craig back in April to discuss the concept of transition and I feel that now is the right time to make this decision,” Dodoro said.
"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward.
“These roles are very taxing on individuals and their families and it just feels like that. After nearly three decades and with stability in key roles at the Club, now is the right time for me to take a step back in to a role which will provide me and my family with a better work life balance.
“More immediately, we have an important few months coming up and I’m looking forward to playing my part to deliver a strong Trade and Draft period for the Club to ensure that the playing list is in a strong position for the future.”
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo acknowledged the significant impact Dodoro has made at the Club since joining in a full-time role in 1998.
“Adrian is a highly respected Life Member of the Essendon Football Club and has made an enormous contribution to the Club and the wider AFL industry during his time in football, including assisting to navigate the Club through unprecedented and challenging periods,” Vozzo said.
“Throughout his time at the Bombers, Adrian’s commitment and passion to take the Club forward in its list management and recruiting, has been unquestionable. Some of the Champions of Essendon have been identified and selected by Adrian, and we will always be grateful for the important and enduring role he has played.
“On behalf of the entire Club, we would like to acknowledge Adrian’s selfless decision and we look forward to his ongoing contribution to the Club.
“Adrian will work with Matt to ensure a smooth hand-over and a successful transition of responsibilities.”

Last edited:
The difference is essendon’s recruiting goes from absolutely pathetic to acceptable/decent, whereas other teams go from good to great.
Is that our recruiting or player development? We haven't really taken anyone who was thought of as a bit of a reach at the time.

I’m tipping this thread will still be in the top 20 in 2034.
He'll be President of the club then, and just before the 2034 trading period starts (our 30 year anniversary just come and gone) he'll do a Slobbo propaganda piece about how we are about to launch up the ladder from our lackluster 11th place finish as he's going to directly oversee the trade and draft period.

Is that our recruiting or player development? We haven't really taken anyone who was thought of as a bit of a reach at the time.
If there have been no risky selections, then why not just go with the phantom draft and save ourselves a salary of several hundred k per year?

Also, why does it have to be either/or? Clearly it is both. The difference is though that recruitment at our club have historically been a protected species whereas our development has been turned over several times to no avail.

It also doesn’t explain why the development coaches who were successful elsewhere suddenly failed to work their magic upon arrival at essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Were the long term contracts for McGrath and Parish just an attempt to shore up some ‘face’ for Dodo? Now at least two of our zillions of first round picks for the last decade have a chance to pull on the sash for 150+ games

Were the long term contracts for McGrath and Parish just an attempt to shore up some ‘face’ for Dodo? Now at least two of our zillions of first round picks for the last decade have a chance to pull on the sash for 150+ games
I think it may have been player managers playing Dodoro a bit along the lines that 5 years plus is what everyone is offering.

I think it may have been player managers playing Dodoro a bit along the lines that 5 years plus is what everyone is offering.
It was his job to know what's happening across the league in terms of short, standard and long contracts and the type of player that commands what sort of contract.

That sounds pretty amateur, therefore in the case of Dodoro it's thoroughly believable that he'd get played by the player managers, they'd just need to let Dodoro think he's the smartest guy in the room during the negotiation.

Been saying this all along Nicko, I’m not 100% convinced the maggot has gone.
No chance's he's coming back, Been pushed out the door very methodically by Craig, him and Sheeds are being left in the dust and the club is moving on instead of looking in the rear view mirror

It was his job to know what's happening across the league in terms of short, standard and long contracts and the type of player that commands what sort of contract.

That sounds pretty amateur, therefore in the case of Dodoro it's thoroughly believable that he'd get played by the player managers, they'd just need to let Dodoro think he's the smartest guy in the room during the negotiation.
Well it has been the norm recently. Plenty of 5 or 6 or 7 year deals being handed out.
But it is the reason he has been pushed out before this years negotiations.

Well it has been the norm recently. Plenty of 5 or 6 or 7 year deals being handed out.
Mostly for players that are in demand elsewhere. It was earlier in this thread or perhaps the non-Essendon thread where someone listed a heap of the longer term contracts and really the only one that didn't make much sense to me was Brennan Cox.

I can't recall any interest in Parish and McGrath to justify locking them in for such terms. All I was eluding to was it making sense that Dodoro had possibly been duped by player managers in those cases.

stk still in the back alley eating fish skeletons and apple cores off a rubbish tin lid

Speaking of fish skeletons on rubbish bin lids... how much is dylan shiel contracted for next year by the great man?

Is it an even million or more like 1.2million?

We'll eat that fish skeleton right off the bin lid and pay his whole contract if you want to send him across with a first rounder?

No chance's he's coming back, Been pushed out the door very methodically by Craig, him and Sheeds are being left in the dust and the club is moving on instead of looking in the rear view mirror
I desperately hope you’re right, but I’ll believe when it happens (though not even then probably).
I suspect you need garlic, a crucifix and silver bullets to stick the landing. Then, maybe…

Apparently, dodo would hand out generous contracts as a way to curry favour with players, growing his power base. Can’t recall where I heard it though.

I desperately hope you’re right, but I’ll believe when it happens (though not even then probably).
I suspect you need garlic, a crucifix and silver bullets to stick the landing. Then, maybe…
I think it's pretty clear by the way the club have handled it. Some people (like myself) just want the messy outcome with a head on a pike . I've seen comments from people saying that this is how you remove rusted on employees with deep ties

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy Dept. Adrian Dodoro - Leaving EFC. #putoutyourjackets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back