Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
It doesn't. Just tried now after latest update. Both controllers signed in to PS accounts but when I try and add the 2nd controller to the team selection page it comes up with a sign in page within the game which then crashes due to "connection error".
Yeah bro straight up. Can’t even play with my brother without the game having a fit

NsUJcKj.png

Something about a Geelong belting that's good for the soul :p

Had a few weird instances that I didn't capture, eg: a goal umpire moon walking as he signaled for goal

Might need this as a score review, would have called it as a goal myself instead of wasting time with the mark, set shot, then goal :p

Whoops wrong video, intercepted kick in, player steps back (thought it was going to be like a mark animation) before being able to resume control and kick the goal

I feel like I have to put this out there because it’s starting to bug me. There’s such varying levels of opinions, put the crashes aside we are now all on the same patch and therefore (technically) should be playing the same game.

I don’t see how some people are saying the game is playable now and enjoyable and others are saying (after every single patch!) the games broken. It clearly isn’t broken if some are enjoying it. Sure I get it it’s not perfect, but I feel since this launch has been nothing less of an absolute disaster people no matter what Big Ant do have this vendetta and need to say it’s broken.

It’s not broken they are fixing what issues people think are “broken” but still no ones happy. It’s so depressing reading people’s excitement then the next person says “oh I don’t get how you find this fun it’s broken.” Like let people enjoy the game now as it has clearly improved since day one. If you think somethings not working as it should, list your issues, saying it’s s**t, it’s broken doesn’t help anything.

Sorry for the rant… I know people are annoyed but let’s help the team fix it. We have this great opportunity that we can speak to the developers on here and improve the game, I don’t think anyone else really has this opportunity. We need to ride the wave with them and who knows where this game will be in a few months. Everyone will more than likely be looking back at all this stuff and laughing about it.

Hate to be the bloke that quotes himself, but I think it’s a good way to see where the games heading. I posted this 3 days ago as all I was seeing was “this games broken, this is broken that’s broken”. Safe to say it was doing my block in.

It’s been a few days now that I have actually seen people using the word broken to describe things which can only mean the game is now playable. Sure bits an pieces are still a bit clunky, but from launch, to 3 days ago when I posted this, to now, it’s clear the game is in a good space. I still feel like there’s a lot of people who will never be happy.

Hopefully building on this game next year they will be able to fully iron out All the issues if it gets to the point where it’s as far as they can take it.

NsUJcKj.png

Something about a Geelong belting that's good for the soul :p

Had a few weird instances that I didn't capture, eg: a goal umpire moon walking as he signaled for goal

Might need this as a score review, would have called it as a goal myself instead of wasting time with the mark, set shot, then goal :p

Whoops wrong video, intercepted kick in, player steps back (thought it was going to be like a mark animation) before being able to resume control and kick the goal

Yep, Sunlight at Midnight, The MCG was moved to Greenland during the 2070's to take advantage of their Midnight Sun.

Playing on play now, 2 players offline.

Halfway through 3rd quarter on 2nd game commentary disappears then a minute or so later game crashes. Error report submitted.

Game is vastly improved, the spoiling has been fixed and the bounce button is great. If they can get the tackling working this could be a very good game.

It’s gotten too easy again after todays patch
Won 3 games by over 50 on hardest in a row
Interchange still only works for the home team

Switch it over to easy and see what happens (varies on team faced), I can smash teams on Hardest
Yet those same teams thrash me on Easiest

It's like that bizarro episode of Seinfeld!!

Have had a few instances where the increased speed for the AI - last the entire match (rather than in bursts). It's very frustating and makes playing the game much harder than it should. Unsure if it's an intended mechanic 'gone wrong', something to do with the FPS (like what playing 386/486 games on pentium 2-3-4+ hardware). I know Evolution 2's overall game speed was too fast on pc as well.

Yeah bro straight up. Can’t even play with my brother without the game having a fit
What you do is get player 1 to select both teams - then once you enter the game when the teams run onto the ground you can go into the menu and add the second controller and select which team player 2 controls.

What you do is get player 1 to select both teams - then once you enter the game when the teams run onto the ground you can go into the menu and add the second controller and select which team player 2 controls.
Yeah that does work. But in like seasons and management mode it doesn’t work. If they just include the ‘selects sides’ option in seasons/management mode then it’ll be fine.
I’m being a bit over the top but I thought I’d just point it out

Bought it last week but thought I’d wait a while before playing having read this thread. Fired it up last night, some thoughts:

It is quite clearly playable. Imperfect, but playable

It’s gameplay is now on par with Evo2, and is far less cartoonish

The graphics are stunning

The camera angles need work. I’m playing on dynamic but it’s always too far or too close

Tackling is impossible, needs to be fixed

I don’t understand why goal kicking with Danger is different to the in game mechanism

Wish the clock would start at 20 and just run at a quicker pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To reply to above without quoting it all I don’t think the game is really broken so to speak, I haven’t experienced any crashes or any of the teleporting etc.

I get the bald coaches , no interchange or tactics though but majority of time game play is normal.

My issue is patched or not I think this game is going to just fall into the same catergory as previous AFL games it’s just that this one is the best looking one. It’s very frustrating when it’s essentially the same game play as other games win a tap clearance kick mark on 50 and kick a goal. I mean I had a game last night where 4 goals were kicked in a row by the same player from the exact same play every time so with 4 goals on the board and about 10 possessions in total…

If you don’t get the clearance kick out it becomes a handball / missed tackle fest in the centre and when you do win the ball you either have one player out very wide on his own but outside of that your kicking to one on one contests all the time.

Personally for me it just isn’t a reflection of what our game is and it’s not over ally enjoyable for me. The most enjoyable part for me is the stadiums once the ball bounces it goes down hill.

In its current state without interchanges or the sub it’s pointless playing only just for “training”.

The 3 sports games I sink the most time into are NBA , WWE and Cricket. NBA manages to give you a more truer experience of what the game actually is in real life and stats and sizes of players do matter.

WWE 2K had to lift after a doomed release in 20 and they have nailed it, graphically it’s stunning but the game play now whilst it’s always hard to replicate the true nature of how it plays out on TV it’s gone in the right direction as they nailed some very small things inside the ring that make up some of the big things in real life.

Cricket Big Ant get so much right, there’s a couple of annoying things like OP spin and some of the dismissals like bat pad catches are annoying with how regular it happens but there’s nothing more satisfying then really working hard for a wicket on that game with plans that do work. All the stats and attributes of players I feel has no bearing on games whatsoever though and I feel like AFL will be the same because of the nature of how the core gameplay is.

I should add outside of holding the ball I’ve seen no free kicks whether it’s push in back, high tackle, throwing the ball, high contact. No speccies, no floating across to intercept 3rd man up, no pack mark situations it’s all 1v1 or a player is out in space.

It gets very boring real quick when it’s 1v1 marking contest every time or annoying when there’s a player on the 50 with 30 meters of space around him.

Im sorry but this is a complete flop

I cannot believe the amount of patches that are being deployed ?!? It’s like we are in dev mode and the team are finding issues hourly.

It’s embarrassing. Imagine being just a AFL fan, play a few games here and there then you want to play the new AFL game. You’d also be wondering what the f has happened here.

Why didn’t Ross just wait another year? Have big rounds of testing to find bugs and essentially go through the process we are doing, which mind you we have PAID our hard earned money on this game, then release it next year ?

Im sorry but this is a complete flop

I cannot believe the amount of patches that are being deployed ?!? It’s like we are in dev mode and the team are finding issues hourly.

It’s embarrassing. Imagine being just a AFL fan, play a few games here and there then you want to play the new AFL game. You’d also be wondering what the f has happened here.

Why didn’t Ross just wait another year? Have big rounds of testing to find bugs and essentially go through the process we are doing, which mind you we have PAID our hard earned money on this game, then release it next year ?

It’s just a game bro lol $70 people busting their ass to fix it. They know it’s out of sorts comments like this are a week late

Graphically it’s miles ahead but game play it’s the same as any other afl game.
Misinformed about the gameplay mate. In Evo 2 could you do interchanges at Will? Could you control player movement? Could you click the tackle button and get a response every time? Could you kick the ball as soon as your player received it and not wait a one to two second delay? Would the AI apply pressure to the kicker, successful or not? The answers are yes! AFL23 will be better than Evo series eventually but to say it is now is delusional

Last edited:
It’s just a game bro lol $70 people busting their ass to fix it. They know it’s out of sorts comments like this are a week late
Not a week late… everything they said still applies now. Still not at an acceptable release day level, let alone 9 days later…

Big ant don’t seem to know how to release a finished product. There will come a point in time where Big Ant game sales on release will take a plummet. Their games are not reliable to serve the purpose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back