NFL AFC South Preview 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's everyone's opinion of the AFC South this season.

Here's some views

Colts - Once again will depend on Manning along with probably best receiving corp & OL in the division will ensure they win the div again. Running game needs to improve on last season. Addai and Brown could be a dangerous duo.

Still holes on D. DTs are a weakness and LBs not strong. A lot will depend on DBs and Freeney again.

Titans - How big a loss is Haynesworth? They won against Steelers last season without him but a think they'll struggle to cover for a whole season. Some of the DL will find it tougher with more focus on them. Average LBs but pretty strong on DBs.

Can Collins hold up? He better because I reckon Young is a dud. Have Nate Washington and Kenny Britt now to help a poor receiving corp. A lot will depend on Johnson and White. WRs have to improve to stop teams putting 8 in the box.

Texans - Well this could be OUR year, maybe first time playoffs and winning season. I reckon they could win 8-9 games.

A lot depends on Schaub especially with Orlovsky and Grossman as back ups (actually don't think Orlovsky will be that bad). Can little Steve Slaton stand up to another year of carrying the running game? Bloody hope so because not much in reserve.

Andre will stamp himself as No 1 receiver this season ably supported by the underrated duo of Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels, although need another WR to step up. OL is average and the tackles need to improve pass protection.

Antonio Smith and Mario could be lethal but Johnson and Okoye need to improve. Big ??? on DB probably worst in the division which luckily is weak in receivers.

Jaguars - Can Jones-Drew stand up as the No 1 man? Doubt it. 5-7 FFS!!! Yeah he's strong with a weak passing game and possibly worst OL in the division he's going to come under more attention than ever before.

Holt will need to have a huge season to lift the receiving corp .

DL was disappointing last season and LB And DBs have potential but can go missing as in a few games last season. They had injuries last season but can't see where too much improvement is going to come from.

Predicted standings

1. Colts 11-5
2. Titans 10-6
3. Texans 9-7
4. Jags 4-12

Look, I won't pretend to know much at all about this division, but.

1. Colts 12-4
2. Titans 10-6
3. Texans 9-7
4. Jaguars 5-11

With last year being my first season following NFL, my perceptions of how good teams really are might be skewed.

I certainly don't expect the Titans to go on a huge unbeaten run like last season, and I think the Texans showed improvement as the season went on.

Jacksonville, well yeah, I don't think much of them.

So the Colts to hold steady, the Titans to slip a bit from last year and the Texans to slightly improve.

Top summary Barry. Or do I have to call you Mr Besanko??

The Texans, Titans and Jags changing fortunes mean the South is one of the best demonstrations this season of how quickly the cycles of win and loss can change for teams (especially for expansion teams, for some reason)...

Interesting comments there TGBB. The Texans are the Colts real danger.. even though you've slipped the reigning division champs, Titans, in second place. I had the impression the Colts has a tougher schedule but that was a gross exaggeration :eek:. Another 12+ win consecutive regular season campaign on the cards.. especially if they trample all over Arizona in Week 3.

Jags will need Garrard to match/better his 2007 campaign to stand a chance of keeping up with the Colts.. divisional games will be so crucial in the opening month for the Jags.. a winnable mid-season stretch can set the Jags up if they start 2-2 or better.

I'm not convinced the Titans can defend their division title.. therefore, I'm selecting them as my BIG THICK BLACK TEXTA team (play-off no-show).

Texans to improve and Jags to hover thereabouts (better than 4-12 ;)).

1.Colts
2.Texans
3.Jags
4.Titans

Imo, Colts will be the best.
Jaguars, everyone's writing off, but I can see them finishing anywhere from 4th to 2nd, my guess, 2nd.
Titans will stay a good team, but have far fewer wins.
Texans still cant ride them until they show something unfortunately, the promise keeps getting higher and better every year, but until they make that jump it's hard to predict them being a playoff team.

I got a lot of love for the Texans, have always had a soft spot for them and since drafting my boy Stevey Slaton that has grown.
Unfortunately IMO i think they will be the NFL's big disappointment of 09-10. I'm not really basing that on anything in particular, just a hunch i guess. Possibly a raft of injuries or something i dunno.

Jags the big sleeper here for mine, Del Rio is coaching for his job and i think they will come up big and get a playoff berth.

My predicitons:
Colts
Jags
Titans
Texans

Jags the big sleeper here for mine, Del Rio is coaching for his job and i think they will come up big and get a playoff berth.

Feeling pretty good about the Jags this season. I think we might have a .500 or better season and sneak a wildcard.

Colts still the benchmark.Not sure about the Titans or Texans. Will continue to be a very competitive division.

I think it will be the beginning of the end for Indy this year. There's been a lot of changes with the coaching staff and reports that all isn't well with Peyton. I don't think the offense will have the ability to run up as many points on the scoreboard as the D will concede. This might be a bit of a premature call and a bit of bias on my part but yeah I could see the Colts having a 9-7, 8-8 run and missing out on post season.

I rate the Texans and provided they don't fall in a hole and show what they did in the second half of last season then I can see them taking out the South, or hopefully a wildcard at the least. As for the Jags and Titans, I think they're making up numbers.

I rate the Texans and show what they did in the second half of last season then I can see them taking out the South, or hopefully a wildcard at the least. As for the Jags and Titans, I think they're making up numbers.

Like getting pounded by the Raiders....as an indication of where the Raiders are compared to the Texans? Yep, sure hope to see more of that and a Wild Card/Division Title for Oakland in the process. I endorse that.

I think it will be the beginning of the end for Indy this year. There's been a lot of changes with the coaching staff and reports that all isn't well with Peyton. I don't think the offense will have the ability to run up as many points on the scoreboard as the D will concede. This might be a bit of a premature call and a bit of bias on my part but yeah I could see the Colts having a 9-7, 8-8 run and missing out on post season.

I rate the Texans and provided they don't fall in a hole and show what they did in the second half of last season then I can see them taking out the South, or hopefully a wildcard at the least. As for the Jags and Titans, I think they're making up numbers.

"Making up numbers" quip is a killer! :D

I'd like to think I can agree.. but there are too many 'messed up' teams on the Colts schedule to even think they'll actually lose 7.. with Peyton's arm & weapons, that ain't gonna happen.. it's more about what the Colts ddivision rivals can do any different to try beat the Colts for one and keep the Colts honest in those divisional dogfights.

Texans have everything to go for... a division title wouldn't surprise but they'll have to Pound teams to prove they are REAL and not do a Miami 08 by winning their division by default... sorry Fins fans.. call it as I see it.

Is Manning still the Man? He and his crew are getting older and it would just take an injury or two to completely derail their season. But having said that, the whole division is full of questions and not many answers right now.

Can Jacksonville find a good backup to help Jones-Drew. Will their receiving corp be any good at all and will Garrard be able to find them.

Houston have three average quarterbacks who will get no room to move thanks to a fairly non-existant running game if Slaton goes down. Doesn't really make for a good year. If they can get the running game going then the receiving group might have some time to get open on passing plays.

The Titans are a team that are built for the run so Collins just has to make some plays when neccessary. But can he do it? And is Vince Young a better option back there considering his ability to move out of the pocket?

Indy will win the division but this group aren't sending anyone anywhere near a superbowl.

reports that all isn't well with Peyton.
Such as?

Sure I am a homer but if Bob Sanders can stay on the field and someone steps up to be the 3rd WR there is no reason why the Colts won't be in the playoffs. A loaf of bread could coach a healthy Colts team to the playoffs, so I really think the coaching changes will be nothing major and may even make them better with a slightly different approach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL AFC South Preview 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back