Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway back to the game. That tactic screen looks no deeper than evo 2. Is that correct for those that have played both?
Looks like Live 1 tactics set up, maybe thereā€™s more options for each line but a little underwhelming considering we were promised the most in depth AFL experience and itā€™s been two months since the initial release date when we were told the game was in great condition donā€™t worry about any gameplay not shown.

Hopefully Ross is true to his words on the promise of the deepest AFL game and we get individual player tactics which would make the games depth nearly on par with FIFA but Iā€™m not holding my breath.

One thing I want to know is can you select tactics that actually make your team look like an AFL team in 2023 or are they mostly arcady option still forcing you to play the open spread out unrealistic positioning?

Sounds like there will be no ability to use custom teams in management mode (or duplicated teams with edited stats). Can't think of a single sports game where this is the case. Disappointing
personally I donā€™t understand the need for changing players stats, especially since they are taken from champion data.

Do people want to make their teams stats be really good to make them OP or make their stats bad to make it more difficult to play?

personally I donā€™t understand the need for changing players stats, especially since they are taken from champion data.

Do people want to make their teams stats be really good to make them OP or make their stats bad to make it more difficult to play?

Changing stats is just one reason - having a larger difference between the best and worst teams.

Custom teams allows you to put Tasmania for example into the comp and build them through the draft over the years.

The beauty of management modes in FIFA/2K etc. is the customisation.

Having the ability to change stats and game sliders = being able to make the game play OUR way (teleport tackles, teleport marks, stuck in mud glitch and all - obviously that's not being stamped out).

I'm back baby - yeeehah

After a week of crashing to desktop on startup, AFL23 is back working and the 6 days of patching have definitely done something.
So I thought I'd try Moonta vs Paskeville from Yorke Peninsula Football League.
First mention is that the team logos are now showing up for Custom Teams in this menu - hoorah! a1.png
Then the Play Now has custom team in the background which looks much better.
The load screen looks good, but still needs some white text. a4.png
You can't hear it but having the SANFL songs on PC is amazing.
a6.png a5.png
Thought I'd give Mt Barker a lash.
a7.png Despite all mybitching, SVG makes some much sense here and makes the laces pop.
a8.png
Great to have stats, but they got lost in black on the black background.
a9.png
Gameplay has definitely improved for me. Really happy with where things are heading.
a10.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well for one i think the player ratings are garbage. i don't really care if they were done by champion data, they're not infallible and some of the overall ratings and individual attributes make very little sense irrespective of whether you're basing it off the eye test, pure statistics or a mix of the two. On top of that both player and team ratings are bunched far too closely together. The former means there isn't enough of a noticeable skill difference between good players and players who are fringe best 22/closer to state league level while the latter affects the sim in management mode where there's not enough separation between the best and worst teams. Two wins separating 7th and 16th isn't realistic at all.

I'm of the opinion that for single player modes the player should be given as much freedom as possible to do what they like so long as it's feasible. And not only is changing player ratings definitely feasible but it's also a staple of pretty much every high profile sports game.

Sounds like there will be no ability to use custom teams in management mode (or duplicated teams with edited stats). Can't think of a single sports game where this is the case. Disappointing
Farcical honestly.
Theyā€™ve handed you a league where Ryan Lester and Patrick Dangerfield are rated the exact same and youā€™re stuck with it. Breaks the realism of management mode.

Playable in gaming always refers to less than complete, less than 100%.

It's a playable demo or the Beta release is in a playable state...

Now is AFL23 playable is a different question and imo it's just getting there now which is not high praise for a game that's been patched so much since release. But it is getting better.

Then its not a game its an unfinished project.

Arguably the best patch since launch(!)

• the tactics work, no obvious bugs or issues
  • teams now save between matches (yes!!!)
  • handballs have a better feel (chaining four or five handballs together currently, hitting the players I wanted)
  • stab passes appear to be higher risk - I don't think it was talked about much before now, but they were clearly OP and somewhere on the list
  • leaving best till last, the single greatest bug fix since launch - the scoreboard now waits for the goal umpire!! Outstanding, mark it down, 5/6/23 - deserving of a national public holiday.

We've been here before, but hopefully this is the version of the game that gets refined from here. You can have numbers at the ball, you can be caught out by a turnover, it's feeling very footy to coin a phrase that should never be used again.

If anyone from BA reads this - if we get slower kicking and players wondering if they should call their mum half way through a contest on Friday, we're going to know for a FACT you're taking the piss.

And if it's the case that there actually is a Monday team and a Friday team at BA HQ, can someone please give the Friday team a big hug while surreptitiously keeping the staff fridge locked until 5pm.

To the Evo4Eva Bros, no, i am not saying the game is perfect, there is still stuff to do. But after that I think we're going to disagree a fair bit.

Last edited:
I saw online there was a glitch where a player was in a neighbourhood street instead of the field ? LOL
Can't believe they even coded that in

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 with added Pro Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back