Multiplat AFL 23: Launch Thread (Xbox release date TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
STATE OF PLAY:
  • The game is out for Steam and PlayStation. There have been issues with Xbox release and it is unclear when the game will be available.
  • Big Ant are aware that there are playability issues & bugs at present.
  • Content has been temporarily removed from the game to identify where the issues lie.
  • This content will be re-introduced via patches in the coming days.
  • Big Ant have released a summary of what is to be reintroduced, which can be seen below.

Issues & constructive criticism are best communicated to: support.bigant.com

Michaels Twitch video with QA from Ross(BigAntStudios) from 31:40

Last edited:
Yeah difficulty levels need boosting, playing on PC (hardest) Richmond v Collingwood and won by 105

Speckies are good to see in the game but I had one where balta launched from 5 deep floating like he was MJ in spacejam

Marking needs to be nerfed for us players as I had 20 intercept marks with grimes in that same game

otherwise loving the game, good fun.

What happens if you start a new management mode and play a match? Is it still too easy?

I know they said you can keep playing careers with the patches but maybe that's the problem

Even starting a new management mode I beat Essendon by 104 points.. Play now though is a different story, i get smashed. I'm not sure what's going on lol

anyone else unable to make interchanges in season mode or just change your lineup in general in game. i can do it in play now but not in Season

Does anyone on ps5 have issues connecting to online games? Both custom and quick play it gives me an error and I'm unable to join

Thanks for introducing speccies- is it just Triangle and if the player is in position they will go for it randomly?
And it would be awesome if when the ball is out of play there is an automatic replay of the speccy. The speccy replay would be better to view then the zoomed in slow motion ball spinning towards goal after a goal

Thanks for introducing speccies- is it just Triangle and if the player is in position they will go for it randomly?
And it would be awesome if when the ball is out of play there is an automatic replay of the speccy. The speccy replay would be better to view then the zoomed in slow motion ball spinning towards goal after a goal

Game still well and truly feels like the way to play is hard coded in and if you don’t follow the script it breaks on you, still no control over handballs and it often handballs backwards when not commanding to especially in my defensive end, and marking in a 1v1 is just a hope and pray, jostling and using body for position is non existent. Playable but makes it frustrating key elements are still hard to play with

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a broken mess?
That American youtuber penguins0 gave it a bit of a bake. Kinder than others but
The YouTuber actually didn’t criticise the game much at all, it was that he had no idea about the rules of AFL etc. not included in the video but at the end of playing the game he says along the lines of “not bad, don’t know why it has mostly negative reviews”

Again, he had no clue how AFL works so his comments doesn’t really matter that much

The YouTuber actually didn’t criticise the game much at all, it was that he had no idea about the rules of AFL etc. not included in the video but at the end of playing the game he says along the lines of “not bad, don’t know why it has mostly negative reviews”

Again, he had no clue how AFL works so his comments doesn’t really matter that much
He was pretty confused when he couldn't tackle people after a mark. Had no idea how to enter set shot mode. Also couldn't believe a player could kick a 'field goal' from the boundary line

Steam Patch -

- Speccies! What a pleasant surprise. Getting pinged with holding the ball after pretty frustrating though.
(It appears they trigger when sprinting at the back of someone when the ball is in the air. Maybe a little OP at the moment.)
  • Players stopping and wondering if they left the stove on when receiving a handpass - surely on top of the fix list.
  • +1 for an arrow pointing at the player when you are off screen. Gets hard to know which way you're meant to be running.

Overall, looking good.

Last edited:
Still a broken mess?
That American youtuber penguins0 gave it a bit of a bake. Kinder than others but
It's nowhere near the same standard as Big Ant's other games, and the controls are worse than those bad WW AFL games. You're constantly fighting the player from veering off and doing a curl away from the direction you're telling them to go, playing stuck in the mud or sprinting into the opposition tackler. Definitely needs to be patched more and more.

Last edited:
Obviously not a priority, but I really hope Big Ant eventually fixes the appearance of players numbers. 11's 1s are so close together it looks horrible.
To be honest, it differs between clubs and manufacturers in real life, so I don't see this being fixed until it's standardised in the actual AFL.

BigAntStudios I'm so pleased with where the patches are going. Well done.

Just wondering about a couple of things that come up with custom teams.
When they are created, their logos don't show up in the team selection screen. They do however show up in the Add Player screen.
gp_0006_Layer 1.jpg
They come up in the side select screen but have a bigger one at the back which isn't faded or anything so it looks a bit weird.
gp_0005_Layer 2.jpg
They also do come up in the loading window but sometimes the colours at the back wrong and appear with black text which can be hard to read. The team on the right's main colour is a custom made richer yellow.
gp_0004_Layer 4.jpg
Once loaded, my custom ovals are showing up with Coles and Toyota sponsorship which is unwanted in SA Country Footy.
gp_0003_Layer 5.jpg
Then we get banners. Is it possible to remove them or colour them? All of them are turning up in black.
gp_0002_Layer 6.jpg gp_0001_Layer 7.jpg
The score colours also have troubles and the black is often unreadable.
gp_0000_Layer 8.jpg
I wasn't sure if you guys were seeing this as I assume not many custom teams with custom logos and the like are being made.

BigAntStudios I'm so pleased with where the patches are going. Well done.

Just wondering about a couple of things that come up with custom teams.
When they are created, their logos don't show up in the team selection screen. They do however show up in the Add Player screen.
View attachment 1687071
They come up in the side select screen but have a bigger one at the back which isn't faded or anything so it looks a bit weird.
View attachment 1687070
They also do come up in the loading window but sometimes the colours at the back wrong and appear with black text which can be hard to read. The team on the right's main colour is a custom made richer yellow.
View attachment 1687069
Once loaded, my custom ovals are showing up with Coles and Toyota sponsorship which is unwanted in SA Country Footy.
View attachment 1687068
Then we get banners. Is it possible to remove them or colour them? All of them are turning up in black.
View attachment 1687067View attachment 1687066
The score colours also have troubles and the black is often unreadable.
View attachment 1687065
I wasn't sure if you guys were seeing this as I assume not many custom teams with custom logos and the like are being made.
It'd be cool if you could also customize the umpire uniforms, field sponsors/logos and the goal padding.

Played my first game on PS5.

Is it me and my shockingly bad eyes but I had vivid memories when I was younger that I could work out the players I kicked too. The camera seems zoomed out and the zoomed in version is too zoomed in.

Even when I'm on the ideal camera angle when I kick it I still can tell if I'm going to mark it. Maybe it's my years not playing video games.

However, my initial thoughts-

1. Handballing- WTF. Is up with the opponents literally humping you and not taking you down. Why can't i quick release the ball? I grab it 1 ... 2 want to quick release but can't because the opponent is humping me. I'm having trouble handballing fast and seems like there is no option to handball when being tackled/humped.
2. Better handballing AI- Maybe I'm bad but If I remember in the old games handballing used to be simple and almost brain dead. The AI would get within range and you would flick it to him. Now the AI has trouble getting in range and I'm more times then not I'm handballing to nobody. I wish it was simple. (however could be just me need to get good)
3. Auto Interchanges don't work for me- Players don't automatically rotate
4. Half times stats show but it should also show quarter time

Easier handballing will mean easier plays and more smooth gameplay. I'd go as far as saying every handball should go to the nearest player and remove the skill aspect of it. Unless you want override and trigger the direction you want to have it go. But don't quote me need to play more then 1 game

5. UI is not intuitive- Not a big deal in terms of priorities in fact probs don't fix it. However, in the play now mode why can't I add custom players to my team. I had to edit the list well actually create a copy of that list and edit it then add custom players. That's really not intuitive. I should be able to add (temporarily) custom players to my team in the play now mode.

Last edited:
Played my first game on PS5.

Is it me and my shockingly bad eyes but I had vivid memories when I was younger that I could work out the players I kicked too. The camera seems zoomed out and the zoomed in version is too zoomed in.

Even when I'm on the ideal camera angle when I kick it I still can tell if I'm going to mark it. Maybe it's my years not playing video games.

However, my initial thoughts-

1. Handballing- WTF. Is up with the opponents literally humping you and not taking you down. Why can't i quick release the ball? I grab it 1 ... 2 want to quick release but can't because the opponent is humping me. I'm having trouble handballing fast and seems like there is no option to handball when being tackled/humped.
2. Better handballing AI- Maybe I'm bad but If I remember in the old games handballing used to be simple and almost brain dead. The AI would get within range and you would flick it to him. Now the AI has trouble getting in range and I'm more times then not I'm handballing to nobody. I wish it was simple. (however could be just me need to get good)

Easier handballing will mean easier player and more smooth gameplay. I'd go as far as saying every handball should go to the nearest player and remove the skill aspect of it. Unless you want override and trigger the direction you want to have it go. But don't quote me need to play more then 1 game
I'm sending footage out to the support staff, hand balling and many of the other mechanics are skipping frames of animation and their physics make zero sense. The ball teleports in directions that are contrary to where the player is hitting the ball.

View attachment Crazy hand balling.mp4

Game still well and truly feels like the way to play is hard coded in and if you don’t follow the script it breaks on you, still no control over handballs and it often handballs backwards when not commanding to especially in my defensive end, and marking in a 1v1 is just a hope and pray, jostling and using body for position is non existent. Playable but makes it frustrating key elements are still hard to play with

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah it feels heavily scripted at times and not just with scoring. I've had the catch up "script" multiple times (eg struggling with the AI for virtually the entire game, up until the final 60 seconds where I'm able to score 3-5 goals and either win or just fall short and lose).

Not being able to kick or handball all around the ground is annoying (with pinpoint accuracy). I do think hand passing is much much better in this patch, played many matches and the majority worked (floated to the closest teammate, didn’t see one go 9999998 meters yo the boundary lol).

Marking and tackling need work. Tackling is better since day 1. But they need to stick more, and also reward us more for nailing them when we do.

there's nothing skill full to do with versing the AI when its whoever wins the centre bounce has a 99% chance of scoring.

True to an extent, but if the AI gets it I can usually halt their run forward (including when the AI fast-forwards lol) or block off the last kick to their forward line with a mark. Same as I have in prior games like Evo/Evo 2.

• Players stopping and wondering if they left the stove on when receiving a handpass - surely on top of the fix

I'm still seeing it happen, but not as frequently as before!! Overall movement needs to be tinkered with so we have freedom all of the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back