AFL’s big F-U to travelling fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much else they could do. Roll the Dice and assume no blackout??
I get some fans may miss/be late but some who were busier at the alternate time can go.
What else was a realistic option?
Poor form to inconvenience four sets of fans. Bugger Foxtel and just move the Hawks game forward to 2.30pm. They can move the golf off one of their channels.
Problem there is AFL is contracted to provide games to fox. So they can't have more than 2 crossover at a time.
Have a contract with producers of shows to show them on other channels. Fox dedicate 2 to footy. Than you have kayo subscribers etc who could sue fox who sue afl.
This is a common sense option that avoids it. Not afls fault here realistically. Be interesting how this is viewed in terms of tassie coming in and obligations of the stadium etc

Did you read the article you linked?

If you're looking to blame anyone, blame TasNetworks.
Yes, I read the article. Why are the electrical workers to blame? Why is it not the employer/state government? Why couldn’t the AFL seek an agreement with the workers to cover the game?

Face it, it’s just shit by the AFL. And then they go ahead and thank everyone (clubs, stadiums, umpires, broadcasters) bar the (travelling) fans who might be most impacted, although an apology might have been more appropriate.

Yes, I read the article. Why are the electrical workers to blame? Why is it not the employer/state government? Why couldn’t the AFL seek an agreement with the workers to cover the game?

Face it, it’s just shit by the AFL. And then they go ahead and thank everyone (clubs, stadiums, umpires, broadcasters) bar the (travelling) fans who might be most impacted, although an apology might have been more appropriate.

TasNetworks is the business facing industrial action.

I never suggested the workers were to blame.

Why would the union strike a deal with the AFL? Wouldn't that undermine their bargaining position? Forcing the AFL to do something like this is part of the reason why their industrial action is so effective. It will get national attention.

Last edited:
Not much else they could do. Roll the Dice and assume no blackout??
I get some fans may miss/be late but some who were busier at the alternate time can go.
What else was a realistic option?

Problem there is AFL is contracted to provide games to fox. So they can't have more than 2 crossover at a time.
Have a contract with producers of shows to show them on other channels. Fox dedicate 2 to footy. Than you have kayo subscribers etc who could sue fox who sue afl.
This is a common sense option that avoids it. Not afls fault here realistically. Be interesting how this is viewed in terms of tassie coming in and obligations of the stadium etc
Yep, roll the dice. Stop pandering.

The Round 24 fixture was only released a month ago; this weeks games were never really designed with travelling fans in mind.

Plus—- there wouldn’t be many that only made arrangements to travel in the past few weeks, especially to watch an 18th placed Richmond

The Round 24 fixture was only released a month ago; this weeks games were never really designed with travelling fans in mind.

Plus—- there wouldn’t be many that only made arrangements to travel in the past few weeks, especially to watch an 18th placed Richmond
I could imagine a number made plans to travel to Tassie, being the last game of the season. A few might even be flying in tomorrow given it was listed at the later starting time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could imagine a number made plans to travel to Tassie, being the last game of the season. A few might even be flying in tomorrow given it was listed at the later starting time.

As I said previously—- the fixture has only been released four weeks ago. Most travelling fans would have booked flight’s & accomodation before the announcement and ensured that their plans included different timeslots.

Not many travelling fans make plans only a few weeks out for a Home & Away game

Watch this space: the next time people ask for a game time or venue to change the AFL will crap on as per usual about how these things are planned in advance and can't just be changed at a moment's notice
The right decision was made, was really out of their control. Or you don’t like our game moved by the hour.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL’s big F-U to travelling fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back