News AFL 2024 AFLPA U22 team announced

Remove this Banner Ad

The 22 under-22 side for the 2024 AFL season has been named, with Fremantle leading the way with four selections. Sheezel has been named vice-captain, with Collingwood star Nick Daicos named captain for the second straight year.

Players must've been aged 22 and under for the entirety of the season (inclusive of Grand Final day – September 28) and have played a minimum of 12 games throughout the 2024 season to be eligible.

Under 22 - 2024 Team

Captain: Nick Daicos (Collingwood)
Vice-captain: Harry Sheezel (North Melbourne)

FBNasiah Wanganeen-Milera (STK)Mac Andrew (GCS)Darcy Wilmot (BL)
HBMax Holmes (GEEL)Josh Weddle (HAW)Colby McKercher (NM)
CErrol Gulden (SYD)Harley Reid (WCE)Jason Horne-Francis (PORT)
HFJack Ginnivan (HAW)Sam Darcy (WBD)Ollie Dempsey (GEEL)
FFJosh Treacy (FRE)Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WBD)Jye Amiss (FRE)
FOLLLuke Jackson (FRE)Harry Sheezel (NM)Nick Daicos (COLL)
I/CMassimo D'Ambrosio (HAW)George Wardlaw (NM)
Josh Rachele (ADEL)Josh Draper (FRE)

Try and split Cmac and Dempsey
Disposals: 17.5 - 17.5
M gained: 271 - 273
Goals: 23 - 20
Pressure act: 13 - 13.3
Tackles: 2.6 - 2.5

So on and so forth, they really only deviate, Dempsey is higher in the intercept possessions and Contested Possessions, CMac is higher in Score Involvements. They do play differently but it's eerie how similar they are statistically.

Both should be in the team, don't think CMac has the profile and Dempsey is a chance for RS so has that momentum.

So on and so forth, they really only deviate, Dempsey is higher in the intercept possessions and Contested Possessions, CMac is higher in Score Involvements. They do play differently but it's eerie how similar they are statistically.

Both should be in the team, don't think CMac has the profile and Dempsey is a chance for RS so has that momentum.
And to not be biased I would probably have Macdonald over Ginnivan

Now do CMac and Josh Rachele.

McDonald is the same age and from the same draft, but less profile as he was a pick in the 20's, rather than pick 6. McDonald plays a similar role and gets more of the ball, more contested ball, better efficiency, more marks, more tackles, more score involvements, more metres gained, more coaches votes, etc, etc. Rachele has kicked 0.3 more goals and 0.2 assists per game extra, but fewer score involvements overall.

McDonald has had some clutch moments in close games that has gotten us over the line this season whilst Rachele has had infamous moments that has done the opposite.

This team doesn't mean much anyway but I think those two could/should be swapped (whilst Dempsey deserves to be there regardless). I don't want to fall in the trap of mids everywhere but I'd also have Callaghan ahead of Draper (and a few others for that matter).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Connor Macdonald is a massive oversight.

Team is still strong though.

They could make one rather easy fix and remove all the players who were already 22 before the season started so that its an actual "under 22" list.

Also, D'Ambrosio on the bench and JHF on the Wing is ridiculous given D'Ambrosio should be AA Wing.

Now do CMac and Josh Rachele.

McDonald is the same age and from the same draft, but less profile as he was a pick in the 20's, rather than pick 6. McDonald plays a similar role and gets more of the ball, more contested ball, better efficiency, more marks, more tackles, more score involvements, more metres gained, more coaches votes, etc, etc. Rachele has kicked 0.3 more goals and 0.2 assists per game extra, but fewer score involvements overall.

McDonald has had some clutch moments in close games that has gotten us over the line this season whilst Rachele has had infamous moments that has done the opposite.

This team doesn't mean much anyway but I think those two could/should be swapped (whilst Dempsey deserves to be there regardless). I don't want to fall in the trap of mids everywhere but I'd also have Callaghan ahead of Draper (and a few others for that matter).
Would take CMAC over Rachele any day of the week. Under rated player.

Love to see this team take on the best of above this age group

Would interest me more than SOO

I doubt they would get within 10 goals.

No disrespect to any of the players but they are still kids.

That FF line is crazy, a team would never actually line up like that.

I would change this by:
  • Connor Macdonald into the team at HFF
  • Move Ginnivan to FP
  • Move Amiss to the bench
  • Get Rachele the hell out of the team.

22 goal assists for Dempsey, 13 to CMac is a sizeable difference when it comes to ranking forwards. Contested marks, bounces, 1%ers all favour him too.

There isn't a huge amount in it, but Dempsey has had a slightly better season. So your post simply would've been better off highlighting other players you thought shouldn't be in the team.

22 goal assists for Dempsey, 13 to CMac is a sizeable difference when it comes to ranking forwards. Contested marks, bounces, 1%ers all favour him too.

There isn't a huge amount in it, but Dempsey has had a slightly better season. So your post simply would've been better off highlighting other players you thought shouldn't be in the team.
I try to stay away from shit canning players and instead focus on building players up with my arguments. Dempsey has been better no arguments here they do have very similar stat lines though. Ginni or Rachele are probably the 2 that could have missed for Croc.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL 2024 AFLPA U22 team announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back